• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Silage Experiment

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TimH

Reaction score
I have a field, that I was going to summerfallow this year, and seed down to grass ,late this fall. It got flooded when we got all that rain and I couldn't touch it.
It grew a good crop of thistle,clover, wild millett, foxtail, volunteer rye, grass, and about 50 other kinds of weeds while I was waiting for the water to go down.
Anyway, I finally got on it and cut most of it yesterday. I'm going to roll it up and wrap it for silage. It'll be interesting to see what kind of feed that makes! :)

TimH said:
I have a field, that I was going to summerfallow this year, and seed down to grass ,late this fall. It got flooded when we got all that rain and I couldn't touch it.
It grew a good crop of thistle,clover, wild millett, foxtail, volunteer rye, grass, and about 50 other kinds of weeds while I was waiting for the water to go down.
Anyway, I finally got on it and cut most of it yesterday. I'm going to roll it up and wrap it for silage. It'll be interesting to see what kind of feed that makes! :)

I'm bettin it will be fine if it wasn't too big and rank when you cut it. It might surprise some of us to know the food value in some weeds, especially at a young stage.

we had a bean field get VERY weedy one year, we combined it and then ran it through a seed cleaner before going to town....all the weed seed was scooped up and thrown into the feed ration, you could watch the pounds just jump on the cattle!

jigs said:
we had a bean field get VERY weedy one year, we combined it and then ran it through a seed cleaner before going to town....all the weed seed was scooped up and thrown into the feed ration, you could watch the pounds just jump on the cattle!
And did you watch the weeds jump out of the manure after it was fed??

Mike- "I'm bettin it will be fine if it wasn't too big and rank when you cut it. It might surprise some of us to know the food value in some weeds, especially at a young stage."

If I decide to get keen and get feed tests done this year, I will let you know the results on this stuff,(you turd!!). :D

Jethro.

If I decide to get keen and get feed tests done this year, I will let you know

Jethro, That would be WEED tests done this year!

Reminding you that you are the original Turd.

:roll: :wink: :shock:

Hey Mike, I KNOW I am the original turd.....thanks anyway for reminding me! :roll:
I baled that field today. Moisture was finally down to around 40%. It was worked last fall with the vibra-shank with honkin' big shovels.....talk about ROUGH!!! :mad:
I had to get my old moto-cross kidney belt and put it on. Getting old really sucks. Good thing I got most of that jug of Tangle Ridge left....I think I'll have a few swigs!!! :D :D :wink:

Jethro.

Latest posts