• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Soapweed made the front page!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Well, actually it was Bob Moreland who made the front page of the Tri-State Livestock News, but Soapweed made page 2, with his branding gizmo!!

Congratulations!! Good article!! Might have helped if the photo was larger, but that was up to the Tri-State. I was just extremely glad to see it in print.

Now my husband has something in black and white to show the 'doubters' around here! LOL!!!

We branded our last bunch of calves this past Monday. It was a nice day, and we had portable panels set up in an empty hay-yard by Wilson Lake. We talked our daughter-in-law into coming out to take both still pictures, and a video. Things went pretty good, and four of us processed 115 calves in three hours. We'll have some late calves to do someday, but they aren't even all born yet, so there is no rush. Last week, we branded with our gizmos on three different days, so we're kinda starting to get the hang of it. They work pretty doggoned good.

On the Tri-State Livestock News webpage, there is a picture of Mrs. Soapweed. It is on www.tsln.com and then it is in the photo gallery section entitled "Having Fun". I think this was in the paper two years ago, and received second place in the April photo contest.

The caption under the picture reads: "Steve Moreland on the horse taking the picture having fun while his wife Carol Moreland doctors the calf and does the work. Photo by Steve Moreland, Merriman, NE"

Soapweed I was talking to a friend tonight and was telling him about your branding rig. He was telling me about a old fellow out by Maple Creek SK. that has a tree fork made out of iron and hooks to the trailer hitch reciever on his truck with a cleat some thing like the one I was telling you about to hold the rope. The roper just drags the calf acrooss the back end of the truck and the old fellow process it. Same idea .

Big Muddy Rancher: "Soapweed I was talking to a friend tonight and was telling him about your branding rig. He was telling me about an old fellow out by Maple Creek SK. that has a tree fork made out of iron and hooks to the trailer hitch reciever on his truck with a cleat some thing like the one I was telling you about to hold the rope. The roper just drags the calf acrooss the back end of the truck and the old fellow process it. Same idea."

I'll be darned. He's a smart feller. :wink:

We did take videos at our last branding. They turned out pretty good. We are planning to have a booth at the Sandhills Cattle Association convention, and have these gizmos ("Calf Traps") on display, as well as running the video of how it works. This will be in Valentine on May 26th. Come on down and join the fun.

Soapweed said:
Big Muddy Rancher: "Soapweed I was talking to a friend tonight and was telling him about your branding rig. He was telling me about an old fellow out by Maple Creek SK. that has a tree fork made out of iron and hooks to the trailer hitch reciever on his truck with a cleat some thing like the one I was telling you about to hold the rope. The roper just drags the calf acrooss the back end of the truck and the old fellow process it. Same idea."

I'll be darned. He's a smart feller. :wink:

We did take videos at our last branding. They turned out pretty good. We are planning to have a booth at the Sandhills Cattle Association convention, and have these gizmos ("Calf Traps") on display, as well as running the video of how it works. This will be in Valentine on May 26th. Come on down and join the fun.

soapweed would love to come down but have our stockgrowers convention a few days later. I was thinking you could build yours so that it would hook to a truck hitch and just back the truck up thru the panels and have the bed for your supplies and save digging a hole and setting the post.

Latest posts