• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Someone splain me something about genetically-modified wheat

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Whitewing

Reaction score
Does it look different to the naked eye than any other wheat? I ask because of information in the following article which recounts how the unapproved wheat was found growing on less than 1 percent of the farmer's 125-acre (51-hectare) field in Oregon. What would prompt one to be suspicious of the plant to warrant the investigation in the first place? Or is this a matter of routine analysis? I've read the article a couple of times and can't seem to find the answer to that question. :?

Here's the article:

Monsanto Co. (MON), the world's largest seed company, said experimental wheat engineered to survive Roundup weedkiller may have gotten into an Oregon field through an "accidental or purposeful" act.

Monsanto and the U.S. Department of Agriculture are investigating how genetically modified wheat that hasn't been approved for commercial planting was found growing on an Oregon farm eight years after nationwide field tests ended.

Monsanto's genetic analyses found the variety hasn't contaminated the types of seed planted on the Oregon farm or the wheat seed typically grown in Oregon and Washington state, Chief Technology Officer Robb Fraley said today on a call with reporters. The unapproved wheat was found growing on less than 1 percent of the farmer's 125-acre (51-hectare) field, Fraley said.

"It seems likely to be a random, isolated occurrence more consistent with the accidental or purposeful mixing of a small amount of seed during the planting, harvesting or during the fallow cycle in an individual field," Fraley said on the call.

Asked whether the St. Louis-based company is suggesting the incident could be an act of sabotage, Fraley said, "That is certainly one of the options we are looking at."

Fraley said he doesn't mean to suggest the farmer who made the discovery is responsible.

Contamination Tests

Monsanto fell 3.1 percent to $98.90 at the close in New York. The shares have increased 4.5 percent this year.

Fraley said today about 1,200 genetic tests show the two seed varieties planted on the Oregon farm aren't contaminated with wheat modified to tolerate Roundup weedkiller, known as Roundup Ready wheat. Tests of 30,000 seeds from 50 varieties of white wheat sold in Oregon and Washington also showed no contamination, he said.

Following the USDA's May 29 announcement of the discovery in Oregon, both Japan and South Korea suspended some U.S. wheat purchases, and a Kansas farmer claimed yesterday in a federal lawsuit that Monsanto damaged the market for his crop.

Roundup Ready wheat hasn't been detected in tests of U.S. wheat imported by Japan, South Korea and the European Union, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said yesterday. Monsanto's $13.5 billion of annual sales are anchored in corn and other crops genetically engineered to tolerate Roundup, the world's best-selling herbicide.

Monsanto Protests

Opponents of genetically modified crops held protests against Monsanto last month as they push for state and federal bills that would require foods containing engineered ingredients to be labeled, citing food-safety and environmental concerns. The National Research Council and other scientific groups have said crops with added genes are no more risky than those developed with conventional methods.

Some Monsanto opponents may have planted seeds they illegally saved from a field trial to cause trade disruptions and build opposition to gene-altered food, said Val Giddings, a senior fellow at the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation, a Washington-based non-profit think tank. Field trials of modified crops are often destroyed by activists in Europe, he said.

"What we are starting to do is knock down all the competing possibilities, and one of those that remain standing, the sore thumb sticking up, involves something deliberate," Giddings, who helped regulate engineered crops at the USDA for eight years in the 1990s, said today by phone. "It's a really ugly hypothesis because you don't like to think people can do something that evil and malicious."

Two Years

Fraley ruled out the possibility that Roundup Ready wheat migrated from field trials to the Oregon field. Monsanto ended the trials nationwide in 2005 and in Oregon more than 12 years ago. The seed would remain viable in the Oregon soil for no more than two years, and wheat pollen remains viable for one second, with 99 percent of pollen traveling no more than 30 feet (9.1 meters), he said.

False positives for Roundup Ready wheat are common in genetic testing unless investigators use a Monsanto-designed test that distinguishes the experimental wheat variety from residue that can be left by other Roundup Ready crops such as corn and soybeans, Fraley said.

