• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

snow snow snow

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tlakota

Reaction score
Is anybody else getting of this lovely white stuff? Weve got about 8-10 inches rite now. Only had one calf today and he was up and sucking before in started snowing. He must be hiding under a hay bale rite now. Ive got a calf shelter for the calves to go in. I have a feeling it is going to be a mess around here, this next week. How are everybody elses calves holding up?

So far they calves are doing well. We are supposed to get some snow too this week, and I'm hopeful it will come. It has been such a cold, windy, miserable spring so far, it might as well snow. Usually by this time I've started on fences and dragging meadows, but this year it's been too cold to do anything outside :D .

A cold, wet "spring" here as well. Forcast calls for rain most of this week. So far no spring work has been done. All the manure is piled up waiting to be spread. Calves are in mud, pastures are soggy and there is no grass. So far, have not had a lot of health problems despite the undesirable weather. I am ready for a change, that being warmer and drier.

I guess I'm lucky because I'm further south than most people here and, relatively speaking, we're pretty warm, but.....this does seem to be the winter that keeps on giving.

We were suppose to get some rain, but noooooooooooo....just 35mph winds allday today...We've been watching SD news and it don't look fun up there at all...as we sat in the hottub tonite,,stars shining,,wind died down,,,hubby commented on how glad we werent in the winter storm that you were getting...Hang in there,,,I know spring is coming!

This was yesterday at about 8-9am. It looked like a bunch of white birds were molting and their feathers were falling from the sky.
Rolled out a straw bale for the pairs. Happy calves.

Promandstorm064.jpg

Good grief, some of you characters live in some pretty tough country! And here I was feeling sorry for myself because spring, while it is progressing, is 10 days behind. Ahhh.... the north country.....
You guys hang in there!

All around Alberta got dumped on this weekend, except us. We really need some moisture, but no crying, I know we'll get a good shot of snow before the grass turns green, we always do. The inlaws woke up yesterday morning to 6" on their lawn, and by last night they had a good foot of real heavy wet stuff.

PureCountry said:
All around Alberta got dumped on this weekend, except us. We really need some moisture, but no crying, I know we'll get a good shot of snow before the grass turns green, we always do. The inlaws woke up yesterday morning to 6" on their lawn, and by last night they had a good foot of real heavy wet stuff.

Holy smokes! You gotta be kidding! I've never seen anything like that here, I can't even begin to imagine the ordeal that would be.

No sarcasm, can't say as it's balmy here either. From where I live I can almost see Santa... We just don't get that kind of snow here. Don't know why, we just don't.

It started snowing here around 1 AM last night, but never got to going good till this morning. Then we had a good old fashioned blizzard for a few hours.

Hard to tell how much snow we got but I'm guessing somewhere in the 6-8" range. Could have used another foot or more as we are desperate for moisture. Never did get that cold--stayed in the upper 20's then cleared off by 2:00 PM this afternoon.

I went out and rolled out a bunch of bales and straw for the cows and their calves this afternoon and everything seemed to be in good shape.

Here's our storm calving pasture for the range cows. I rolled some hay out for them to pull them into the creek yesterday.

DSC02937.jpg

Here's a newbie I snapped while rolling out more hay this afternoon. They have plenty of protection from the wind out any direction, they also have access to the shed and windbreaks. They usually stay in the trees along the creeks. During dry years you can't beat a good creek for storm calving. Now when they're full of water it can be another story.

:roll:

DSC02987.jpg

[/img]

I think it was a little tougher to the north and east of us today. Hopefully Lazy Ace, TTB, and BRG made it thru in good shape. I'm sure the moisture is welcome up there also. :wink:

Report from the Sunny South...................

After 3 days of rains, with a total of about 4",it's FINALLY stopped. Grass is growing so fast cows can't keep up!!!

I'm gonna mow grass ALL DAY today all around the farms bldgs, yard, fence rows....make it all look ' purty"!!!!

Oh yeah....to be 78F today also!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Talked to my brother at the ranch this morning and he said they had at least 15 inches on top of his pickup that was parked behind some trees. I am in Fargo, and we had around 8 inches here. Talked to a friend in Bismarck last night around 6:00 and they never had a flake yet.

I am asure Lazy Ace & TTB had about the same as we did. They are only about 20 miles West of us. I am sure it was a long night and day calving though. Glad we don't start until May.

Actually it wasn't too long of a day or night of calving. The cows did a good job of getting their calves up and sucking so we didn't even have to bring a single sole in...except for half of three sets of twins. We'd been getting pretty lucky in the twin department---Mom had been claiming both, but that came to an end yesterday.

Our worst wreck was when one of our young mares decided to polka with a fence and the fence won. She'll be fine, but peeled up and sore for sometime.

We did not get nearly the snow BRG's family did...somewhere around 6 inches I'd say at our place. It was a dry snow that blew a lot-odd for this time of year. By 6:00 last night is was nearly 50, maybe even warmer.

The school is closed today...nice day for a snow day, I'd think!

EP...glad you got some more much needed moisture. I hope your snow was wetter than ours.

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

:) Happy you all made out Ok.We sure can use the moisture,driest spring I've ever seen here,if it continues we're in trouble.A dry snow is about as good as nothing.

Latest posts