• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Some pics--been awhile since I've posted!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Wyoming Wind

Reaction score
Been a long while since I've posted pics of our ranching life here in western WY; we had a drought breaking summer last summer. 3 inches of rain right in the middle of haying followed by 3 1/2 inches of rain a few days after we finished up haying! Calves did well on the forest last summer and we were heavier on shipping day than we thought we would be. It helped for picking good replacement heifer calves...
This photo was taken a few days before shipping day. We were out there cutting out our replacements.
6a8c8cb9bcc8097fd0680219f579df25_zps17e4ccce.jpg

Replacement heifers heading to the chute for vaccinations
a2ae866fe1a0a7a694859b26d07e4afd_zpsc283d4b2.jpg

The tools of the trade :)
fbc472445fac7811e99482534c898008_zps7b96e1c1.jpg

My husband running the chute and our dog Tator doing his job

7978c44bf220766fea2051c3908fbb58_zpse84ad154.jpg

Tator doing his other job--being a loyal friend :)
8cfb659ad82feb0c909b717d15c07a95_zpsaf4a9ffb.jpg

My 4 year old son in the middle on his 22 year old pony mare Nitro, my nephew on the left on his 10 year old Icelandic Pony, and a helpful tolerant neighbor loading the alleyway last Oct
66d12265f1436c5d16bbf7b546aada48_zps7a2b0923.jpg

My 4 year old son loping back for more calves to bring up the alleyway and doing a good job of not losing his cowboy hat!
6a5276af2979420a52c3753e27f412ae_zps4b4d9ffc.jpg

After missing out on the last 4 opening day of elk season (for good reason--home with the kiddo) I brought him with this year so I could participate. We drove our Gator a ways in the dark, hiked a good mile or so, and holed up on a point to glass and see if the other hunters on the forest could run the elk our direction. My son had to bring his "rifle" with too! No luck that day, heard plenty of other folks firing shots, but it was fun to be back out especially with my son!
6aa52a194c2dfb7f59be079b1b03803b_zps3c4482c1.jpg

Our country snowed up early this year. We started to feed Nov 12th--last year we made it till Jan 1st. We feed elk on a nearby feedground for the game and fish in the wintertime too...but we have still found some free time to do some fun winter activities. This hill is just north of us--the county plows it perfect for us to have a mile long sled run! My husband, my son riding piggyback, and my nephew behind on his own sled!
92ca5459548ecfe7ddead01ea83740af_zps201408c3.jpg

We had some unusual fog in early Jan--closer to the Green River gets plenty of fog but we are usually out of it at our upper ranch (elevation 7730). It was foggy for 3 days in a row and when it left it gave me some nice shots of a fog bow.
ed52a94bb8df877f2ecfd5ba17c9f90b_zps70290cab.jpg

My mother in laws ducks started missing mid Jan. We thought maybe the neighbors dogs snuck in and nabbed them...after tracking, we found the culprit. Naughty kitty!
ce9dccc8b7dbdcab893ba90af3cf71c1_zps06ec713e.jpg

We are 6 weeks out from the start of calving so we will start moving cows around, scour guarding, and getting ready for it. We will continue to feed the elk until the game and fish tell us to quit for the year. I hope to post some pics of that soon on here! Here's hoping we will find a nice antler set or two!

Awesome set of pictures! That is sure some neat country ya'll live in. If ya need any help (especially with finding shed horns), just yell and I will head east on a long trot.

Looks like your son was out for Wabbits not elk. :D :D

That helping out around the corral will make great hands out of those kids. They will know how to work and appreciate a job done well. :D

Love that pic of your son loping back for more calves, takes me back 20 years or more when my kids were helping out. :D

You have posted some wonderful shots. That looks like a lynx cat instead of a bobcat...I noticed the tufts at the end of the ears--could that be a lynx? Incredible shot! And the colors in the sky in the windmill picture...!! Love the way your family works and plays together! Can't wait for more of your pictures!

Tell us more about your dog, please. What kind is it? We had a yellow dog that was the best dog we
ever owned.

Faster Horses, our dog Tator is a mix breed...he has Black Mouth Cur, probably some Border Collie, and who knows what else! He is a heck of a dog; sneaks up on a cow, heels like crazy, and will stand down a cow or bull no matter what it takes. Best cow dog that we have had since I've been around! He is one of a kind. We would love to find a good female to breed him to but they are hard to find too around here! Tator is a once in a lifetime type of dog for sure :) Yeah, the bobcat was a pretty good size male. He was able to pack off 2 large fat ducks--I'm guessing the ducks were close to 20 pounds each? The bobcat had a lot of porcupine quills in him too.

H, we expect the bigger bull elk to start dropping antlers in a few weeks...I'll get some photos for you before they lose their horns. Antler hunting opener starts May 1st...come on up!

Our son loves to help and especially loves his pony. We got lucky finding her! My niece and nephews help out a ton on the ranch too. It's a great way to grow up!

AWESOME pictures!!!! Glad you posted them. I think I remember when you posted pics of the pony mare before. Keep the pictures coming

Absolutely awesome pictures. Love seeing the family stuff. Warms my heart in a sometimes dreary world.

Latest posts