• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

SKINNY Angus

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Texan said:
HAY MAKER said:
...if you want you can come and get me and drive up there...
I ain't going to New York with you...or anybody else. Admit it - you're just looking for a free ride to get close to the border so you can cross the line and hustle Canadian women. And then you'd find out that you don't really want an Eastern Canadian woman, so you'd head for Saskatchewan looking for that Angus/Paint breeder chick that you dream about at night. And then I'd have to drive all the way back to Texas by myself. Nope. :lol:

For God's sake, don't leave him up here. :shock:

kelpies4me said:
Thanks HM. Hard to tell well in thick winter coats. Thanks for the support. I have no dog in this fight, as it were, I just hate to see animals not doing well, when there should be a simple answer. I will check in tomorrow and see if indeed, the owner showed up with sileage. They were balling for it at 1:00, and the guy wasn't there yet.
You did the right thing by being concerned and getting involved. It's always a good idea to ask for other opinions - and that's exactly what you did here. Don't ever be afraid to ask questions and get involved with something you think might not be right. Stay after him about upping their energy intake and keep us updated.

gcreekrch said:
For God's sake, don't leave him up here. :shock:
He'll never make it that far west. But if he does, he'll probably be tuckered out and ridin' a Paint horse. :lol:

Dylan Biggs said:
nortexsook said:
The only foolish one is yourself. You can't be an appeaser. These folks don't meet your standards. Too bad, they should be allowed to run their own operations. You think you are "helping the industry's image". You are not. Soon enough your standards will not be high enough for the greenie HSUS crowd. You will end up like the great appeaser Neville Chamberlain, thinking if you can clean up other's messes there will be "peace in our time" with the HSUS crowd. Not happening. See what happened after the Munich Agreement for historical perspective.

Didn't Jesus say: "first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye"????????

Nortexsook for the sake of clarification, if you don't mind, if in fact there were cattle in your neighborhood that you were aware of that were dieing of starvation would your position still be, they should be allowed to run their own operation?

I wouldn't like it. I take care of my stock. I don't like suffering. But I mind my own business and I sure as hell don't even consider the Humane Society! Just for clarification!

First person I would talk to is the owner of the cattle. Last person would be the humane society. I've got about 10 cows that look like the one out of 160. Of course I've sorted off some and put with the replacement heifers but I bet I could sort off another 10 head.

That cow looks more like lack of grass before winter It'll take along time and alot of high energy feed to get her into shape.

I'm not going to judge the guy as I know what it's like to be short on feed and short on money.

"That government is best that governs least." It would be none of my business, unless the cattle were very emaciated and completely without water or feed. I have noticed that ranchers that don't feed and take care of their livestock tend to weed themselves out sooner or later.

Yanuck said:
if you can't afford to feed them, you shouldn't own them.

That is true, but how do you define the fine line between being meddlesome and private property ownership rights. As Spike Van Cleve would have said, when in doubt "let sleeping, by God, dogs lie." :wink:

Denny said:
First person I would talk to is the owner of the cattle. Last person would be the humane society. I've got about 10 cows that look like the one out of 160. Of course I've sorted off some and put with the replacement heifers but I bet I could sort off another 10 head.

That cow looks more like lack of grass before winter It'll take along time and alot of high energy feed to get her into shape.

I'm not going to judge the guy as I know what it's like to be short on feed and short on money.

Short on feed and short on money eh ? you think thats a valid reason to let cattle BS 2 ?
If your short on feed and money,now listen close cause I know this is gonna be hard for you to undestand.......You need to be short on cattle.
Now Texan gets A+ for not believeing every thing he reads,but in my book he gets an F for lookin the other way when he drives by cattle that BS 2,hell why dont we look the other way when someone is commiting a crime,I want to tell you "look the other way" folks something,this country was not built by people like you looking the other way.
It was built by folks that worked hard and did the right thing,maybe we oughta look the other way when we see child abuse ?
Why not,its none of your buisness right,excluding sickness there is no valid reason to let cattle get to bs2,I hope to prove that shortly and if I dont Im done.
good luck

Do we know the deal the cattle owner made with the landowner about pasture and feed? There are far too many unknowns for me to pass judgement on the cattle owner. If the authorities are notified the land owner would be in a bad position since the cattle are on his poperty and he has hay. The cows may be thin but I doubt they are BCS 2. They have hay in the round bale feeder. Most hay that is put up in the north east has enough energy and protien to winter dry cows with out supplement. The biggest challenge to hay quality in the north east is getting dry and putting it up with out getting it rained on. If any action is to be taken talk with the landowner first and find out all the details.

Mt 18:15 New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother.

Galations 6:1 Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted.

Good advice from Omniscience.

Listen everyone :)

I am not calling the spca. These animals are being fed, albeit, clearly low quality feed, as evidenced by their low weight. I did ask in my first post if this could be parasites, or what exactly could be used to get them to gain fast, but safely. I am not meddlesome, or casting stones. These are thin animals going into a very cold winter who never looked like that last winter (when there were fewer animals). I never thought this post would create such angst.

