• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sold heifers today

Help Support Ranchers.net:

redcattle56

Reaction score
Just sold our coming two year old heifers on Superior today. First time we have used the video on bred stock.

Ended up bringing 1310 for a 1000 # heifer.

What a day.

We grossed 980 plus dollars today on our open heifers weighing 950. Yearling steers weighing over 1000 were bringing over a dollar/lb at the local auction.

1300 is a good sale especially if the delivery is now. The delivery would be the kicker.

That brings to mind another question. How much should a bred heifer bring if one had the grass and hay to run her? Considering calf prices, I don't think 1300 is out of line, however I don't see calf prices staying at this level forever. I think an older cow (not old though) would be more to my liking at 1000 or so. But I would judge quality foremost above price if it was a younger cow.

Considering we have less than half a haycrop, and are going to be short on leaving extra grass, 1300 would be too much risk right now for us.

However, I would NOT sell our home raised heifers for 1300 dollars at the moment. Too hard to replace. :D

Contradiction, I think not. :wink:

Red Angus heifers for Nov 1 delivery.
Sync AI to Beckton, Pieper bulls cleaned up with Gran Red Angus Bulls.
My be the best set of commercial heifers we have ever raised. Each one home grown.

redcattle56 said:
Red Angus heifers for Nov 1 delivery.
Sync AI to Beckton, Pieper bulls cleaned up with Gran Red Angus Bulls.
My be the best set of commercial heifers we have ever raised. Each one home grown.

how many for sale?????

Congratulations on a very good sale, redcattle 56. I know your cattle are of super high quality, and the bulls I got from you in past years did our red cattle a lot of good. A bill in the hand is worth two blowing around in the bushies. :wink: :)

Just to be clear, I think redcattle56 should be very happy with their sale. I was not trying to be a cynic. :)

I would be pleased to get 1310 for heifers anytime if we had some extra to sell. I remember selling some a few years ago for 700 dollars just ready to calve. :(

And now we know they are good cattle if Soapweed uses your genetics. :D

Congrats Red Cattle...............you made more money on these "Hussies" than the man that bought them will.
When he figures in the dead calves, and the no-breed backs he will have over 1500@ in the ones that bring in a second calf. I have always thought the selling of a bred heifer was a helluva lot better deal that buyin them. I know you get lucky once in a awhile, but the odds are against you in having 90 % of them drop a second calf!

Thats the beauty of these Red Angus Heifers. They milk raise a good calf but breed back. We lose more to ulcers than calving problems. But since we started vaccinating with a 7 way at birth we have almost eliminated the ulcer problem.

Overall we have a 95-97% breed back on the heifers and the cows.

We had 56 listed but it he may take 60. That would leave us with the 40 registered heifers.
Looks like we are out for this year.
Come look at the bulls and raise your own. Always happy to show the cows, calves and bulls.

redcattle56, I would assume that you are related to the Editor of the Tri-State Livestock News. I appreciate the fact that if he has a bias, it does not come out in the paper. Both sides seem to get acknowledged equally.

That is sure different than some papers.

I seen those heifers sell yeasterday the were an awesome set and you got paid for them.

Red Robin said:
Anyone got any pictures of them?

go to Superior livestock then look up in zone 2 red angus bred stock they are the only set that came up

Latest posts