"We would like very much to analyze those samples," he said.

Monsanto has provided its test to investigators at the USDA and U.S. trading partners such as Japan, Korea and Taiwan, he said.

'False Positives'

USDA's first tests "could have provided false positives," so the agency has done "far more extensive tests" and consulted with Monsanto "to eliminate and reduce the risk of false positives," Vilsack told reporters today after a speech at the National Press Club in Washington.

"Sophisticated testing is required," Fraley said. "Our tests demonstrate that the varieties in question and other commercial seeds are clean of the event."

Monsanto hasn't yet gotten the USDA to share its testing data and procedures, Fraley said. Getting a sample of the plant's genetic material from the USDA, Oregon State University, which conducted the genetic tests, or the farmer, would enable Monsanto to "fingerprint the exact variety being implicated here," Fraley said.

Whitewing said:
Does it look different to the naked eye than any other wheat? I ask because of information in the following article which recounts how the unapproved wheat was found growing on less than 1 percent of the farmer's 125-acre (51-hectare) field in Oregon. What would prompt one to be suspicious of the plant to warrant the investigation in the first place? Or is this a matter of routine analysis? I've read the article a couple of times and can't seem to find the answer to that question. :?

I would imagine it was discovered like in other areas where some of the GMO and roundup ready plants have caused problems-- they sprayed it with Roundup- and it would not kill it.... One of the best examples of a GMO product that is now turning into hard to control ditch weed in this area and Canada is Canola.....

A genetically engineered rapeseed that is tolerant to herbicide was first introduced to Canada in 1995. In 2009, 90% of the Canadian crop was herbicide-tolerant. As of 2005, 87% of the canola grown in the US was genetically modified. A 2010 study conducted in North Dakota found glyphosate- or glufosinate-resistance transgenes in 80% of wild natural rapeseed plants, and a few plants that were resistant to both herbicides. The escape of the genetically modified plants has raised concerns that the build-up of herbicide resistance in feral canola could make it more difficult to manage these plants using herbicides. However one of the researchers agrees that ".. feral populations could have become established after trucks carrying cultivated GM seeds spilled some of their load during transportation." She also notes that the GM canola results they found may have been biased as they only sampled along roadsides.

The way I read it, Monsanto would have had to have tested every plant, wouldn't they?

It was discovered after unwanted "volunteer" seedlings survived when sprayed with the weed killer glyphosate, which led to tests that identified the wheat as a Monsanto strain.
WW, read the reuters column linked below. Why the farmer tested the seedlings... I'm not sure, maybe it was just curiosity, but something is fishy about this.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/06/04/usa-wheat-farmer-idINL1N0EG1OG20130604

Thanks OT and TB. Perhaps part of my misunderstanding is that I was under the assumption that these plants were found in a field of wheat that was soon to be harvested. Hence my question, how would one recognize them as being substantially different from other wheat plants.

Being from the south, I know little about wheat (obviously :D). I do recall though that there was a variety called winter wheat that was typically harvested in the spring.

Now, a more generic question. I was under the assumption that RoundUp was basically a powerful broadleaft herbicide. I'm guessing that assumption is wrong if the gm plants are also resistant to glyphosate. We use glyphosate down there to kill everything...broadleaf and otherwise.

TB, I'm with you on the "suspicious" nature of the finding. Something doesn't square here IMHO. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Whitewing said:
Thanks OT and TB. Perhaps part of my misunderstanding is that I was under the assumption that these plants were found in a field of wheat that was soon to be harvested. Hence my question, how would one recognize them as being substantially different from other wheat plants.

Being from the south, I know little about wheat (obviously :D). I do recall though that there was a variety called winter wheat that was typically harvested in the spring.

Now, a more generic question. I was under the assumption that RoundUp was basically a powerful broadleaft herbicide. I'm guessing that assumption is wrong if the gm plants are also resistant to glyphosate. We use glyphosate down there to kill everything...broadleaf and otherwise.

