• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Silver

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Hey Silver, I read somewhere on here that you thought you were the furthest north on this chat site. You said you were from BC, and I was wondering if you could tell us what happened to Rich Hobson, and Panhandle Phillips from the book trilogy that Rich wrote? Maybe someone would know, and I am sure they have been dead quite a while or are pretty old men by now. He kind of left a reader hanging when he ended his last book. Did the Frontier Cattle Company continue in any way?

I was amazed when he said they had a pretty good winter one year as it only got to -50F one time. We are a long way north in the US, but I remember a few years ago, we never got below zero F. that winter. That is not common here, but it did happen once anyway. Thanks.

We would be interested in the answer to those questions as well. Those were my husband's all-time favorite books. Especially Grass Beyond the Mountains.

Several years ago I came home and he was sitting in his chair with his down coat on, reading that book. Made him cold just to read it!!!

He says it used to be what those guys were through was so exciting to him. Now, older as wiser, he says with a chuckle, "they weren't real good managers."

I'm sorry, some how I managed to miss this thread. I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you, but these books sound interesting. Could you tell me a little a little more about these books? (Titles, author, etc.)

As far as the cold goes, I did see it at -60F this winter, and last winter we a couple of days at -63F. Cold enough. :)

Just read "Rancher Takes a Wife", the book that follows "Grass Beyond the Mountains", by Richmond P. Hobson, Jr. great reading!!! Now I've seen the pics of your stomping grounds, Silver, I surely can believe some of those winters!!! My, the woman (Gloria) who married the rancher was an awfully good sport! Another book written by him was "Nothing Too Good For A Cowboy". He died in 1966, (age 59) has a daughter named Cathy. Living the hard life he did, no wonder he died at an early age!!

He was on the Nechako and Blackwater rivers, wherever that is from you. Hope this helps!

Thankyou for the help! I appreciate it. I have heard of the book "Rancher Takes a Wife" before, but didn't realize that it was almost local. That area is quite a ways south and west of me, about 5 hrs or so by truck. Beautiful area.
So now my mission is to track down the books, I think maybe some of the neighbours have copies.

Holy smokes Silver. You are way up north. Can you see Santa's workshop from there? :lol: Another area he mentioned quite a bit was Anahim Lake. He was north of that I believe. I have looked on a BC map for locations he mentioned, and cannot believe the country they covered horseback. Amazing. I would sure like to find out what became of Hobson and Phillips after the books ended.

As Panhandle would say, "nothing to it, everything is easy!"

At or near the end of the third book it sounded like Panhandle and his family were staying on ranching the home ranch. It sure would be interesting to find out if they stayed ranching and if the family kept it going. Quite interesting all those griz on the porch when Pan and his wife arrived back on the ranch. And my wife complains if she sees a mouse around the house. :)

If I remember right Pan had more close calls with cow moose than anything-I remember reading about one chasing him across a big meadow. When the ears go back and the hair comes up on those old girls watch out.

Northern Rancher said:
If I remember right Pan had more close calls with cow moose than anything-I remember reading about one chasing him across a big meadow. When the ears go back and the hair comes up on those old girls watch out.

I have to agree with you there. Nothing worse than a moose with attitude. I would sooner deal with the bears any day. Seems like every winter, on towards spring, I get the run put on me by a moose. I don't know what it is about that time of year, but that's when they do it. (or if they have a brand new calf, but when they do that they're not in the hay pile so it's not such an issue)

Silver said:
Thankyou for the help! I appreciate it. I have heard of the book "Rancher Takes a Wife" before, but didn't realize that it was almost local. That area is quite a ways south and west of me, about 5 hrs or so by truck. Beautiful area.
So now my mission is to track down the books, I think maybe some of the neighbours have copies.

Siver,

I finished all three books, did you get a chance to track them down and read them? Now I really know the word Cowboy Up!

Excellent reading, sometimes laugh out loud, sometimes the eyes about pop out!

I'm sure I have mentioned it before here, but my husband says those are the best books he has ever read. We own 'em all and he loans them to anyone he thinks would like 'em. We actually are on our second set; the first ones are pretty dog-eared. I bought the first ones at a book store in Ananconda. My hubby had read them in school and always mentioned what good books they were. My eyes about popped out when I ran across them at that bookstore. They were out of print in the US and were bootlegged in from Canada...

