• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Somemore Pictures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
2005-10-05-001.jpg

Workin on mineral feeder tire thingy ma jigs.

2005-10-05-002.jpg

I sure hope he dont slip with that drill and screw my boot to the bottom.

2005-10-05-006.jpg

I put mineral out last night, this is what it looked like this morning, put two tires out.

2005-10-05-005.jpg

This my friends is a neighbors hay field. AFTER the wild hogs been in there one night. See I told ya'll they could tear up a hayfield over night!!!!

2005-10-05-014.jpg

This is a reallllllly BIG old oak tree. The dead leaves are a branch that broke from the wind we got from hurricane rita.

2005-10-05-052.jpg

This is our lil "pet" deer. I dont know what kinda deer she is, she's been with our cows off and on for the past 8 years. She's escaped from someone's exotic herd I"m sure. But she'll come to the truck sometimes to get cubes.

2005-10-05-036.jpg

this is sophie, my 5 month old border collie.

2005-10-05-041.jpg

Cute lil curious red heifer.

2005-10-05-025.jpg

Ole Red Mama Cow

Ok now, these next couple pictures I'd like some feed back on. 3 years ago I bought 5 braunvieh hiefers. I like them well enough, they are good mama's, calve easily, but I"m just not sure I like the heifer calves we kept off them last year. They dont really look bad, and I can't put my finger on what it is I dont like about em. What's ya'lls opinion of either the cow or heifers?
2005-10-05-010.jpg

2005-10-05-022.jpg

Lilly - Just a few comments on your pictures before we get to the cow and heifers:

I like the Mineral Feeders. I would suggest that you arrange a roof of some kind to keep the elements out of the minerals.

I think that I would have "wild pig" for breakfast for a few weeks - courtesy of "Midnight Supply" Packing Plant!

The "Pet Deer" looks like the 'elusive' European Speckled-Rump Black-tailed Fallow deer, species Dama dama. (What the Heck do I know?) :eek: :shock: :???:

Congratulations on keeping that great looking Border Collie secured in the back of your pick-up! It just curdles my blood to see a dog leaping around loose in the back of a truck with the driver paying absolutely no attention to it! They can lose their balance and get thrown out in a New Orleans minute - or even a New York minute!

Now to the cattle:

The Braunvieh Breed is a very intriguing line of cattle! They apparently are good Mothers, good milkers, docile, reasonable weaning weights and yearling weights. Of course, that assumes that the EPD's are in good balance and that the individual breeding cows and bulls are top quality - just as is the case with any other breed. The Genotype and Phenotype and EPD's and Management Practices are what determines the bottom line on the Bank Statement.

Do you utilize Pasture Rotation in your operation? Your heifers need more condition for their age. Have you done Soil testing on your pastures? You might consider that to determine if your grass is getting what it needs for optimum production.

It is difficult to make a concise judgement of the heifers from these pictures, however IMO - the far heifer is not too bad, and with more conditioning I think she would be okay. The near heifer needs to grow wheels and not be wasting your time and money on her or her calves. I could be wrong, but that is the way I see them. Don't be Barn Blind and think that, "- - - -gee, maybe she will be okay if - - -"

DOC HARRIS

Lily: I'm sure that if you followed Soapweed's lead and made smiley faces in the mineral for your stock that everything would improve: the pigs would quit their rampaging: your deer would grow out of her spots: and them heifers would flesh out,hair up and turn into fine cows!!! :lol: :lol: :wink:

Seriously it is hard for a northener to look at earred, slick hided critters that are still grazing green grass in October and offer any kind of relevant advice.We'll just wait for ole Haymaker to analyze the situation ........and I'm sure if anybody disagrees he'll hear about it! :twisted:

ok to answer some of your questions and reply to some of your statements.....

The mineral feeders (tires) I"m only putting out as much as they'll eat...tryin to keep it in check till a better feeder gets built. Right now that's 1/2 bag in each tire, I have it out in the front pasture and the cows that stay up there aren't eating it as fast as those in the back ate this I put out last night. They should slow down some, so I'll slow down too.

We have wild pig ever time the chance comes along. Pork McNuggets as the kids call the backstrap.

