• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Soap I have a question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
" Carol gave vaccinations of One Shot PMH, injectable Dectomax, Vison 7/Somubac, and nasal Inforce 3; "
Do you give these shots for the health of the calves for the summer on the ranch or for Pre-conditioning shots for sale in the fall?
Will you give the calves you sell a second set of vaccinations before they leave the ranch?

Big Muddy rancher said:
" Carol gave vaccinations of One Shot PMH, injectable Dectomax, Vison 7/Somubac, and nasal Inforce 3; "
Do you give these shots for the health of the calves for the summer on the ranch or for Pre-conditioning shots for sale in the fall?
Will you give the calves you sell a second set of vaccinations before they leave the ranch?

Sometimes I think it is for the health of the vaccine suppliers :) , but on a more serious note, we give these shots in the spring. We also give a full round of pre-conditioning shots in the fall, about three to six weeks before we sell the calves. The calves tend to breathe better if they have vaccine needle holes in their skin to take some of the load off of their nostrils.

One year we had a lot of summer sickness. Since we've been giving the Once PMH (it is not "One Shot PMH" as I originally posted), it has cut down on the problem.

Soapweed said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Sometimes I think it is for the health of the vaccine suppliers :) , but on a more serious note, we give these shots in the spring. We also give a full round of pre-conditioning shots in the fall, about three to six weeks before we sell the calves. The calves tend to breathe better if they have vaccine needle holes in their skin to take some of the load off of their nostrils.

One year we had a lot of summer sickness. Since we've been giving the Once PMH (it is not "One Shot PMH" as I originally posted), it has cut down on the problem.

We use the Once PMH at birth and have seen a big change to the good.

I see Once PMH and Inforce 3 are both intra nasal vaccines. Interesting

I guess there is a Once PMH SQ and a Once PMH IN different vaccination routes.

It pays to read. :D

Big Muddy rancher said:

According to what I have studied, the IN delivery pathway results in quicker immunity but not necessarily long term. Our vet has us doing Once PMH IN as the first round and then boosting with Once PMH SQ.

rancherfred said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

According to what I have studied, the IN delivery pathway results in quicker immunity but not necessarily long term. Our vet has us doing Once PMH IN as the first round and then boosting with Once PMH SQ.

According to their literature it's not supposed to be given until at least a week of age, which for me at least is problematic.

Silver said:
rancherfred said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

According to their literature it's not supposed to be given until at least a week of age, which for me at least is problematic.

I use Inforce 3 at birth and Once PMH in the fall at preconditioning/weaning time.

Latest posts