• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Some Utah back country:

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER said:
That's a long ways to haul a horse, is there any pack rats in that part of the country.
good luck

I guess I'm a little slow,,, would you explain the connection between hauling horses and pack rats, and are the "pack rats' you ask about 2 legged or 4 legged? :) :)

mustang said:
HAY MAKER said:
That's a long ways to haul a horse, is there any pack rats in that part of the country.
good luck

I guess I'm a little slow,,, would you explain the connection between hauling horses and pack rats, and are the "pack rats' you ask about 2 legged or 4 legged? :) :)

Sure, I can xplain the connection they both create problems, it is a long way to haul horses,and my horse is rat shy.
good luck

HAY MAKER said:
mustang said:
HAY MAKER said:
good luck

Sure, I can xplain the connection they both create problems, it is a long way to haul horses,and my horse is rat shy.
good luck

Hay Maker has a "rat story" that he's "burning" to tell again. Also includes a bit of a skittish horse and a few broken ribs.

C'mon Hay Maker, refresh our memories.

:lol2:

Found it. I sure can sympathize with the pain you felt Hay Maker but I still get the giggles when I think about this story. :lol:

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:49 pm Post subject: Back............whats left of me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We were up early this Monday morning, was thinking these ole mesquite flats are pretty when the cactus is blooming as I was walkin back from the outhouse,it was really a beautiful morning,fresh coffe brewing and the sun just starting up for another days work.
Breakfast was about done, elmo was already givin orders,..........Juan get the horses around to the front corral,throw the saddles on the jeep and bring it around,get movin muchacho we got mucho trabajo today as he reached for a bottle of old crow and watch out for them damned rattlesnakes,damn I hate those thangs.
Ole elmo never did say exactly how it happened,but he got bit on his backside by a rattler once,believe he was in a compromising position answering mother natures call when a small rattler latched onto his butt,I tease the ole geezer bout it all the time,but he dont find any humor in it ,the man truly hates snakes.

I been riding my young gray horse and was thinking the little gray is coming along pretty good as I was tightening the cinch,ole elmo was riding his old sorrel mare and the two mexican boys helping us, were driving my jeep,plan for today was move stockers out of the river bottom pasture closer to the camp and corrals for inspection and shipping.
Things were just about as good as it gets cattle were trailin that old jeep as the mexican boys have been feeding cubes out of it,and me and ole elmo were riding drag it looked like we were going to get the cattle off the bottom pasture before the day got to hot.

But as luck would have it elmo spots a big rattler moving into some drift wood piled against a pear flat,he pulled his pistol as the rattler disappered into the drift pile,that's where those damned rattlers are coming from he said,tell the boys to bring that jeep down here with the kerosene.
Elmo maybe we better get the stock run up to the corrals ? .............Hell NO !!! Im tired of those damned things killin everything around here and biting folks remember last month ? we lost a good calf outa a damned good cow when she got snake bit,she still has a hole in her nose where the flesh fell off,Im gonna burn tha damned thangs out. Its good and green down here so now is a good time to get rid of them and there damned house.

Well....... was no changing ole elmos mind about burnin that drift pile,he already had the mexican boys turned around and fetchin the kerosene.........now this was a pretty big drift pile,just brush and a fews old tree trunks that had been washed up by the river,but ole elmo was determined wouldnt long before he had it burning and I thought well maybe the ole geezer has a good idea as we sure had a surplus of rattlers......................I should have known better,but Im sittin there on my young gray horse watchin elmo and the boys with a shotgun waiting for the rattlers to come out........Well rattlers aint the only thing that lives in those drift piles,bout the time it took elmo to un cork the old crow and take a swallow or two, wood rats start running outa the burn pile..........how in the hell one run straight at my horse's back leg and the way ole elmo tells it........ ran right up his leg and got under his tail,thats when all hell broke loose,I been on a few buckin horses but that was one helluva ride,just could'nt stay with that gray horse when the dust had settled,I remember elmo askin if I was alright and guffawing about me going one way and that wood rat the other with my gray horse still bucking outa sight.
Needless to say chores were a whole lot harder to complete that day,gray horse has been set back abit and I got 3 broke ribs and a bruised lung,back here in the Hill country,be close to the computer for a few days doc sez 4 to 6 weeks before I get back to any serious work.
And ole elmo is tellin everyone in town how hard the gray can buck with a wood rat in his ass.
Good luck

glad you found this Gcreek, and i know that it hurt a lot HAY MAKER but from a spectator's veiw....lmao :lol: :lol: :lol:

well, it does sound kinda funny now, and if i had'nt been riding a young horse I think i could have made the ride, I know the last gray horse i stupidly give to a neighbor girl when i had this big idea about 4 wheelers, would have never turned wrong side out.
sure he woulda did some fancy crow hoppin but nuthin like ole cotton, I guess that was the hardest i ever hit the ground.
good luck

HAY MAKER said:
mustang said:
HAY MAKER said:
good luck

good luck

I can plainly tell where the entertainment for this little safari should come from. Only one requirement ,,, you have to bring your own rat.

