• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sometimes sorrow brings inspiration

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Tonight, I have sure shed some tears. My amazing Aunt Jeanie is in a hospital in Delta and it will not be long until the Good Lord calls her home. She is a wonderful lady and has lived a great, long life. It will be a joyous reunion when she reaches the other side with her wonderful husband and her perfect parents, my Grand parents. I know that she will be free of the pain and trials of her life here toward its end. And most of my tears are because of the memory of happier times and experiences we have shared. The hardest part of having such a close family is, losing my Aunts and Uncles, is like losing another set of parents. I feel for my cousins and think of them as brothers and sisters. They are a fine bunch for sure. I am definitely the black sheep of the outfit, so don't judge them to harshly because of their bad luck in being related to me. I am here alone tonight, as my family are still at basketball practice over in Eureka, where the kids attend school and my wife teaches. So, after feeding and choring and getting a fire going in the stove, I went to work on a poem, to maybe try and express how I am feeling. I thought maybe I might share it with my Ranchers friends this evening. It's still a work in progress, but here goes anyway.

And if you feel so inclined, would ya maybe keep the Taylor family, here on the edge of the Great Basin, in your thoughts and Prayers this evening? Thanks Mi Amigos

Sisters of the Sheeprocks
The high desert has its beauty,
And the vistas are something to behold.
From a sea of silver sage,
To granite peaks, that are eons old.

The quakies in their splendor,
And the oaks and the maples in the fall.
All colors of the rainbow,
With a flawless deep blue sky above it all.

Maybe it's the purple of a thunderstorm
And the flash of lightning, rolling past the Swazeys.
Or just a cool mountain morning,
When the air is crisp and the clouds hang low and hazy.

But even in it's glory, the ol' desert, never stood a chance!
Compared to the beauty, of the Ekker girls, that lived on Ekker Ranch!

Full of fire and full of pride,
Always ready to rope or ride,
With their parents, side by side,
Pioneer stock, true and tried!

They are horsewomen of the highest sort,
And no cowboy could be better,
At all the tasks that ranch-life brings,
Regardless of the weather.

They grew up building fences
and taking care of stock,
Grandma taught them thier school work
And they thrived in the dust and rock.

They sunk their roots down deep
And they blossomed into ladies
And they married men to stand beside them
And started raising babies.

And they always loved the desert
And they never went to far.
And they pass along their heritage
And still shine, like the western star.

The world may not know them,
Or send accolades their way,
None of them are wealthy
But if you ask me, I would say,

That they have more than millionaires,
They have riches that touch the sky.
They are queens of the western range,
And an example to you and I,

Of treating people fairly,
And always being kind,
Of loving the Lord and the land
And to share the peace you find.

They are always helping others
And rarely stop to rest.
They encourage and inspire and make ya want to do your best.

To Josephine, Betty and Jeanie
And to Ann and Patsy too,
I send my love and high regard
And I tip my hat to you.

You are the bedrock of our family
You are loved more than you know.
We are proud to share the legacy,
That you have nurtured and helped grow.

Grandpa and Grandma Ekker
Are sure proud of you too,
And from all your kids and grandkids,
We cherish and honor you.

It really doesn't matter, which side of the veil we are on,
The love and the legacy will always continue along.

The Sisters of the Sheeprocks
Are our mothers and our friends
And its surely been a privilege
To live my life with them

Darrell Holden, February 1st, 2017

So sorry to hear what you and yours are going through 'H, thoughts and prayers from my place to yours.
Beautiful poem, thanks for sharing it with us.

Thank you kindly my Brother! The miracle of the internet is seeing the world from my desk and sharing life's ups and downs with folks like you. Have a fine evening friend

I know how you are feeling, I lost my favorite aunt almost a year ago. She would've fit right in with your nice poem. Prayers for all of you.

Whoa, that is a mighty fine tribute to the ladies in your family!

My condolences to you in your loss. These partings tear a hole in the family.

Many of us have been blessed with an Aunt Jeanie. Mine was Aunt Irene, or maybe Aunt Mable, or don't want to leave out Uncle Bill. What a blessing these forebearers have been to us. The relationship is sweet which causes their pain to be ours. That is as it should be. Something would be wrong if it didn't hurt. Nothing wrong with Leanin H. So glad to have the heritage.

I know what you are going through H, in a 6 month period last year I lost both my parents, my mother in law and my closest Aunt and Uncle. God bless you and all your family in the time of sorrow.

Beautiful poem, The females in my family seem to live forever, it is the men who leave to early.
We lost my uncle several years ago, he was in his 50's, my cousin and I would make an annual trip up to his place in late fall to pick up a load of hay (he ran a 1800 acre alfalfa farm in Yerington NV) and do some trout fishing along the Walker River, he would tell everyone around that he would be tied up for a few days because his boys were coming. Now we were in our forties at the time and both have kids of our own, but we were always his boys. His death was probably the hardest thing I had ever dealt with at the time. Thing is I still think about him every day, and really miss that 10 hour drive once a year just to go back to being boys for a few days.
I thought that that loss was hard, in July we lost our 17 month old grandson, that was one of those knockdowns in life that can be hard to get back from. I had the little monkey every afternoon, he did the evening chores with me everyday, and his biggest love was the cows, before he could walk he would crawl to the barn, he mood before he talked. In his memory myself and several friends are working on forming a group that will sponsor youth who have a true love of cattle but not the finances or support to raise a beef project. We are leaning towards heifer projects, we will provide funds for purchase, feed, and support them at the shows, for a season. We have not worked out all the kinks but hope to get it off the ground this fall. We are calling the organization "Curren's Cows".
Life always finds a way to test you, God, Family and friends is about all you have in those moments.

(Did not mean to steal your post)

VCC my heart goes out to you and your family. Losing a child or grandchild is about the toughest thing I could ever imagine. I commend you for doing something to honor his memory and would sure feel honored to donate toward that good cause. I will Pm you my contact info, and you get ahold of me when you start taking donations.

On a side note..... My wonderful Aunt Jeanie isn't ready to leave this earth yet. She has made a really good recovery and has left the hospital and is in a highly skilled care center. Like every other part of her life, she continues to surprise us all. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers and concern. Sometimes the Good Lord has different plans than we do. I am so blessed that my sweet Aunt gets to spend more time here. None of us know how much time we get, or the folks we care so much for. Please make the time to give hugs and kisses, visits, trips, ect. Life can sure be a twisty stream and we never know what's around the next bend. I surely do appreciate you all thinking of me and value the good, kind, caring people you are. You're the best friends I've never met!

That's good news H. Everything happens in God's timing. He has the advantage of being omnipotent!

You know it's a small world even out here in internet land. My Aunt Evelyn went to her Lord in late January. Her kids had a beautiful celebration of her life last week in Elizabeth, CO. Her son said he only heard her say a bad word one time. That was when she got chased by a cow that was on the fight and had to jump into a full water tank to get away from her! Since she was just barely 5 foot tall, she got good and soaked. :)

Latest posts