• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Solar Fencer Question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
Went to hook up my solar fencer today. Hasn't been used for a year, stored in a well-lit building, no power. does it need a day in direct sunlight to charge properly or could the possibility of being set on a cement floor for a time have ruined the battery?

Ground is good in wet soil.

It is a manufactured fencer so the battery is in a steel case with the solar panel on top.

Did not have a meter with me today.

Big Muddy rancher said:
gcreekrch said:
It is a manufactured fencer so the battery is in a steel case with the solar panel on top.

Did not have a meter with me today.

Do you even have sun up there this time of year? :wink: :lol: :lol:

Saw it for an hour today. :lol:

I ended up putting new batteries in 3 of my fencers this year. You can put a normal battery charger on them, if you build an adapter to plug into the case.

Seems like Iread somewhere that is an old wives tale.

I still put mine on a piece of wood anyway.

Old people are slow to change, you know.

Hard to tell from here, sorry, especially if it a maintenance free battery .

I do know that hubby left our brand new 12 volt RV batteries on cement all winter and they were both fried in the spring when I went to hook them up . So I guess anything is possible .

I would leave it out for a day to see if it builds a charge, if it does you will need to check it. My experience is that they sometimes build a charge and work well during daylight hours, but the battery only lasts for a few hours after the sun goes down.

Solved the problem by moving 160 bales to a better stackyard, one of those "I knew better moments last summer". :roll: Logs next year.

Fencer never did take a charge so will replace the battery.

Sometime cows are exactly how John Wayne described them in the "Cowboys". Nothing but a lot of trouble tied up in a leather bag. :lol:

"Sometime cows are exactly how John Wayne described them in the "Cowboys". Nothing but a lot of trouble tied up in a leather bag."

...Horse ain't much different...

You trying to power a fence using the sun in November makes as much sense as me installing a water wheel to electrify something! :???: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts