• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Some dreams die

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
We spent a chilly day on the desert looking for the last three pair that my cousin is out. Covered lots of country on the wheelers but didn't find the cows. Did see a wonderful old abandoned ranch and took a few pictures. Would of been a neat place to see when folks still called it home. Had my family with me and we sure had fun
CEBD67E9-F19B-4B2C-91FF-E59B726180BF.jpeg

The old Clyde place was a viable ranch around the turn of the century before this last one. 4A8977D5-57D7-4EEC-AC28-D25FB9DC7A7F.jpeg
But it's passed hands and is just a relic of its old glory. The people who own it now just graze it in the fall. Things are falling apart
46DD7E36-339C-4DFB-9D27-09838D04633F.jpeg

The old corrals could tell a few stories if they could talk. Still a beautiful view of the desert

BCA76148-D3FD-46C1-8CA2-7F1E07187AD6.jpeg

The old spring house where they kept their milk and groceries cool is just a memory now
A9035E0C-82B3-4B1B-88D0-0E119254936E.jpeg

We couldn't help but feel a little sad at the silence. So much work and sweat and blood invested. And no one to continue the dream. If I was made of money I'd hand the folks who own it a blank check. It would be fun to restore the old place and make new dreams grow. I stood for a minute alone and listened hard. I could almost hear the horses in the old stable and the family gathering for supper. I musta got some dirt in my eyes as I walked back to the wheeler and my fine wife and kids. But I blinked away a tear and we headed back to the truck. It was a good day. But sure makes ya think

This old root cellar is less than a 100 feet from our house. I am pretty certain it was built before the irrigation ditch in front of it was dug. The ditch was dug 1900-1910 +/-?. The stories it could tell. The original portions of this house were built about that same time. What and who was here back then? There was a gold rush in this area that started 1863. Between then and 1920 when most all the mines shut down they took a lot of gold out of the area. The irrigation rights here date back to 1873. The gold mining stops at the upstream property line of this place. Is that because they were doing better raising food for the miners?

Attachments

• PB222262.JPG
    PB222262.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 48
One of these days I am going to remember to ask the neighbor the story behind this old place. It was a pretty nice place in its day. There is the remains of a power line leading here. It is in no better shape than this house. There is an threshing machine about 100 yards up the hill from this house. Kind of surprised me as there sure isn't much ground flat enough to farm. There is a lot of old historic things around here. The Oregon Trail went through about 4 miles from my house, all the old gold rush things, and of course the homesteads.
P8012089.JPG

Whenever I see old abandoned farm buildings I always wonder what took place there, and what happened that they ended up abandoned. They always leave me feeling a bit sad.

Latest posts