TB, I'm with you on the "suspicious" nature of the finding. Something doesn't square here IMHO. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Monsanto randomly tests fields of wheat in any farmer's fields that have signed a technology contract previously. They also test randomly at grain elevators if suspicious.

Roundup/glyphosate is a "Non-Selective" herbicide.

Monsanto is now saying this is sabotage.

a lawyer for the grower said on Tuesday. :shock:

I'd be looking for evidence of short sales of Monsanto stock by anyone related as far back as Adam & Eve. :D

Roundup/glyphosate is a "Non-Selective" herbicide.

Ah yes, now I recall that what we call Glyphosan was/is Roundup. Potreron is our broadleaf herbicide.

Mike, can you provide a link to the "sabotage" comments by Monsanto?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-05/monsanto-says-rogue-wheat-didn-t-contaminate-oregon-seed.html

From what I understand, is he sprayed to kill the wheat to plant something else and it didn't die like it should... so he took it to be tested or asked about it and someone tested it..... We grow corn and wheat and my take on all of this is that gmo has a place, but with restrictions and compitition in corn and wheat is a good thing.... I kinda think jigs is right... Monsanto is the devil in sheeps clothing..

One early story stated it as the grower sprayed his field of wheat so he could kill it (probably wouldn't make a good crop?) and some did not die.

I believe it is the reuters link story here that stated one was a winter wheat variety, and the other was not. That doesn't seem like what a farmer would plant together, does it? My fine points of winter wheat knowledge are not THAT fine! as to know the answer to that question.

For Whitewing: winter wheat is planted in the fall, grows a bit, and carries over to complete growth the following spring and summer and is harvested, sometimes as early as July in western SD. Spring wheat is planted in spring, grows and is harvested later in the summer, maybe late July or August, I believe. We have grown both, but it was quite a few years ago and we only grow hay crops now, for our weaned calves and our cows if the winter precludes grazing or drought limits it.

It looks questionable deal to me and with the climate toward Monsanto, the huge activist involvement in convincing people that Monsanto is evil, makes me suspicious of an espionage incident, farmer knowing it, or not.

Anything new and different in ag (GMO and more!) seems to bring out the activists and lest one of us becomes the next target, it seems unwise to jump onto the 'hate Monsanto' bandwagon!

Isn't one activist group just one cause away from another, and one of them deciding all production of animals for food is just another evil?

mrj

mrj said:
One early story stated it as the grower sprayed his field of wheat so he could kill it (probably wouldn't make a good crop?) and some did not die.

I believe it is the reuters link story here that stated one was a winter wheat variety, and the other was not. That doesn't seem like what a farmer would plant together, does it? My fine points of winter wheat knowledge are not THAT fine! as to know the answer to that question.

For Whitewing: winter wheat is planted in the fall, grows a bit, and carries over to complete growth the following spring and summer and is harvested, sometimes as early as July in western SD. Spring wheat is planted in spring, grows and is harvested later in the summer, maybe late July or August, I believe. We have grown both, but it was quite a few years ago and we only grow hay crops now, for our weaned calves and our cows if the winter precludes grazing or drought limits it.

It looks questionable deal to me and with the climate toward Monsanto, the huge activist involvement in convincing people that Monsanto is evil, makes me suspicious of an espionage incident, farmer knowing it, or not.

Anything new and different in ag (GMO and more!) seems to bring out the activists and lest one of us becomes the next target, it seems unwise to jump onto the 'hate Monsanto' bandwagon!

Isn't one activist group just one cause away from another, and one of them deciding all production of animals for food is just another evil?

mrj

Yeah and then there is those who have their heads stuck in the sand....