The previous pictures are of one, of the optional rides we could take. It would take the biggest part of one day,,, approximately 12 miles. Starts in Deer Creek and ends in The Gulch.

Correction>> The Deer Creek-Gulch pictures are under "Slow Day"
The above pictures are of,, Fish Creek.

If I make it, think i will just bring my saddle, long way to haul horses maybe i can get someone to lend me a horse that's close .
Anyway those pictures and that country are first class, thanks for takin the time to post em.
good luck

HAY MAKER said:
If I make it, think i will just bring my saddle, long way to haul horses maybe i can get someone to lend me a horse that's close .
Anyway those pictures and that country are first class, thanks for takin the time to post em.
good luck

I'm kind of new on Rancher's and I hesitate to get too obnixious with the pictures,,, but :wink: I really have an appreciation for that" red rock country." I've taken five or six groups of friends down there over the years and wish I could take everyone, who has an interest in it, so they could see what I've been able to see. I really appreciate your interest and comments,,, thanks again.... :)

Im in, just say when.
Haymaker, Im 90 miles west of Amarillo TX. If you get up here with your saddle, Ill find a rat hater and we'll haul over there.
If you bring your guitar to play, the trip would be alot better and a lifetime memory Im sure.

nmhighdesert said:
Im in, just say when.
Haymaker, Im 90 miles west of Amarillo TX. If you get up here with your saddle, Ill find a rat hater and we'll haul over there.
If you bring your guitar to play, the trip would be alot better and a lifetime memory Im sure.

I've got a nice red roan 6 year old "colt" that could stand some ridin'. :wink:

He'd blend right in with that country when you guys start playin' outlaw. :wink:

mustang said:
HAY MAKER said:
good luck

I'm kind of new on Rancher's and I hesitate to get too obnixious with the pictures,,, but :wink: I really have an appreciation for that" red rock country." I've taken five or six groups of friends down there over the years and wish I could take everyone, who has an interest in it, so they could see what I've been able to see. I really appreciate your interest and comments,,, thanks again.... :)

You just keep on posting them and we'll let you know when it gets to be too much for our eyes.

But I can guarantee you that it won't be any time soon. That is spectacular country, a real pleasure to see! Especially for those of us who don't get the chance to see it very often or any time soon.

nmhighdesert said:
Im in, just say when.

Well thanks nmhighdesert, if it all comes together and I can make it, I will take you up on your generous offer.
good luck

I am wholeheartedly and completely in as well! I will visit with a bunch of ya to see what time frame works the best for the most people and start the buggy going over the cliff! :lol: :lol: Think about how long we want to stay for and the time of year that allows you to sneak away for a bit. I will handle the area to ride, transportation needs, groceries, emt-fire-police-national gaurd availability and living wills! :wink: Watch for PMs from me to those of you who have expressed interest. Pass the word. It will be like the Deadwood get-together only with less witness's! I will dedicate a post for the trip and start it here in coffee shop. I have no idea where we are going, but we making damn good time! :lol: Blame Mustang for the idea but save all the credit for me if we all get back to camp.

leanin' H said:
I am wholeheartedly and completely in as well! I will visit with a bunch of ya to see what time frame works the best for the most people and start the buggy going over the cliff! :lol: :lol: Think about how long we want to stay for and the time of year that allows you to sneak away for a bit. I will handle the area to ride, transportation needs, groceries, emt-fire-police-national gaurd availability and living wills! :wink: Watch for PMs from me to those of you who have expressed interest. Pass the word. It will be like the Deadwood get-together only with less witness's! I will dedicate a post for the trip and start it here in coffee shop. I have no idea where we are going, but we making damn good time! :lol: Blame Mustang for the idea but save all the credit for me if we all get back to camp.

"Translation please" I've been studying this epistle for fifteen minutes and can't decide whether I should laugh, get ready to work, or leave town fast."

gcreekrch said:
nmhighdesert said:
Im in, just say when.

I've got a nice red roan 6 year old "colt" that could stand some ridin'. :wink:

He'd blend right in with that country when you guys start playin' outlaw. :wink:

by the time you get him down here, he will be 8, but well rode by then!

Latest posts