• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Small ranch: Sell or keep heifers for beef

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cfink

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on whether i should raise or sell my heifers.

I have a small farm, newish to ranching, and I run less than 10 dexter cows and a bull. All cattle are kept together except for 3 months once calving starts in april. It can get down to -40*C here in jan/feb and only have 1 barn/shelter. I'm worried about keeping the heifers seperate so they aren't bred back to the bull by accident. Would the effort be worth it in the end?

Would i be better off selling any heifers i dont intend breed
-or-
Should i deal with managing them separate and raise them for beef as i would the steers

Well I am a larger rancher and we don't keep our bull with the cows year round. we pick them up after a 50 to 60 day breeding season and a 30 day on the hfrs. Why not build a good wind break pen for your bull to keep separate. The hfrs not bred in 30 days could go into your meat program.

I myself would find a sucker and sell them all at a premium. Then I would buy some good angus cattle so the day you really need some money you will have a salable animal at you local livestock auction. If you don't need to make money then keep on keeping on and build a bull pen. Either get in the business get out or get out of the way.

oh you know build trailers run cows. A few weddings and 5 grand kids so busy busy our youngest son Lane graduated last year so he's working in the shop and on the farm. This place has sure fizzled from what it once was.

Ya pretty quiet around here, just a few of us old diehards. Always ready to welcome a old friend in for a visit.

Heck Kola even sticks her nose in on occasion to let us know why we don't miss her.

yeah this place needs Cory back at least he would peck a fight and stir things up. Life's pretty short when you think about it.

Latest posts