• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Something to think about starting off this New Year

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hanta Yo

Reaction score
Hope everyone had a safe New Year's Eve! I printed this off DTN a number of years ago and it still hangs in my office wall. I just need to read it more often:

IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY

Dr. Bob Hamilton, a member of our staff, passed this writing of unknown origin along with his Christmas Greetings:

We have taller buildings but shorter tempers; wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints; we spend more, but have less; we buy more but enjoy it less.
We have bigger houses and smaller families; more conveniences, but less time; we have more degrees, but less common sense; more knowledge but less judgment; more experts, but more problems; more medicine, but less wellness.
We spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry too quickly, stay up too late, get up too tired, read to seldom, watch TV way too much and pray way too seldom.
We have multiplied our possessions, but reduce our values. We talk too much, love too seldom and lie too often. We've learned how to make a living, but not a life; we've added years to life, not life to years.
We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet the new neighbor. We've conquered outer space, but not inner space; we've done larger things, but not better things; we've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've split the atom, but not our prejudice; we write more, but learn less; plan more, but accomplish less.
We've learned to rush, but not to wait; we have higher incomes; but lower morals; more food but less appeasement; more acquaintances but fewer friends; more effort but less success. Build more computers to hold more information, we produce more copies than ever, but have less communication; we've become long on the glitz, but short on guts.
These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion; tall men and short character; steep profit and shallow relationships.
These are the times of world peace, but domestic warfare; more leisure and less fun; more kinds of food, but less nutrition.
These are days of two incomes, but more divorce; of fancier houses, and broken homes.
These are days of quick trips and disposable diapers, throw-away morality, one-night stands, overweight bodies and pills that do everything from cheer to quiet to kill.
These are the days of instant gratification, but no self discipline.
It is a time when there is much in the show window, and nothing in the stockroom
The body may be full, but the soul empty. Please share with me in reflecting on these things as we enter what hope promises as a blessed New Year.
First, we need to look into the end zones of our life and ask ourselves what we really want to be, do, and have in our future.
Second, we need to determine if our personal, family and business lives are in balance. What about the physical, mental, spiritual, and financial? There is a synergy when our wheel of life is in balance. Each part of our life affects every other part of our life: the physical affects the mental; the mental affects the spiritual, and so on. Our careers are affected by our relationships at home, and more at peace we are with God and our fellow man, the more likely we are to perform better on the job and be less inclined to abuse our physical bodies. We need to take time to ponder and plan how we can take better care of each area of our lives and become more relationship oriented and goal directed. How content and inspired we are by our own lives has a bearing on our relationships with others. Question: are we self-centered or others-centered? Message: get your life in balance, and you will discover that many of the things Dr. Hamilton identified will not be true in your own life, which means I really will see you over the top.

DECISIONS ARE MADE WITH THE HEAD, BUT COMMITTMENTS ARE MADE FROM THE HEART. Copyright 1999 Creators Syndicate, Inc.

What an eye-opener, Hanta!!! So very, painfully true!! I, too will be copying this off and putting it in the nurses' station at work!!
I was reading "Letters to Santa" in last weeks Montana Standard (newspaper outta Butte) and many of the letters from the children (grades Kindergarten through 4th grade) were painful eye openers as to the state of our "values"......99% of the kids started their letters off "Dear Santa, I want a PSP 2" or "I want a snowboard"....however, one little boy from Whitehall wrote "Dear Santa, my step dad is very sick...gramma says it is cancer and that he has not long, but mama says daddy will be fine.....can you please just make him better...I do not want my mom alone again and he takes care of....that is all i want, thank you"...simply brought tears to my eyes!!

Latest posts