• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Soapweed.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
22,118
Reaction score
201
Location
Big Muddy valley
Soapweed I looked at your profile and saw that country music is one of your interests. You would have enjoyed our SSGA zone meeting in Wood Mountain Sask. last night. We had our meeting in the afternoon a happy hour and fine supper the the entertainment. A 10 yr old and a friend our age played Guitars did a little poetry and sang. The young fellow had some real good licks on the guitar and sang everthing from Hard Days Night to a medely of Johnny Cash. A real ham but nice kid, good kid. the other fellow playing with him does a bit of original as well as old timey such as Tying knot in the devils tail.
Wood mountian is a bit out of the way but once you get their no problem finding the meeting as it's the only place with any trucks parked. :cboy: :cowboy:
 

HAY MAKER

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
8,789
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
Big Muddy rancher said:
Soapweed I looked at your profile and saw that country music is one of your interests. You would have enjoyed our SSGA zone meeting in Wood Mountain Sask. last night. We had our meeting in the afternoon a happy hour and fine supper the the entertainment. A 10 yr old and a friend our age played Guitars did a little poetry and sang. The young fellow had some real good licks on the guitar and sang everthing from Hard Days Night to a medely of Johnny Cash. A real ham but nice kid, good kid. the other fellow playing with him does a bit of original as well as old timey such as Tying knot in the devils tail.
Wood mountian is a bit out of the way but once you get their no problem finding the meeting as it's the only place with any trucks parked. :cboy: :cowboy:

say BMR I been looking at your profile and I think you ought to put Eastern Canada for your location,your always trying to move the Big Muddy West
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
22,118
Reaction score
201
Location
Big Muddy valley
HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Soapweed I looked at your profile and saw that country music is one of your interests. You would have enjoyed our SSGA zone meeting in Wood Mountain Sask. last night. We had our meeting in the afternoon a happy hour and fine supper the the entertainment. A 10 yr old and a friend our age played Guitars did a little poetry and sang. The young fellow had some real good licks on the guitar and sang everthing from Hard Days Night to a medely of Johnny Cash. A real ham but nice kid, good kid. the other fellow playing with him does a bit of original as well as old timey such as Tying knot in the devils tail.
Wood mountian is a bit out of the way but once you get their no problem finding the meeting as it's the only place with any trucks parked. :cboy: :cowboy:

say BMR I been looking at your profile and I think you ought to put Eastern Canada for your location,your always trying to move the Big Muddy West


Haymaker since Ontario is called central Canada and Manitoba is the "OLD COUNTRY" we are west. If you doubt that you should have been in Wood Mountain last night. BC is like Calafornia as it doesn't count as being out west it just happens to be there. And if you think I am east take a look as you live EAST of me. :cowboy:
 

Soapweed

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
16,257
Reaction score
41
Location
northern Nebraska Sandhills
Big Muddy, it "sounds" like you were graced with some good country music at Wood Mountain, yesterday. We also heard some mighty fine western music in Valentine last evening after the fourth annual Heart City Bull Bash. About 60 pens of bulls were lined up on Main Street, with equipment displays, and other items of rancher-type interest. Beautiful weather, about 55 degrees and no breeze. A big crowd was on hand and it took about three hours for my wife and I to visit our way up the street and get back down again to where we parked the vehicle. It was a fun afternoon, and in the evening the Bar J Wranglers out of Jackson Hole, Wyoming, performed cowboy music for about 450 spectators at the school theatre. Tickets had to be bought in advance, and they were sold out as of a week ago. It was a very fun and enjoyable day.

Speaking of Wood Mountain, my grandmother's sister and her husband homesteaded near there back in the 1920's. They were Gurley and Gladys Oakes, and when they later sold the farm they moved to Rockglen. Three of their children still live in Rockglen. They are Dick Oakes, Grace Justus, and Dorothy Bloom. They are a musical family, and Dick is quite a piano player.
 

HAY MAKER

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
8,789
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
Big Muddy rancher said:
HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Soapweed I looked at your profile and saw that country music is one of your interests. You would have enjoyed our SSGA zone meeting in Wood Mountain Sask. last night. We had our meeting in the afternoon a happy hour and fine supper the the entertainment. A 10 yr old and a friend our age played Guitars did a little poetry and sang. The young fellow had some real good licks on the guitar and sang everthing from Hard Days Night to a medely of Johnny Cash. A real ham but nice kid, good kid. the other fellow playing with him does a bit of original as well as old timey such as Tying knot in the devils tail.
Wood mountian is a bit out of the way but once you get their no problem finding the meeting as it's the only place with any trucks parked. :cboy: :cowboy:

say BMR I been looking at your profile and I think you ought to put Eastern Canada for your location,your always trying to move the Big Muddy West


Haymaker since Ontario is called central Canada and Manitoba is the "OLD COUNTRY" we are west. If you doubt that you should have been in Wood Mountain last night. BC is like Calafornia as it doesn't count as being out west it just happens to be there. And if you think I am east take a look as you live EAST of me. :cowboy:



Yes I do south east lots of good people in the deep south..........good luck
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
22,118
Reaction score
201
Location
Big Muddy valley
Soapweed we drove thru Rockglen going and coming home last night. I am not sure if i have met any of your relations unless Dorthy was married to Ralph Bloom and then it was a long time ago as i was running out of gas hauling cattle and they lived at a place with pumps out front but didn't sell gas any more. Rockglen is a real musical place with many fiddlers jams and such going on. I may have run into some of your family connection at the Wood Mountian Poetry Gatherin'. There were some Blooms back from Oregon I think that stay in Rockglen for the summer. If your ever up to see them let me know as we are right on your way . It would be fun to give you a tour of our place and compare notes in person. :cboy:
 

PPRM

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,951
Reaction score
0
Location
NE Oregon
Haymaker,

Thought of you when I was watching "King of the Hill" tonight. Hsnk was going over vacation travel plans and got real excited when he discovered he wouldn't be traveling thru Oklahoma. I thought I'd fall out of my chair laughing,


PPRM
 

Soapweed

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
16,257
Reaction score
41
Location
northern Nebraska Sandhills
Big Muddy, Ralph Bloom is the husband of my dad's cousin, Dorothy.

It would be fun to look you up the next time we get up into that country, but that doesn't happen too often. The last time I was there was almost six years ago, and the time before that was in 1961, so don't hold your breath. :) I really like the geography around Wood Mountain, and can see why my relatives chose to homestead in that area. Gurley Oakes and his brother drove a team and wagon up there from Nebraska, so it undoubtedly took them at least a couple months. Gurley's wife (my grandmother's sister) rode up on the train, but I think it was a roundabout route that even took quite awhile by that modern way of traveling. Aren't we a spoiled bunch today, compared to living the life of hardships that our ancestors did?

When our family visited Canada in 1961, my dad bought a couple horses from Ralph and Dorothy Bloom. They and their son, Darrell, who was a couple years older than me, delivered the horses to Nebraska a couple weeks later. At the time, the "fad" in this country for trimming up a horse, was roached mane and a long foretop. These Canadian horses arrived with long mane and roached foretops. Different strokes for different folks.

The spring of 1962, a wild young cowboy took a ranch job with my dad. This dapper cowboy, "Jim", was enthralled with one of the Canadian horses, a sorrel gelding named "Red". Dad traded him the horse for wages, and every Saturday night, Jim rode the horse the eight miles into town. The song "Wolverton Mountain" by Claude King was popular at the time. A several-week summer tradition was for Jim and his girlfriend to ride ol' Red double down mainstreet of Merriman, singing "Wolverton Mountain" at the stroke of midnight. Jim was a teetotaler when he came to work right before calving, but got to liking the taste of beer at all the brandings. By summertime, he was nearly a full-fledged alcoholic, and he had beer stashed in every water tank between our ranch and town.

Jim left Dad's employment before the summer was over, and worked on quite a few different cow outfits through the years. On one of his moves, he was carrying a suitcase down a flight of stairs in a bunkhouse, and dropped the suitcase. When it hit the stairway, a loaded pistol inside went off, and the speeding bullet put out Jim's eye. He wore a glass eye for awhile, and before he'd get in the wild horse race at the local rodeo, he'd take out his eye and give it to his girlfriend for safekeeping. Evidently that was too much of a hassle, because he discontinued the glass eye and has ever since worn a patch.

Sorry my rambling got so long, but that is the way it was. :)
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
22,118
Reaction score
201
Location
Big Muddy valley
Great story Soapweed. I enjoy the "Ramblin" I think Darrell fixed up some of of our yardlights a few years ago but I wasn't home at the time. My Dad new Ralph fairly well as they both hauled cattle around the country. It sure is a small world. Sitting bull after the Little big Horn came to Canada roaming from the Cypress hills to Wood mountain and when went back to the states went thru our yard as it sits on the Wood Mountain- Willow Bunch -Big Muddy trail. the son of the scout that led the group back worked for us when I was a kid. Lots of interesting history in this old west. You should come up this summer as it is the 100th year celebration of Sask. becoming a province. I know Wood Mountain is having a 3 day celebration. Come and do some poetry.
 

TXTibbs

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 9, 2005
Messages
1,591
Reaction score
0
Location
South Central Texas, former South Dakotan
reader (the Second) said:
I think of Austin everytime I see King of the Hill. So funny and so Central Texas.

Isn't it based somewhere outside of Austin? Or i mean doesn't the show suppose to be near Austin....hell damn i can't think of the town they live in right now. Anyway...blah.
 

nr

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,153
Reaction score
0
Location
DE
Soapweed said:
Jim left Dad's employment before the summer was over, and worked on quite a few different cow outfits through the years. On one of his moves, he was carrying a suitcase down a flight of stairs in a bunkhouse, and dropped the suitcase. When it hit the stairway, a loaded pistol inside went off, and the speeding bullet put out Jim's eye. He wore a glass eye for awhile, and before he'd get in the wild horse race at the local rodeo, he'd take out his eye and give it to his girlfriend for safekeeping. Evidently that was too much of a hassle, because he discontinued the glass eye and has ever since worn a patch.

:)

I've heard of unloading ones wallet/glasses/ring but never a glass eye! lol.
 

Latest posts

Top