The deer....dont matter what kind she is...there's no others runnin around with her, she aint' reproducin...and she's sweet. lol

There's two border collies in there if you look real close....nother set of paws..The chains are only long enough that they can look over the sides, these two came to me from my best friend in idaho....dont want em fallin outta the truck n gittin squished. Plus keeps em from...jumpin out and workin on their own since they aren't trained yet. Just gettin em used to cattle as of yet.

The Cattle:

We are in the process of building cross fences, but as of right now, no rotational grazing. But we're gettin there.

No soil testing on pastures (but I've wanted to), main thing it needs is rain right now. Most years grass is belly deep. :cry: Been terribly dry round here this summer.

And as far as the heifers go. I have 4 that came out of the Braunveih cows, and I wanted to ship all of them when we worked cows the other day. There's always a what if.....but in my opinion, the what if is....what if I ship em and put that money into ONE REALLY GOOD BRANGUS BULL???
I"m planning on goin to the Camp Cooley Sale, and the Mound Creek Brangus Sale this month and next. I may not be able to afford anything they have, but I'll never know till I go and see.

Thanks so much for your opinions Doc, preciate you takin the time.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
ok to answer some of your questions and reply to some of your statements.....

The mineral feeders (tires) I"m only putting out as much as they'll eat...tryin to keep it in check till a better feeder gets built. Right now that's 1/2 bag in each tire, I have it out in the front pasture and the cows that stay up there aren't eating it as fast as those in the back ate this I put out last night. They should slow down some, so I'll slow down too.

We have wild pig ever time the chance comes along. Pork McNuggets as the kids call the backstrap.

The deer....dont matter what kind she is...there's no others runnin around with her, she aint' reproducin...and she's sweet. lol

There's two border collies in there if you look real close....nother set of paws..The chains are only long enough that they can look over the sides, these two came to me from my best friend in idaho....dont want em fallin outta the truck n gittin squished. Plus keeps em from...jumpin out and workin on their own since they aren't trained yet. Just gettin em used to cattle as of yet.

The Cattle:

We are in the process of building cross fences, but as of right now, no rotational grazing. But we're gettin there.

No soil testing on pastures (but I've wanted to), main thing it needs is rain right now. Most years grass is belly deep. :cry: Been terribly dry round here this summer.

And as far as the heifers go. I have 4 that came out of the Braunveih cows, and I wanted to ship all of them when we worked cows the other day. There's always a what if.....but in my opinion, the what if is....what if I ship em and put that money into ONE REALLY GOOD BRANGUS BULL???
I"m planning on goin to the Camp Cooley Sale, and the Mound Creek Brangus Sale this month and next. I may not be able to afford anything they have, but I'll never know till I go and see.

Thanks so much for your opinions Doc, preciate you takin the time.
Oh, Yes! Now I see the other two paws. At first, I thought that they were the feet of one of the Dama dama Fallow deer! I think that your plan regarding shipping the heifers and getting ONE REALLY GOOD BRANGUS BULL has merit!!

DOC HARRIS

Forgot to tell you Lily, those are some really good pictures! You have a 'touch' with finding colors that are out of the usual.

And I was just kiddin' about the bull.
Remember, I'm from the North and we don't see Brangus bulls much.
That's why I couldn't resist making that little crack...

Most of your pictures didnt show on my end Lilly,so didnt get to see the heifers,but nice looking mineral feeders if you hand feed em,be nice if you could figger a way to cover em like Doc said.

If your cows are using mineral that fast tells me they really needed it or,you are gonna have some mighty healthy pigs...............good luck

I see the pictures now Lilly,I dont see nuthin wrong with those heifers that a good Brangus Bull from camp Cooley wouldnt fix :wink:

Cowsense,
To us that grass isn't green. wish I had a picture, and I probably do somewhere, of what real green grass looks like down here, right now our pastures are so burnt up, what green you see is short short....

Faster horses,
HeHe, your opinion of a REAL GOOD BRANGUS BULL is kinda like my opinion of a REAL GOOD HEREFORD BULL (I dont like em) I know they have their place.....just not on my place. I do have some white face cows......but most times when you put a black bull on em...ya getta black calf. Dont mind the lil red calves..like the one pictured...long as it dont have a white face. But I have kept a few with whitefaces over the years too. Also about the bulls, I do have a tendancy to agree with you, maybe that's why I have such a hard time findin a brangus bull I like. Alot of the time they just dont look right, And now I"m prejiduced to my own bull, can't find another one that I like as well as him. Two others I have dont even have names, cuz I dislike em. lol

Haymaker, Yeap they did eat that pretty fast but that's the first they've had of any mineral since last winter. They'll slow down on it I"m sure. Them pigs better stay away from my mineral.....does make ya wonder tho if they'd eat it. Just what I need.....healthier pigs...daggum thangs can already spit out 13 and 14 in a litter 2 or 3 times a year.

