• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Snake River Crossing June 1 2011

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jassy

Reaction score
The big bunch of cows & calves headed out this morning to their summer pastures...(though it was 39degrees this morning) The cows were just plain goofy this morning..didn't want to go where they have gone for years..so a 20minute crossing turned into an hour & half...plus they still had 14miles left to travel...so it's been a long day for the crew..(notice I'm not still out there..lol) So thankful for Neighbors,friends and kids who came to ride today..Get to do it again next week with a smaller bunch..but they're heifers with calves..hope they wont' be as goofy.!!

DSC06537.jpg

First set of riders that arrived

DSC06543.jpg

Cows a coming down Hwy 97

DSC06589.jpg

DSC06595.jpg

Finally heading across the river

DSC06606.jpg

DSC06650.jpg

This NFR cowboy saved the day many many times!!!

DSC06679.jpg

DSC06681.jpg

The 3 yungins...

DSC06694.jpg

River is deep in spots..

DSC06697.jpg

This cowgirl knows what she's doing..big help even on a young horse..

DSC06746.jpg

This cowboy sure can make that bullwhip snap loud..it echoed in the river canyon...

DSC06836.jpg

To many calves left to cross...cows just left em..

DSC06908.jpg

Finally getting the last ones across

DSC06997.jpg

Finally on the otherside of the river headin North..

DSC06998.jpg

Hubby sneaking through the gate

DSC07012.jpg

and off they go..with the "cheap" help on drag...lol

Great pictures that tell a fascinating story! Thanks for posting them. A lot of us here in the east would never get a glimpse of that if you wouldn't put them up. Thanks so much!

We helped a neighbor take 100 of his cows to the forest today. What we have done in under 3 hours, turned into an all day event. Should have taken my camera, but its still sittin here on the 'puter desk right where its been for a week. We had to cross the Niobrara, instead to the Snake tho.

LazyWP said:
We helped a neighbor take 100 of his cows to the forest today. What we have done in under 3 hours, turned into an all day event. Should have taken my camera, but its still sittin here on the 'puter desk right where its been for a week. We had to cross the Niobrara, instead to the Snake tho.

So what was it about going to the forest today that the cows were nuts??? Must of been the fairly nice weather..lol they weren't use to it! Sorry you had a long day also...

Burnt..Glad you enjoyed the cattledrive today

Faster horses said:
I'm curious, how long did it take to mother up the pairs after crossing
the creek?

Well I bet it didn't take that BBF cow very long, looks like she was trying her best according to the pics :wink: :) .

Great pics, as usual! I'm glad you got it done... now maybe you can get a little break :D .

Faster horses said:
I'm curious, how long did it take to mother up the pairs after crossing
the creek?

Actually we didn't wait around to pair up once we got across the river,,just kept going cause were afraid they would bolt back to the river if we stopped...but once at the destination pasture it takes about 3hrs to pair everything out...Good news was that today the guys went up to check and everything was happy and content..no calves came back!

That was good luck!
Do you ever split that big bunch up so you don't have to trail so
many at once?

I can remember on the Powder River (a mile wide and an inch deep)
when some heifers with their calves just would not cross the river.
Suddenly, Tom, whose grandfather owned the cows, and Mr. FH
each roped a calf and galloped across the river with the calves in tow.
It looked like speed boats out in the water. :shock:
I was so startled by this~I was afraid they just lost patience and
decided to get the calves across any way possible.
Little did I realize the rope had the
calves chocked so they didn't get water in their lungs and time was of
the essence.
Then the guys
each roped another calf and did the same thing. When
4 calves were on the other side, then the cows decided to go across.

Latest posts