• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sold some steers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Swede

Reaction score
We sold 2 loads of steers yesterday in Valentine. The sale was hot and the market was great. One load of the steers weighed 659# and brought $1.7525 and the smaller load weighed 597# at $1.8375. I hope the buyer still has room to make some money too. I've got another load of steers to go but I was thinking of keeping them till about March.

Corn was down the limit yesterday as well, I'm sure that didn't hurt the feeder market any.

Good deal. Wish we had sales around here where you could take preconditioned calves and get what they are worth.

Bullhauler said:
I sold corn last week and I am selling my steers next week. Hopefully I hit both markets right for once.

That's hard to do! Hope it works out that way for you.

Nice going Big Swede. We need this in this industry. Don't know if you saw my thread where I told of my neighbor's haul on a load of fats. $1800/hd, 1500 lbs.

Good for you Big Swede.

Per and Big Muddy's calculaters are going to be getting warm when they read this.

Another friend of mine is sitting on 900 calves.

IMO, the only factor that will hurt this ride in the short term is a crash in the US economy.

That is a great sale, Big Swede. Not only did your calves sell very well, but they hit the scales hard for being born so late in the spring, after the weather warmed up. :wink: Your pappy should be proud. :)

Yes burnt, I read about your friends sale on his fats, outstanding! I'm happy the guys on the other end are making some money too, they are the real risk takers.

Bullhauler, good for you on your marketing wisdom. I was going to sell some corn Thursday thinking it was going to be a bullish report. Boy was I wrong. Oh well, I'm thinking it will rally back.

Soapweed, I was happy to have my Dad sitting right beside me yesterday. Making him proud is one of my main goals in life. Just the fact that he has given me the chance to own and operate this place is something I will always be grateful for and his example of being able to "let go" will not be forgotten. Didn't mean to get sappy but talking about him got me to thinking about how much he means to me.

You are very fortunate to have had your Dad there-mine died the day I got the first calf crop hauled from the Lands Branch pasThat ture. It was one of the crappiest days I've ever had even if Dad hadn't passed. The day ended up being a major blizzard with about 18 inches of heavy wet snow-I was running the scale as a copper utilization study was concluded about 45 miles from home I think we scaled close to 400 long yearling heifers at Twin H that day. There were vets there from U'S and Canada-I think we took a liver biopsy on every tenth heifer in the chute. So cherish every moment you can have with family, every healthy pain free day you live-it can be gone so fast. On a less maudlin note that is a god weight and price on your steers-imagine how good they'd look coming off grass in the fall or if they get fed how they'd finish. This late calving experiment hasn't been all bad has it.

I used to feed my steers all the way to finish back when I calved in March. I would push them hard from weaning on and they would hit the May market but I don't miss those days. I'm glad there are still people willing to do it but I don't ever see doing that again. It was a lot of work and expense with sometimes not so much gain or even a loss.

Bigger calves brought a little more per head but not nearly enough to go back to winter calving.

Congrats on a great sale! Nice to see folks getting rewarded for their work.

And an added side benefit to the good prices is that I don't have to listen folks screaming to close the border. :shock: :D

I haven't fed in a few years because quite frankly I can't get it to pencil. What part of south Dakota do you ranch in-I have spent a fair amount of time in the Black Hills. Met a real character in Belle Fouche-an old saddle maker named Jim White. I still have a tie down somewhere with his stamp on it. Paul Schultes ans Lynn Weishar were never dull either lol.

We ranch just north of the Sandhills in southwestern SD. We have the benefit of the water that the Sandhills offer yet we have heavier soil so the grass has more punch. Living over the northern edge of the Ogallala aquifer lets us irrigate the land that lays right and isn't too hilly. If you are ever in the area let me know, I would love to meet you.

I checked it out last night and it is exactly 1000 miles from Martin to meadow lake. If you left at daylight from either place and went to the whip you could be there for supper. I would probably jam out and bunk one night at plentywood-it is about halfway and Linda is a good cook lol. If you came up here you could tour lots of may and June calving herds.

Northern Rancher said:
I checked it out last night and it is exactly 1000 miles from Martin to meadow lake. If you left at daylight from either place and went to the whip you could be there for supper. I would probably jam out and bunk one night at plentywood-it is about halfway and Linda is a good cook lol. If you came up here you could tour lots of may and June calving herds.

Man you must crack the eggs early and crack the whip hard to make it in time for supper! :shock: :lol:

burnt said:
Northern Rancher said:

Man you must crack the eggs early and crack the whip hard to make it in time for supper! :shock: :lol:

1000 miles / 100 MPH = 10 hours. Say 11 in case you have leisure time at the border... You wouldn't have to leave until 7am. :shock:

We went to Denver last week my wife was driveing and there were times she was above 90 mph.Delivering trailers my magic number is 88 mph I set the cruise and drive.

Daylight is at 3'00 A'M up here in the late spring it actually doesn't get completely dark. I can't sleep anyways so get an early start to hit the crossing as it opens-then I hammer on it stateside. Denver to home is 22 hours if you go straight through. Don't do those kind of trips as much anymore-I'm more of meander and snoop kind of guy now.

Latest posts