• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Some Photos from the last While

Help Support Ranchers.net:

randiliana

Reaction score
Well, it was a little cooler here today. Just +3 C for a high here today, rather than +12C. Absolutely unreal weather for this country! Usually we are -30 about this time of the year. Whatever the case, I have to say I love the weather, makes for easy feeding, and the cattle are of course all doing really, really well. Calves are growing like weeds, heifers are happy and the cows, are still out grazing part time...They are only getting about 2/3 of the feed that they would usually get, and they are looking awesome!

Plus I've been able to do some riding in this lovely weather. The only problem is the ice, but it is almost all gone now too!

Anyways, here's some photos from the past few days....

Bred Heifers
Shorthorn x Angus (Coyote should recognize these ones... lol)
DSC004561.jpg

DSC004531.jpg

DSC004471.jpg

Some of the other Bred heifers
DSC004551.jpg

DSC004521.jpg

DSC004461.jpg

DSC004441.jpg

DSC004421.jpg

DSC004391.jpg

DSC004371.jpg

DSC004341.jpg

DSC004292.jpg

One we raised
DSC004411.jpg

One of the ones we are custom feeding and calving...
DSC004401.jpg

The cow herd
DSC004601.jpg

One of the colts I'm working with, and, no she didn't work that hard, she just doesn't like being left alone, at all....
DSC004281.jpg

Sunrise Yesterday
DSC004241.jpg

Great pictures. The cattle look great. I don't know what it is about horses now days, but the last 6 or 7 young ones we have had around here are just plain herd bound. We have a 4 year old, that I got as a weanling. Has been handled exactly the same way as all the rest of our horses, that is just a mess if you try to use him by himself, or leave him locked up alone. A little sweat over being alone never hurt any critter. :D :D

Nice pictures, Randiliana. Looks like you've had a nice winter also, as have we.

LazyWP said:
Great pictures. The cattle look great. I don't know what it is about horses now days, but the last 6 or 7 young ones we have had around here are just plain herd bound. We have a 4 year old, that I got as a weanling. Has been handled exactly the same way as all the rest of our horses, that is just a mess if you try to use him by himself, or leave him locked up alone. A little sweat over being alone never hurt any critter. :D :D

I get all nervous and uptight when I'm in a crowd. :wink:

Nice group of functional cattle randi. Enjoy your trip south knowing the cows are going into a shortened winter in good shape.

Soap, if you would just get out 'n mingle with folks a little, you might get over being frightened in a crowd
:D

LazyWP said:
Not to hijack the thread, but we see the same thing, LazyWP. It's
so aggravating and I don't know how you break them from doing it.

We bought a yearling and kept him, rode him til he was 7 and he was
that way. Mr. FH even laid him down more than once when he was out
riding him. If he even saw other horses he got very excited and unmanageable. Dragging calves to the fire, he would whinny at the other horses. He was bad
lonesome. We sold him to a young man who knew how he was...he
started calf roping on him.....couldn't stand him even loose in the
lots as he would run and whinny, run and whinny, tail over his back, etc.
But when they put him to work, really to work, roping calves, he
quit all that. He got really good and there was lots of talk about
him being a good prospect. He wound up sold for $15,000 to a calf roper.

We have a lonesome one right now. If you take another horse out
of the barn and leave him in there by himself, he'll paw and get upset
and whinny. Disgusting. I don't think he is as bad as the other one
I mentioned, but he haven't ridden him much either. Horses are herd
animals, and we understannd that, but we can't remember them
being so adamant about it.

I've dealt with some good ones and some bad ones. The roan is a little herd bound, but certainly not too bad, a few sessions of being tied up by herself should fix it. She spent about 6 hours by herself in the barn the other day before she settled down and we let her go. The worst I have took a whole fall at the stockyards. She wore out a pair of shoes pawing during the 6 week fall season. She's pretty good now, and an excellent horse as far as working goes. But definitely not a people horse.

Latest posts