• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Some pictures from the desert- part 2

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Our next trip took us to town to pick out a couple stockshow pigs for littlest H!!! :shock: Crazy kid wants to show a hog. Here is the swine expert checking out whatever ya check when picking a pig.

Can't believe he wants to show a pig! It ought'a be western as we sure aren't pig farmers.

Little H and I went and helped a neighbor last Saturday. We worked the calves first and then rode down the valley and branded, tagged and vaccinated some new cows he had bought. Sure was a pretty day for it. We have been blessed with an above average snowpack and our mountains show it. THANK YOU LORD!

Running cows through the alley and chute to add Rick's brand.

Cows were in fine flesh. They came from Northern Utah and it will take a little adaptation to get used to the desert. It will be fun to see how well they take to our country of less grass and more rocks.

Burnin' Hair.

Some of the help was suspect at best! :D At least it's my best side.

And some of the help was top notch.

We worked them and paired them up with their calves. Then we kicked them put on grass.

Looking for the gate out of the wire trap we paired them up in.

We stuck them on water and left them. They were filling up on H20 as we rode back to the truck. We have had a few spring rains and the grass ought'a take off and grow any day now. Still cold at night, but hitting the high 50's during the day.

The wide open spaces of the west desert are a pretty sight to a desert rat like me!

Walking pigs is what I will leave you with! :shock: Those 2 pigs follow them kids around like a pair of oinking dogs!

It may have something to do with hand feeding them marshmellows. :D

Get along little showpig, get along! The things we do for our kids! :D Have a wonderful sunday evening! Hope you enjoyed tagging along with our bunch.

I don't have any, but I like pigs,.. my friend had a HUGE boar, probably closing in on 1000 lbs... he was friendly as a dog, but the wifey didn't like him much.. one day he escaped while I was there, and was walking around wifey's car.. My buddy goes to the truck to get some leftover timbits (mini doughnuts), and he lured him back to his pen with those.. The boar was SO concentrated on looking at that box where the doughnuts were coming from he didn't see a pothole and fell flat on his chin... it was quite a show.. he never once lost sight of that box though!

Great pics, I do love the desert, though I do love mountains too.. that's some pretty big sky there.

hate powder river chutes, got more knots on my heads from those friggin handles. I got one converted to hydraulic, it not as bad, still got a handle for the tail gate....

jodywy said:
hate powder river chutes, got more knots on my heads from those friggin handles. I got one converted to hydraulic, it not as bad, still got a handle for the tail gate....

I'm planning on buying a Powder River CH 2000 for myself this fall. Pretty wide opening head gate, low profile floor cattle flow through nicely. Neck extenders do a pretty good job of head control. I grew up using the manuals, so I don't seem to have the handle/head issues. I am also about 5'9".

I do Love the Alley Rollgates. Much referred to the Over the Back Alley stops or side mount ones that make cattle hesitate.

Y'know 'H, it's a helluva thing to blame your new hog habit on your kids like that. You can just fess up, some of us won't hardly tease you at all.

Those were awesome pictures, but you sure are a glutton for punishment!!! I can't believe you talked your kids into the pigs after talking them into the goats!!

Thanks H, I enjoyed the whole show.

If you're bored, you can come and share a few night shifts under the Northern Lights.

Regards to your family, those kids are almost like family having watched them grow for several years.

Take Care

gcreekrch said:
Thanks H, I enjoyed the whole show.

If you're bored, you can come and share a few night shifts under the Northern Lights.

Regards to your family, those kids are almost like family having watched them grow for several years.

Take Care

Thanks Pal! Getting to know you is one of the best things about ranchers.net Ya'll are like extended family. I would absolutely LOVE to come take the night shift one year up your way. Of course, I may fall in love with BC and never leave. So be careful what ya agree to! :D

As for the rest of you scallywags giving me trouble about the swine operation currently being started by littlest H....... I probably deserve it for giving you a ribbing sometime in the not to distant past! :wink: BMR, I was taught by Captain McCrae that pigs are never rented! Silver would give me crap regardless of what critter we were raising. And LazyWP needs to spend less time teasing me and more time letting hunt turkeys and whitetails.

Couldn't you have gone and gotten more goats? I have a lot more goat jokes to use but I can't make fun of you for pigs because my father-in-law has a large pork production operation and my wife is his only child. He will quickly learn that the only good thing about pigs is eating them, they are mean, vicious animals. Seriously, you need more goats, can I send you one? I have several more versions of "Lonely goatherded" to post and I can't do that if you don't go and get some more goats.

Nicky said:
How did you like that alleyway?

It worked swell. I was catching cows on the chute for Rick and the kids kept the alley full. We worked those old spoiled sisters at a great clip and had them done in no time. It was a nice alley.

Latest posts