Nice pictures, as usual, Jersey Lilly. Thanks for putting them up for all of us to see.

My brother-in-law was real high on Braunvieh cattle quite a few years ago. He very much wanted to sell me some bulls. I drug my feet and told him that he could be a pioneer in the field, and if they really took off, I would jump on the band wagon later. Later never came......

I helped him build a ranch sign. It was a four-board affair, with their last name on the top board, "Ranch" on the second board, and they wanted "Registered Braunvieh and Crossbred Cattle" on the bottom two boards. I suggested putting the "and" on the third board with the "Registered Braunvieh" in case they ever didn't like the Braunvieh and changed programs. That way the "Crossbred Cattle" could still be on the bottom board. He decided to put the "and" on the last board. Needless to say, the sign now just has the two top boards. That worked out alright, though, because they have pretty much straight Angus anymore.

The thing I like least about Braunvieh cattle is their color. I prefer jet black or deep cherry red. Browns and brindles don't impress me much. This is all just personal opinion, and yes, I am more than a little bit opinionated. :? :???: :shock: :) :wink:

Those tires feeder's work well the one's we have have a wood base that they are screwed to then the cow's don't tip them over.

Yeap soapweed, I like black best, and dark red next. (but without the white face) lol

Most of it is all just personal preference, along with what does well in your area.
Most of what's red in our herd came from a Red Brangus Bull we had about 10 or so years ago. And it still amazes me at the black cows...with a black brangus bull on em..how many will throw a red calf.
I only kept one red calf this year.....that one in the picture. She was just too perdy and built good to let go.

The Braunveih color dont bother me so much as their head. It never looses that wooly look. The rest of the body slicks off but not their face and around their ears.....I kid hubby that they have "old man ears".....ya know...lots of earhair. :roll:

Oh my gosh!!! The best picture of them all is that one of the wild hogs damaging the hay field!! I've never seen that before. EVER!!! Them damn pigs sure can make a mess huh? Thats amazing....I actually seen my first wild hogs the other day and they looked like just your regular old famers pig. They were all colors and everything! One was spotted and look a lot like the 4-H pig i had as a kid....haha. Anyway, thanks Lily for posting that picture to show those of us that are ignorant to feral hogs and their damage! I thought it looked like somone had root plowed across there, but in a way....someone did!! haha

A word of warning!!!!!!!The dog should be secured in the middle of the box.If it decides to jump it could hang itself! :eek:

the chain aint long enuff for her to jump, she can just barely get her nose peakin over the side of the truck in the corner. She'd hafta jump backwards to get her back feet over the side. I know critters can do amazing things. They've only went to town and out to the pasture with me two times in the truck, and I'm very concious of them back there, checkin on em to see if they are ridin ok. They don't even act like they wanna offer to jump out. Heck sophie sat in the truck after I unchained her for 30 minutes yesterday. I didn't know if she didn't know how to get out..or was sittin there in hopes that we'd go somemore. hehe

I almost forgot,that doe deer you have is an axis,I have em thick down here,Im told they make good eating,I never have shot one but probably make the time this year I usually just shoot a couple white tail does for dried sausage,but some of these ole coots raved on that axis meat so much I think this year when it gets cooler I just might see. :wink: ...............good luck

Haymaker........
Do the Texas Game and Fish claim the "wild" introduced species?

Faster horses said:
Is there any such thing as a REAL GOOD BRANGUS BULL?

how about this one? he's 18 months in the pic.

and here's a herf for you to critique jersey lilly. he's 14 months in the pic

Lilly:

I love your pictures...I wish we had that big ol' oak tree in our yard---

As well your cattle look great (I'm partial to your old red cow and the calf pic) and really got a kick out of your "old man ears" comment about your braunvieh...you've got such a sense of humor.

Have a great day, and of course, cheers,

TTB

Latest posts