• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Soapweed

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shelly

Reaction score
I hate to be a pain in the butt, but is it possible for you to make your pictures smaller? It takes forever to download them on dial-up, sometimes I even get disconnected because my computer thinks it's tired. I'm missing out on a pile of pictures!

Sorry, Shelly. Here is an experiment. These pictures are done at 25% instead of my usual 50% on Kodak Easy Share. Hope they work for you.

PeachandBradygettingincalvingcows.jpg

Peach and Brady getting in calving cows last night before the storm
Saltbunkmakesagoodmakeshiftcalfsled.jpg

Salt bunk makes a good makeshift calf sled
Hecantevengetout-1.jpg

The calf can't even get out.
Andaroundthecornerhegoes.jpg

And around the corner he goes
Thislittle6000cowisprettyefficie-1.jpg

This little #6000 cow is pretty efficient. She is three years old and has already had three calves. None have been twins. She got bred while still sucking her mother, had her first calf when she was only 14 months old, and has had a calf each year since.

We don't use dial-up anymore but I like the smaller pic's they are easier to view. Just my two cents.

I love the use of the salt bucket!!!! :D

Thanks Soapweed, I'm not sure the 137 pounder we had yesterday would have fit in that tub :?

Pictures are one part I really like about this site, but it's almost impossible for my webtv to load up pics.

I'm on the laptop now. It eventually gets the job done but the 46.6 dialup is slow. :roll:

Big Swede said:
What kind of bulls are you using that will give you 137# calves nd? Yikes!!

Most likely a well touted calveing ease sire.

purebred black angus. They aren't all that way, this one came out the side. With all these blizzards we've been having lately, I wouldn't want to have born either.

Some guys don't seem to mind some birthweight in their cattle. Personally I think ranching has enough problems without bringing calves into this world through the sides of their mothers.

137 hmmm I wont grip about a 60-80 pound calf again......nope
Glad I have to pick up jersey calves. And moms dont want to kill you after LOL
Liking jerseys more and more

forgot to add I wonder if I can pull that sled with the kubota? Tip it over slide them in tip it back up and away we go ................

Great pics soap keep em coming. :)

That cow to the left of the #6000 cow, looks identical to one of ours (except her tag's the wrong color). I call her Nubby. And she's had about the same experience calvin as your #6000 cow. Tho she's 4 years old and on her 4th calf. :D

I miss seeing almost all the pics posted on here,our dial-up is HORRIBLE. I used to be able to download pics but now its extremely painful. Sadly the resizing doesn't seem to have made much of a difference. Our gas co-op is installing high speed so we may jump into this century soon.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
That cow to the left of the #6000 cow, looks identical to one of ours (except her tag's the wrong color). I call her Nubby. And she's had about the same experience calvin as your #6000 cow. Tho she's 4 years old and on her 4th calf. :D

The cow to the left of the #6000 cow has the longest horns of any cow on our ranch. She must have a little Gelvieh back in her bloodlines, because she occasionally has a red calf.

Soapweed, your 'supercow' is like one a brother in law had years back, but she was a Hereford! And he was getting into Charolais at the time. He wasn't thrilled with that little cow, tho she produced several calves before he sent her down the road. She calved a few weeks earlier each year after the first one was born a few weeks later than our usual calving season, till she got right on target about the third calf.

We are just getting started calving, but shouldn't be for a couple of weeks yet. Storm must have done it. Had to bring in about everything born in the storm yesterday, but didn't lose any.

We have a 'real' calf sled, and I saw it going by the house behind a good saddle horse with two cows following close enough that their noses must have been on their calves tied securel in the sled. They followed right into the corral with no problem. I do like you improvised sled. I don't remember why we bought the one we have, and it hasn't been used much for hauling calves, but sure worked nice yesterday. I'm thinkiing it will be handy for other little 'hauling' jobs behind the garden tractor , tho.

mrj

Mrs.Greg said:
I miss seeing almost all the pics posted on here,our dial-up is HORRIBLE. I used to be able to download pics but now its extremely painful. Sadly the resizing doesn't seem to have made much of a difference. Our gas co-op is installing high speed so we may jump into this century soon.

With two jobs in the house, quit whining and get a dish. :p :wink: :lol:

Thanks Soapweed, it is a lot easier to read the posts when you don't have to scroll back and forth.

Latest posts