If you haven't read them, they need to be a MUST on your book list.

A google search brings up this website, which is located in Panhandle Phillips area. Shows what I assume to be the old ranch house of the Home Ranch.
http://www.rainbowadventuresbc.com/Adventures.html

Faster horses said:
I'm sure I have mentioned it before here, but my husband says those are the best books he has ever read. We own 'em all and he loans them to anyone he thinks would like 'em. We actually are on our second set; the first ones are pretty dog-eared. I bought the first ones at a book store in Ananconda. My hubby had read them in school and always mentioned what good books they were. My eyes about popped out when I ran across them at that bookstore. They were out of print in the US and were bootlegged in from Canada...

If you haven't read them, they need to be a MUST on your book list.

Yup, you had mentioned it before and you were absolutely right! Can still get new paperbacks ordered from Barnes & Noble, spouse ordered the first two for his dad for father's day.

DJL said:
A google search brings up this website, which is located in Panhandle Phillips area. Shows what I assume to be the old ranch house of the Home Ranch.
http://www.rainbowadventuresbc.com/Adventures.html

WOW!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Some very tough looking country-but so beautiful!

This is another search result. I have no idea if it is accurate, or merely a sales tactic.

http://sheldows.com/smincweb/pan_phillips_ranch%20page.htm

Hey Silver, what would a place like that sell for, in your neck of the woods? Gotta get me one of those!

As to what happened to Rich Hobson, Google says:

1907-1966

Rich Hobson Passes On

"Rich" Hobson died suddenly at his River Ranch 50 miles south of Vanderhoof on Monday August the 8th from a coronary attack.

He is survived by his wife Gloria, a daughter, Cathy; his mother, Mrs. Grizelda Hobson; a brother, George of Virginia and a sister, Lucia Stokes of Lennox, Massachuttes.

Richmond P. Hobson Jr. , was born in Washington, D. C. , son of Rear Admiral Richmond P. Hobson of Spanish-American War fame.

His colorful character developed early.

"I learned to ride horseback, shoot a rifle and steal watermelons in Alabama," Rich has been quoted as saying, "I played hookey in California, sneaking off into the mountains where I worked with pack outfits, survey crews, and construction gangs."

In an effort to make enough money to buy a cattle ranch, Rich Hobson, Jr. worked as a broker, insurance salesman, oilfield roughneck, and sparring partner for a bunch of fighters. Then his savings disappeared in the stock market and he decided that if he couldn't own a ranch, he would at least work on one. With that in mind he went to Wyoming, and before long he was headed for British Columbia and a new frontier.

"It took me thirteen years punching cows and breaking horses, several cracked bones, my feet frozen twice, a lot of bruises and scars, and a marriage, before I finally achieved my objective, a ranch of my own.

Rich, along with his wife, Gloria developed and sold Rim Rock Ranch south of Vanderhoof and they have been developing River Ranch in a nearby locality since that time.

The name Richmond Hobson is known across the continent and around the world. It meant many different things to different people.

Far and wide Rich had fans who valued him for giving them literary works that caught their fancy, gave them hopes and aspirations, and in some cases molded their destinies. He had personal friends in all walks of life of many creeds and colors.

Rich, in Vanderhoof was an attraction to tourists, as was his writing attractive to settlers.

The annual Frontier Jamboree began as a tribute to his first book "Grass Beyond the Mountains. "

The two other publications that Rich wrote were "Nothing Too Good For A Cowboy" and "The Rancher Takes a Wife."

Rich was a charter member of the Rotary Club in Vanderhoof.

Just seen this thread, I had the privlage of knowing Pan somewhat. Pan passed in '83, I attended his funeral in Quesnel all the "Jackpine Royalty" were there. He was the definition of tough old SOB a real cowboy and pioneer pretty much in life as he was described in the books. As for books, Pan's daughter wrote one of which the name escapes me it's a good read, and there's another which I have not read "The Legend of Panhandle Phillips.

Pan's Daughter..Diana Phillips wrote the book Beyond the Chilcotin...........I'm reading it right now.........good read......those folks were tougher than woodpecker lips!! :lol: :lol:

Latest posts