• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Some info on copper you might find interesting

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
COPPER DEFICIENCY

Reports of copper deficiency appear to be increasing dramatically in the U.S and Canada. Because of the high probability of copper problems, we are focusing this paper on copper but zinc, selenium and other trace elements deserve equal attention.

Symptoms of extreme copper deficiency are easy to recognize but marginal copper deficiency is less easily recognized. Adults may be unaffected unless the deficiency is severe and long. Young animals are more severely affected. Symptoms of copper deficiency include:

CHANGES IN HAIR COAT COLOR

Loss of hair coat is very sensitive to lack of copper, especially if caused by high sulfur or molybdenum interactions.
Depigmentation usually shows up first around the eyes and ears, especially the peripheral hairs of the ears, but can affect all hair.
Graying hair is typical but.....
In Herefords red turns to orange or yellowish - dun color
In Angus black turns to reddish - brown, mouse color
Coat appears dry and often lacks luster.
Cattle are slow to shed winter coats.
However, copper problems have been observed when hair and body condition appeared normal.
Hair becomes kinky.

FERTILITY PROBLEMS

Delayed or suppressed estrus.
Embryo death between 30 and 50 days of age ( gives appearance of irregular cycles).
Nitrogen fertilization of pastures, particularly above 75 lb/acre, is documented in the U.S. and Europe to result in infertility due to copper responsive causes.
Reduced birth weights.

SCOURING OR DIARRHEA IS COMMON

Not always present.
Not prolonged of profuse.
With presence of molybdenum
Scouring becomes profuse
Has high gas content
Has foul characteristic order

LONG BONE FRACTURES

For no apparent reason typically in young rapidly growing animals can be up to 5 - 10 % of the herd

ENLARGEMENT OF THE MEDIAL AND LATERAL ASPECTS...

Of the distal metacarpal and metarsal physeal regions in calves. May show lameness, stiff stilted gate, upright pasterns, reluctant to move.

CHARACTERISTIC SORENESS OF FEET

Lame gait
Swelling of coronary band
Seems painful an animals will remove weight from one foot to the other giving all four feed needed relief over time.
Corrects rapidly with supplemental copper

CATTLE STAY IN MODERATE TO POOR CONDITION

Even though pasture conditions suggest something better,
Cattle don't ever appear extremely full.

SIMPLE SUDDEN DEATH "FALLING DIESEASE"

Due to rupture of the major arteries die to lack of elastin.
First reported in Australia but now occurring in the U.S. in cattle and sheep.

PERFORATING ABOMASAL ULCERS

If calves have been frequently observed in copper deficient areas but cause and effect has not been proven.
Abdominal discomfort
Colic
Abdominal distension
Death

INCREASED SUSCEPTIBILITY OT DISEASE

Impaired defense mechanisms
Reduced antibody production
Reduced phagocyte function
Reduced B and T lymphocyte function
Reduced killing capacity of circulation leukocytes and pulmonary macrophages

CASE OF ILL THRIFT IN CALVES

Calves often, but not always, look wormy.

POSSIBLE SIGNS OF COPPER DEFICIENCY

Thick hides from collagen deposition
Tongue lolling
Excessive licking of hair coats
Increased incidence of ketosis
COPPER DEFICIENCY HAS BEEN ASSOCIATED WITH....

Chlamydial infections
BVD
Salmonellosis
Parasitic and mycoplasmal infections
Increased respirator and enteric disease in calves was history leading to discovery of copper deficiency in certain herds in the northwest U.S.
Only manifestation with moderate deficiency in some areas has been decreased weaning weights 50 -100 pounds. Unequal response in calves, some normal; some reduced weaning weight resulting in a greater range in weaning weights than typical.
Cases of ill thrift in calves and yearlings on pasture that are unresponsive to anthelmintica should cause immediate suspicion of copper deficiency - copper deficient cattle often, but not always look wormy.

As suggested above, the symptoms of copper deficiency are often subtle and hard to detect.
Many of us, need to be keener in observing our cattle and asking questions about why - Why aren't the cattle full when pasture is plentiful? Why don't some of the cows ever pass body condition of 4 or 5 when many more are 6? Why don't they seed their winter coats completely and quickly? Why is hair color changing from season to season, if we look close enough to detect it?
Primary copper levels are marginal or low normal, but other elements in the diet can interfere with copper availability.
Be sure to look at water for possible sources of excess sulfate.

