• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sick Calves

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shorthorn, you're giving enough Baytril for a 450 lb. calf, enough Banamine for a 1000 lb. animal and then enough Draxxin for a 730 lb. calf????? I don't get it.

Texan you did a real, real good job of explaining things to Work/Study. The bad thing is.....he won't understand! Oh, he might understand, he just won't tell you he does. Most of us did though and you made some very good points.

Not real sure about all the drugs/quantities/interactions, but.........mama better be on a HIGH COPPER chelated mineral while that calf is still inside her..........minerals ARE NOT passed through to the calf through mother's milk. Calves, from the minute they hit the ground, are deficient in minerals, and only begin to absorb enough on their own to make any difference when they approach 3-4 months of age. Kansas State has done the work on this.

No/low copper=no immune system. Therefore, some vaccinations will give less than desired results.

That is what is nice about LOOMIX. I've seen 2 day old calves go to the trough with mama and get some. At least they are getting some of what they need, right from the start.

I give my shots according to BQA guidlines. Someone asked what to give to a sick calf. I offered what I and many excellent producers around me do. For me it seems to work better than when I was giving just NuFlor and I won't trade saving a calf that i've worked to grow for a whole year because some Texan seems to think that the difference of 1/16" of muscle or skin will turn the whole country into Vegans. This has simply turned into a petty attack on my politcal stance.

Latest posts