Spit happens when you have livestock. Can't avoid it- animals get hurt, die, do poorly, but as long as you do the best you can, and that includes feed decent groceries, that's the best you can do.

Just about everyone here who posts pics of cattle here, show to me what healthy cattle should look like, and these ain't them.

Bottom line, is that I believe the pressure to the cattle owner will yield good results, because in the end, cattle like this will bring no $$ at butcher time and that's why he has them.

HAY MAKER said:
Now Texan gets A+ for not believeing every thing he reads,but in my book he gets an F for lookin the other way when he drives by cattle that BS 2...
Where the hell did you come up with that? :???:

I never posted anything even close to that. Maybe you're thinking of somebody else?

My main contention is that in cases like this, we should give advice based on what we see.

nortexsook said:
Dylan Biggs said:
nortexsook said:
The only foolish one is yourself. You can't be an appeaser. These folks don't meet your standards. Too bad, they should be allowed to run their own operations. You think you are "helping the industry's image". You are not. Soon enough your standards will not be high enough for the greenie HSUS crowd. You will end up like the great appeaser Neville Chamberlain, thinking if you can clean up other's messes there will be "peace in our time" with the HSUS crowd. Not happening. See what happened after the Munich Agreement for historical perspective.

Didn't Jesus say: "first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye"????????

Nortexsook for the sake of clarification, if you don't mind, if in fact there were cattle in your neighborhood that you were aware of that were dieing of starvation would your position still be, they should be allowed to run their own operation?

I wouldn't like it. I take care of my stock. I don't like suffering. But I mind my own business and I sure as hell don't even consider the Humane Society! Just for clarification!

Your stance to be more of an issue of dislike, or distrust, or both of the Humane Society then it does an animal care issue.

We don't have the "Humane Society" up here in Alberta, we have an Ag Industry based organization called AFAC (Alberta Farm Animal Care) that take care of these issues when they arrive, through BSE they were quite active and took cattle away from people who for whatever reason couldn't or wouldn't take care of there own business and were starving their livestock to death. If AFAC is alerted to a situation of concern the appropriate professionals are called upon to access the situation. If no action is required none is taken if action is required it is taken. It is not a "political" decision, strictly an animal care decision.

Thank you for your clarification, it is too bad animal care is such a politicized issue, seems that animals in need will endure the affect of inaction as a result of politicization.

Dylan Biggs said:
nortexsook said:
Dylan Biggs said:

Your stance to be more of an issue of dislike, or distrust, or both of the Humane Society then it does an animal care issue.

We don't have the "Humane Society" up here in Alberta, we have an Ag Industry based organization called AFAC (Alberta Farm Animal Care) that take care of these issues when they arrive, through BSE they were quite active and took cattle away from people who for whatever reason couldn't or wouldn't take care of there own business and were starving their livestock to death. If AFAC is alerted to a situation of concern the appropriate professionals are called upon to access the situation. If no action is required none is taken if action is required it is taken. It is not a "political" decision, strictly an animal care decision.

Thank you for your clarification, it is too bad animal care is such a politicized issue, seems that animals in need will endure the affect of inaction as a result of politicization.

Now by God,that's well put Dylan and exactly what I been tryin to say,guess that's the differnce between an educated man putting forth a comprehendable explanation and a uneducated hick,thanks
Happy New Year & Good luck

I think the confusion lies in that there are local Humane Societies and then there is the HSUS. The local HS is also animal control and run the pet adoption centers, in some areas it is the ASPC or something like that. They work for the county or city, and have guidelines to follow. They are concerned with the animal's welfare, not their rights.

The HSUS it the animal rights group that is out to stop all animal agriculture, pet owning, hunting even fishing. They take in millions of dollars and use most of it to lobby against farming and hunting. They do nothing for real animals, less than 1% of the money they take in goes to helping real animals. They are a political organization that is huge and dangerous, but they really do not care about animals, if they were called out on these animals they would do nothing but document the animals condition and video them until they starved to death so they could use it against farmers in a political forum or on a bill to stop some aspect of farming. If the aniamls were not going to die they would just leave since it would not help their cause.

Like prop 2 in California that will no longer allow egg ranches to keep their chickens in the pens they currently use, each chicken will require x amount of space. They used pictures of downer cattle being mistreated to get this law passed even though it had nothing to do with cattle.

So if you see animals that are in danger of being starved or in conditions that are not conducive to survival, contact the owner, if that does not work call sheriff, Animal control or the SPCA they will try and remedy the problem prior to taking the animals. If the owner is unable to provide the animals with the bare essentials for survival they will then take them away. Animal Welfare, not rights is their concern

Just an update:

Since I last posted, the owner of the cattle has been feeding sileage once a day.

One healthy calf was born to the hereford/angus cross cow.

They lost one heifer to getting stuck in the hay feeder, which I am told is not that unusual.

This morning, the ewe necked cow was found dead. The cattle, in general look perkier to me, but at least one is extremely thin.

There is no need for strife about this :oops: It's just an update. Here's to spring and grass coming soon I hope!

Latest posts