• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

SOAPWEED

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Some day your in town you should put on Sandhuskers car what i gave you in Deadwood. I think he would like it and be so proud he would show all his friends. :wink: :cowboy:

Hey Soapweed, I noticed tht you cut hay with a 4020. I was wondering have you ever had any trouble with your 4020 overheating? With the size of those cutter bars I would think it would be quite a load for that tractor. The reason I ask is because I also cut my hay with a 4020 and a 6 ft. kuhn disc mower and it runs between Normal and Hot. But when I started baling (I have a J Deere 530 baler) the tractor runs right on the edge of hot-- too hot in my opinion. I just had the radiator cleaned about a year ago so that shouldn't be the problem. Do you or anyone else have any suggestions. It seems it starts running hot when the engine is loaded a bit. What do you think?

TSR do you have a manually gauge you can put on it, I have had some gauges tell it was hot but it was only 220 or so. The quickest and easiest is to make sure the gauge is not lying to you. Hope this helps

Yes, I agree with Mudhen. If the tractor is not obviously trying to boil over, make sure the guage is accurate. Beyond that simple things like making sure the radiator and screens are clean externally, T-stat is good and fan/water pump belt is proper tension. A tractor that old could certainly have a lot of lime deposits in the radiator. I only use distilled water in antifreeze mix. Only solution for a radiator plugged up internally would be rodding it out but with age most likely a new core/radiator would be best in the long run. A double 9' sickle mower shouldn't be a real big load for a tractor the size of a 4020.

Edit: After rereading I see the radiator was cleaned internally. Had a neighbor did this on a similar size tractor (White 2-85) but didn't help that much. I think he ended up putting in a new rad core. Sorry to not be more help.

TSR said:
Hey Soapweed, I noticed tht you cut hay with a 4020. I was wondering have you ever had any trouble with your 4020 overheating? With the size of those cutter bars I would think it would be quite a load for that tractor. The reason I ask is because I also cut my hay with a 4020 and a 6 ft. kuhn disc mower and it runs between Normal and Hot. But when I started baling (I have a J Deere 530 baler) the tractor runs right on the edge of hot-- too hot in my opinion. I just had the radiator cleaned about a year ago so that shouldn't be the problem. Do you or anyone else have any suggestions. It seems it starts running hot when the engine is loaded a bit. What do you think?

The quickest and cheapest thing to check first would be your radiator cap.Is it in good shape and the proper pressure rating?
Next I would check the thermostats(2 of them on a 4020). They could be stuck shut or maybe too high of a temperature rating.
If everything else checks out OK, I would then suspect the water pump may need to be rebuilt or replaced.
Hope this helps! :)

There is always dust getting to the radiator. We have to blow ours out with air or water fairly often (maybe weekly in steady going). If the engine is hot at the time, it is best to leave the engine running if you use water to spray it. It is best to clean the radiator after the engine has been shut off, like overnight. Water in high pressure actually works better than air. Our fire fighting sprayers are what we use, but probably a hot water pressure sprayer would be better yet.

It seems like 4020s naturally run fairly warm, and unless we can actually hear the radiator boiling and gurgling, we don't worry too much about it.

Latest posts