• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

solar pumps

Help Support Ranchers.net:

We have built several. Depends on what you want to do. If you don't have much lift, just use a bilge pump for a boat (we use Atwood pumps if we can get them). They cost about $50 and will pump 1500+ GPH.
Float switch, you need a pump up (opposite of a sump pump). We get ours at Princess Auto.
Panels we have bought from Ebay, Canadian Tire and reputable solar dealers depending on size and $. Charge controllers, try Canadian Tire (amperage on the controller needs to be bigger than the panel).
Panel mounts we build our selves from angle iron.
Also you need an inline fuse from your automotive store between the battery and the pump. We use Marine style deep cycle batteries from wherever they are the cheapest per amp/hour.
Set up is
Panel > Charge Controller > Battery > Switch > Fuse > Pump

If you need more lift look at the Lorentz pumps (like a PS150 with control panel). We have also used the 12 or 24 volt sprayer pumps for higher lift/lower volume applications.

Lorentz might be the greatest pumps ever and I may have the worst luck known to man but I killed 2 of them in 5 years use and very light use at that.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332019_200332019

This doesn't look like to bad of a place to start

Thanks for all the input . I have been busy trying to put up some wet hay, just wont dry. Raked some this morn still wont go tonight. Going to look into your system RSL will contact you later in the summer if that's OK. Do you use any of these in the winter, I am going to put a wet well off my dugout where I winter my hfr calves. I have been wintering them through the ice but towards spring they quit drinking and don't do as well. Usually just keep about 150 hfrs so don't need a big system for the winter. There's no power close, in the past I have used a gas pump and a coal heater in the trough. Thanks

i would look into Robinsons pumps in Canton Oklahoma we put in a couple last year and they did everything the salesman said that they would do

busterbear said:
www.solarpumps.com is their web address

Did I see that right. There is no batterie. So the pump only runs when there is enough solar rays to make it go? Overall that looks like a good alterative to messing with a windmill. Our wells are very deep though I don't know how they would keep up without some backup power. I like the idea of the switch to shut it off when the tank is full.

3m you talk out of both sides of your mouth. If it is pumping water when the sun is shinning what would you shut it off for. And then put batteries on it so it can be run after dark. Is this right.

Pertnear said:
If it is pumping water when the sun is shinning what would you shut it off for.

the tank is full!

Pertnear said:
And then put batteries on it so it can be run after dark. Is this right.

Battery would be nice if cattle came to drink after dark

Pertnear said:
So the cow can only drink from the tank?
I don't like wasting water. And I don't like having a mud hole around the tank either. Hence the reason for shutting off when full. If I did like either one wouldn't you just leave the windmill. Like the previous said cows come to drink at dusk then the tank is empty.

The portable units I have used had Grundfos pumps, 8 panels ( don't remember the exact wattage) and pump into a minimum of a 20ft bottomless tank mostly 30ft though. They did not have any battery storage but could be easily ran with a 110 volt generator when it is cloudy. These particular setups will pump somewhere in the area of a consitent 35gal/min and easily accomodates large groups of livestock. The deepest well probably pumped water 80 to 90 ft.

the pumps we installed were the2 aluminum pumps with 2 panels . the wells they were put on each had an 80 ft. pull on them . they both easily took care of 40 plus pairs each and neither group ever ran out of water, and this was all while we were enduring over 75 days of 100 plus degree weather....

If you are looking for a plug and play solution with a bit more oomph, look at solarwest.ca pumping kits. They are good if you already have troughs, or handyman skills.

We use our gas one until there is enough snow. Then we quit.
We are planning to put in a winter water system if we get as far as digging the dugout we have planned.
A northern neighbour has a kelln that drains back and he uses it year round. The solar west guys have a dugout tube that looks kind of interesting as well.
My brother runs a year round pump on his place from sundog solar that is also good.

Latest posts