I had read that it was voulenter wheat that the guy sprayed. Whatever the case it seems a little odd to me. Whenever we spray volunteer it doesn't take but a sniff of roundup to fry wheat to a crisp (a little to much wind will fry the wheat field across the road easily also). So either this guy has been using an extreme cut rate of roundup, (which is not complying to the label) for a long time or someone did this on purpose. We have raised wheat on our farm since my great grandpa started farming when he came over from Russia. I have a hard time beleiving this "just happened".

I will bet anyone, that given enough time, I can make most plants Glypho resistant. I ran a commercial sprayer long enough to know that the poor farmers, the ones that used cut rates, had a whole bunch more Glypho resistant weeds then the farmers that wanted to make sure every thing died. Even as far back as 1999, when the competitors were still running 12 to 16 ounces of Roundup, we were running a quart. Then came the generics. With the old Roundup Ultra, if I made it out of the field before it rained, we had a good kill. With the generics, you better have the whole 8 hours of dry time.
Also back in the late 90s, we heard of guys running a light rate of Roundup on alfalfa. That was MANY MANY years before Monsanto started talking of RR hay.

katrina said:
mrj said:

mrj

Yeah and then there is those who have their heads stuck in the sand....

I see both sides. I don't like that Monsanto is so big. But 15 years ago Pioneer had almost 70 % of the corn market share and Monsanto wasn't jack squat other than Roundup Ready. So things can change. I just don't understand how Monsanto is going to be held liable for this. Wheather they should or not. I know of plenty of people for years that would use a half rate of Roundup because it worked and they didn't want to spend the extra couple bucks to put on a full rate. How can Monsanto be responsible for morons that do this. It says right on the lable to always follow the application guidelines. And anyone that has bought gmo crops has had to sign a aggrement to follow guidelines that were set by the government not Monsanto. I don't think I have my head in the sand, but also it seams like Monsanto is just a big name that everyone knows and can blame stuff on.

LazyWP said:
I will bet anyone, that given enough time, I can make most plants Glypho resistant. I ran a commercial sprayer long enough to know that the poor farmers, the ones that used cut rates, had a whole bunch more Glypho resistant weeds then the farmers that wanted to make sure every thing died. Even as far back as 1999, when the competitors were still running 12 to 16 ounces of Roundup, we were running a quart. Then came the generics. With the old Roundup Ultra, if I made it out of the field before it rained, we had a good kill. With the generics, you better have the whole 8 hours of dry time.
Also back in the late 90s, we heard of guys running a light rate of Roundup on alfalfa. That was MANY MANY years before Monsanto started talking of RR hay.

You are correct about making plant resitant to roundup. The key there is giving enough time. That's where I stated earlier that someone wasn't using proper rates for quite a while. Which is violation of the label. If that is the case I just can't see how that's monsantos fault. Even if they are "evil".

The field was fallow this year. The farmer sprayed round-up to kill weeds. The wheat did not die, so he was curious why and had it tested. Like somebody else said wheat dies pretty quick with round-up. That's why it got tested, I guess if I sprayed a field and only the wheat lived I'd be pretty interest why too.

I've done figures on RR Corn vs conventional back when it was $95 a bag for RR Seed and Roundup was over $30 a gallon they could give you conventional seed and the spray cost alone added up to more money.

Most people who hate Monsanto are the same that hate Walmart.

I'm not trying to defend Monsanto, but they are the only ones that are ever brought up when people talk about gmo crops. They were hardly the leader-innovator of gmo crops. They do have the roundup ready gene. But Dupont-Pioneer up until the last few years were far advanced and superior to anything Monsanto tried to put in the field as far as insect resistant crops. Heck even Golden Harvest, which has kind of slid backwards lately would woup up on anything Monsanto had when Bt corn first came out. But I never hear anyone complain about Syngenta. Maybe its the name or maybe its the fact that Monsanto is almost 100 percent an agricultural company (when most people think Dupont they think paint and Jeff Gordon) whatever the reason why doesn't these other companies get brought up when people that are uninformed complain about gmo crops and Monsanto?

Latest posts