• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Solar pumps and Ice

Help Support Ranchers.net:

GM88

Reaction score
I dont have a wet well on one of the dugouts I plan to water out of. A friend of mine told me he has pulled a plastic pipe through a culvert Insulated the pipe in the culvert and put it through the ice. I have no power close so it has to be solar powered will that work, any other ideas would be appreciated.

We water cows on stalks with a submersible and a generator. We just pull the check valve on the pump so it drains back and wont freeze. Only down side is you have to be there every day to put more gas in and start it. We are watered 250 cows in one place with about 2 gallons of gas a day if there is no snow.

Have a neighbour north of us who runs Kelln pumps without the check valve (they drain back).
He just cuts a hole and drops the pump in. It drains back and he swears he has never had a problem.
If you look at the websites like Sundog Solar, Kelln, etc. They have the hose up high by the trough so the water drains back both ways in their winter water pics that aren't on a wet well (FWIW).
DSCN1627.jpg

RSL said:
Have a neighbour north of us who runs Kelln pumps without the check valve (they drain back).
He just cuts a hole and drops the pump in. It drains back and he swears he has never had a problem.
If you look at the websites like Sundog Solar, Kelln, etc. They have the hose up high by the trough so the water drains back both ways in their winter water pics that aren't on a wet well (FWIW).
DSCN1627.jpg

I have a kelln setup it works well.I put the hose high by the trough ,but i also drilled a small hole in the line a couple feet above the pump so it drains faster.Good luck

I'd sure be interested in a trough like is shown in the above picture. I don't see one on Kelln's website though. Is that made by someone else? Looks like it would be handy for watering out of dugouts in a summer pasture setting too.

Silver said:
I'd sure be interested in a trough like is shown in the above picture. I don't see one on Kelln's website though. Is that made by someone else? Looks like it would be handy for watering out of dugouts in a summer pasture setting too.
Kelln makes one but try a google of Sundog Solar

RSL said:
Silver said:
Kelln makes one but try a google of Sundog Solar

Thanks! I just had a good talk with Marvin at Sundog Solar and I think I'm gonna try his "Sundog Classic" come spring. I sure like the idea of a portable water system that will keep cattle out of the creeks and dugouts.

Latest posts