HOW DO WE DIAGNOSE COPPER DEFICIENCY?

There is no quick fix for solving problems with copper or other mineral deficiencies. A step-by-step analysis of the situation needs to be made.
1. Close observation on a herd basis for any of the problems listed earlier. A few animals may show one symptom and others another but look at all systems collectively for the whole herd when evaluating a herd deficiency.
2. Forage test - must have copper plus molybdenum and sulfur
3. Liver biopsies on live cattle.
4. Consulting with someone with experience in dealing with the problem.

How low is too low I wonder? I have seen many of those symptoms. Lost a couple calves this fall and sent in livers for analysis. They were 25 and 41 ppm, and the lab considered 21 - 100 ppm to be the normal range. Does copper have much interaction with selenium? Those calves had high levels of Se, around 0.8 ppm when 0.5 ppm is the upper limit of the normal range. I'm wondering if the Se tied up enough copper to result in a deficiency.

LCP said:
How low is too low I wonder? I have seen many of those symptoms. Lost a couple calves this fall and sent in livers for analysis. They were 25 and 41 ppm, and the lab considered 21 - 100 ppm to be the normal range. Does copper have much interaction with selenium? Those calves had high levels of Se, around 0.8 ppm when 0.5 ppm is the upper limit of the normal range. I'm wondering if the Se tied up enough copper to result in a deficiency.

I will run that by someone who knows more than me. Have you seen any change in hair color? Red over the withers (ahead of the shoulders) on black cows or around the ears turning white? How about evcessive licking? Cattle that are doing good, will lick their hair. Cattle that are seeking more copper will lick their hair excessively, making those waves you see sometimes. I will post what I find out to answer your questions.

Can you post the source for this information? I would like to share it with several local producers.

I can't even find the article now :oops: , but I'll keep looking....I must have missed posting the source. I do try to do that but it doesn't always happen. I'm glad some of you here are getting some good information from it. We went through a copper wreck
at one time and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Faster horses said:
LCP said:

I will run that by someone who knows more than me. Have you seen any change in hair color? Red over the withers (ahead of the shoulders) on black cows or around the ears turning white? How about evcessive licking? Cattle that are doing good, will lick their hair. Cattle that are seeking more copper will lick their hair excessively, making those waves you see sometimes. I will post what I find out to answer your questions.

Yes, I've seen some of the hair color thing, but not an excessive amount. Couple of 3 yr olds come to mind, but they are half sisters and I attributed it to genetics. Funny you mention the licking thing. Lost a calf last week to bloat likely caused by clostridia (waiting on final results) and found a bunch of hair balls in its stomach (don't ask me which one!). I can't remember the Cu number in the liver but Se was high again, 0.76 ppm. I have also noticed some heifer calves with abnormally curly (or wavy?) hair on their head/neck, almost like I'd expect on a bull. Just a few out of about 375 hd, not an epidemic, but enough that I noticed. Never thought about a mineral issue.

High in Moly here. Have been feeding a near toxic level of copper in our custom mix mineral for about 7 years. FH got us started improving on the copper.

Health and reproductivity have improved greatly.

gcreekrch said:
High in Moly here. Have been feeding a near toxic level of copper in our custom mix mineral for about 7 years. FH got us started improving on the copper.

Health and reproductivity have improved greatly.

Good to hear, gcreek. Glad it worked out!

PatB, I can't find the source....sorry about that...I think it was a compilation I found somewhere.

LCP, I doubt curly hair on the head/neck area is caused from too much licking (seeking copper from their haircoat)
....don't know how they would lick there. :D Most likely genetics as you mentioned.

Thanx for the info. I copied and pasted into and email and share with several breeders who are concerned about copper level in our mineral.

Interesting thing about Copper. When I was running captive Bighorn sheep, I had their Copper levels bumped up to near toxic levels too. My total herd health improved, and the hair coats were AWESOME. I think we were at 3ppm on the Copper, and for domestic sheep that would be near fatal.

Latest posts