• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Some interesting ideas we've seen in Nebraska

Help Support Ranchers.net:

nr

Reaction score
BobM beside the carefully painted sign of all the local brands in town near the bank where Sandhusker works.

MORELANDSANDBOBM036.jpg

BobM where he does his writing in his house that is much like an art museum with lovely paintings and photos! made us want to hang up more pictures at home.
MORELANDSANDBOBM041.jpg

Soapweed's invention: a hingeless gate, the side post is drilled out in the bottom and a post in the ground fits up into that side post. The top is held in place with braces. That may not be the best description of this clever system.

MORELANDSANDBOBM012.jpg

the top of the gate
MORELANDSANDBOBM011.jpg

How a rancher warms up his wife
MORELANDSANDBOBM008.jpg

And here we thought that was ALL abdominal muscle.

I'm feeling a little guilty. So many problems folks are having from Katrina's flooding and we're enjoying our trip high and dry out here so much.
Last night we rec'd an email from the lady who leads a Bible Study at home. Her mom was missing down in New Orleans. After maybe a week they rec'd word she'd been evacuated to a nursing home in bad shape. Then to a hosp. where she died. Must have been very hard on the daughter not being with her during her last hours. Although the daughter feels happy her mom is in heaven at peace and not in the midst of the chaos anymore.

The wife works in a nursing home here, thats been her concern the seniors down there. How they could ever live through seeing what happened to a home they've lived all there lives. Sad... on to a brighter note soapweed does give me a good chuckle,Am very impressed with thegate!!!

Great pictures, NR. Keep posting as you travel, please. That gate is I fine example of a gate style that used to be fairly common around here. What really impresses me is...... where the heck did Soap find those trees to build it with? :lol: :lol: :lol:

jersey lilly, in our part of SD, and maybe true of NE too, the phone poles go to the landowner when no longer needed, as our wires are underground now. Electic line poles also go to landowner when changed out, I believe.

Soapweed, what is the "other" purpose of the big red gizmo? If your temperatures have been anything like ours this summer, she would probably appreciate a "wife cooler" more!

Your great looking gate is similar in design to some on this ranch. Now we are lazy (and have bad knees!) and use the metal ones, with a slide our son designed to be easily opened and closed without getting off the horse.

MRJ

MRJ said:
Soapweed, what is the "other" purpose of the big red gizmo? If your temperatures have been anything like ours this summer, she would probably appreciate a "wife cooler" more!

MRJ
MRJ, on the back side of that calf warmer is an electric heater with a blower on it that forces warm air under the grate, which serves as the floor. Most run on 220, but some 110, and do a real good job of quickly drying and warming cold calves. These warmers also work good to throw in the back of the pickup and transport a calf that needs to go to the vet, broken leg, sick, etc... They're made in Canada, and have been available at the Black Hills Stock Show.

MRJ,
Here too. We use them for corner posts and H braces or Pole Barns. Never thought about makin a gate out of them. But it's a cool idea.
Also we have 3 RR Trussel (sp) Bridges crossing creeks coming into our property. When the RR replaces the cross ties we get all the old ones. They've done one bridge so far(the smallest one) and we have a huge pile of them already. they are even nice enough to bring them inside the gate and pile them up for us.

Latest posts