• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Slaughter capacity

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
Early this week the neighbor called over to Caviness about getting a load of kill cows in to the plant. He was told that the first available date was June 29. They told him the retail product was selling well. They are just short staffed and can't get anymore people to come to work. They have the capacity to run 2,000 head a day. But they are only running 1,600-1,700 a day. We went ahead and booked in 100 head for August 15. That will be our broken mouth cows.

Even the small abattoirs are busy, I take a couple cows at a time out to Virden Manitoba for my daughter for hamburger at her Ice Cream/ Burger shop. The butcher is really good about fitting them in but they have standing spots book ahead and on occasion he will do some juggling if they need another pair killed but normally they are booked 6 months ahead.

Early this week the neighbor called over to Caviness about getting a load of kill cows in to the plant. He was told that the first available date was June 29. They told him the retail product was selling well. They are just short staffed and can't get anymore people to come to work. They have the capacity to run 2,000 head a day. But they are only running 1,600-1,700 a day. We went ahead and booked in 100 head for August 15. That will be our broken mouth cows.
I remember when that slaughterhouse east of Baker was still operating and there was a large meat-cutting outfit also on the east side of the freeway. Is Caviness only plant in Amarillo and Hereford, Texas?

Caviness is in Kuna Idaho in little south of Boise. It has other names but that is what all the locals call it.

Always an excuse for packer collusion. The weeks following the paper box fire that shut down the Tyson plant in Kansas several years ago, there were actually more cattle slaughtered than the weeks previous. Why would the four packers that kill nearly 85% of the cattle want to add capacity when they have been making as much as $1400 a head? We need actual competitive markets more than anything.

Latest posts