• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sold our calves yesterday

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shelly

Reaction score
And we were very pleased with the results! Price-wise and weight-wise.
Heifers averaged 692 lbs. @ $1.08 for an average price of $747.36
Steers averaged 694 lbs. @ $1.16 for an average price of $805.04
The auction mart owner was as good as his word with his guaranteed prices, so it looks like he'll be getting all of our calves from now on. I have to brag up a few calves, though. Our heaviest calf was 975 lbs. and he was just shy of 9 months old. The youngest calf was just over 5 months old and she weighed 610 lbs. And the 17 year old cow weaned off 1145 lbs. of twin calves. I am just tickled pink! All that money, I feel a shopping spree coming on! :D

Congratulations on a great calf sale, Shelly. Your 17-year-old cow did a tremendous job weaning 1145 pounds of twin calves. She was worth her weight in "old".

Have fun shopping.

Wowie, Zowie :!: :!: :!: You did great, and what great weights, I'm impressed and happy for you :)

Yea, Shelly, it's "shop til ya drop time"! :shock:

Have you ever figured the per day gain on your calves? I think you'd find it interesting. I know I do. I did it on a couple of your calves just for fun, based on what you loosely posted.

The big calf, 975#. Give him an 80# birthweight and say he is 9 months old, that is 270 days. He gained 3.3 lbs. day.

The other calf, 610#, give it an 80# birthweight (this is just a guesstimate you understand~only you will know if it is even close) and if it is 5 months old, that is 150 days. That calf gained an average of 3.5#/day.

Both great gains I would say. I use this method (I know the exact age of the calf) to check the production of our cows. Anything that isn't up to par on gain per head per day, regardless of the final weight of the calf, the mother goes down the road.

Anyway, it is a fun and interesting thing for me to do. Probably bore the h**l out of most folks.

Congrats Shelley.
I'm taking a couple dozen or so calves in next week, just to pay some fall bills. The rest I will either feed up to 8 or 900 lbs or finish.
I'll let you know how they weigh up and pay-up!! :D

Very glad for you Looks like those cold calveing dates paid off hope you have fun shopping. :clap:

Faster horses said:
Yea, Shelly, it's "shop til ya drop time"! :shock:

Have you ever figured the per day gain on your calves? I think you'd find it interesting. I know I do. I did it on a couple of your calves just for fun, based on what you loosely posted.

The big calf, 975#. Give him an 80# birthweight and say he is 9 months old, that is 270 days. He gained 3.3 lbs. day.

The other calf, 610#, give it an 80# birthweight (this is just a guesstimate you understand~only you will know if it is even close) and if it is 5 months old, that is 150 days. That calf gained an average of 3.5#/day.

Both great gains I would say. I use this method (I know the exact age of the calf) to check the production of our cows. Anything that isn't up to par on gain per head per day, regardless of the final weight of the calf, the mother goes down the road.

Anyway, it is a fun and interesting thing for me to do. Probably bore the h**l out of most folks.

By the looks of your calves you had posted your methods work very well.

Good for you Shelly, it makes my day to see the Rancher getting paid fair for his/her work.....................good luck :wink:

Thanks to you all for your words of praise. I look forward to selling our calves all year long, and when things turn out well, I always feel rewarded for all the time and work we put into them. Our cows are every variety of heinz 57, but I wouldn't trade them for anything! Most of them pull their weight around here by weaning off the best possible calves. Some will be sold this fall because of their poor performances. We just held onto them before this because we didn't want to sell them at give-away prices because of the BSE problem.

And as for the shopping spree, it won't happen. I hate shopping! I only buy out of necessity. I just wish once, I could forget my frugal ways, and just go crazy spending and buying with no thought of how this or that is a waste of money! Damn my parents for bringing me up to spend my money wisely!

Congrats' Shelly :!: I am glad we are all receiving good prices for once.

We know our price per lb. on our steers, but will see what they weigh tomorrow when they deliver over our ranch scale.

Shelly and Nicky,
are you sure you were not raised by my grandmother? She would take Saran wrap, wash it, wipe it dry, fold it up and save it for another day. I think she bought one roll of aluminum foil in her life and we still have half of it. As for gramps, she had him spending slack hours straightening out used nails so they could be used again. She would let him buy a new tool that he needed but then hide it in the house so no one would use it. You would not believe the brand new stuff that came out of that house when she went to the home. :oops:

My kid just had a fit at me the other day, I'd asked him to empty the dishwasher. He did. But in the process found the plastic spoon I'd stuck in there that I'd gotten in town when I got a pint of ice cream. I washed it thinking it would be handy to keep in the glove box of my truck, because they don't always have plastic spoons at the lil mom n pop store where I stop. He proceeded to inform me that I was gettin like grandma. I said, "Well at least ya didnt find it in the silverware drawer"
He said, "Yet"

I hate shoppin as well. got my list....go in and git what I need and git out as fast as I can and go home.

Latest posts