• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sore footed cows

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I have 28 cows I bought in December. They have been close to the yard getting some hay while the rest of the cows have been rustling in the hills for grass. More of the bought cows have sore feet then all the rest of my cows.

What do you do for sore footed cows in the winter?

Well........... Here's a few thoughts from a hoof trimmer.......

Were these cows tender footed when you bought them or did they get sore later?? Frozen ground is hard for sore footed cows to walk on... Makes them even more sore.... Putting them on a bedding pack may make it a little easier for them to get around.. Do they have swelling in the foot like a foot rot?? Some times a change in ration like cause laminitis.. That generally doesn't show up for 4-6 weeks afterwords. Usually laminitis is caused by too much grain and not enough fiber..

If you bought them out of a salebarn they could have burnt them on the cement. There is one barn here that is bad for that. I think to many hotshots.

Aaron said:
Footrot is a possibility, even in winter. All it takes is a sharp stick or a twig with dirt on it.
+

My belief is that frozen cow turds are the main culprit for foot rot. Cow steps on one, splits the skin between toes, and you have an entry point for bacteria.If it is foot rot the whole joint will be infected and penicillin would be the drug of choice... Also want to make sure you salt is iodized.

jkvikefan said:
Aaron said:
Footrot is a possibility, even in winter. All it takes is a sharp stick or a twig with dirt on it.
+

My belief is that frozen cow turds are the main culprit for foot rot. Cow steps on one, splits the skin between toes, and you have an entry point for bacteria.If it is foot rot the whole joint will be infected and penicillin would be the drug of choice... Also want to make sure you salt is iodized.

That could be the case in BMR's situation. Whenever I encountered it, it was when I was feeding and wintering cows in the bush. Lots of rocks, saplings, branches and stumps to step on.

M.I.N.E.R.A.L. Listen to katrina.
Zinc in the mineral has a lot to do with the integrity of the hoof.
I realize you just bought these cows, chances are they weren't
on a good mineral program like your own cattle are, BMR.

You can add some zinc to the mineral and that will help.
Around here if we get a sore footed cow, we do nothing and she
gets over it by herself in a few days. We don't have hoofrot any more, just
about without exception. Whereas we used to get hoofrot and it
would go up the leg and into a joint. We've even had to cut toes
off cows because of hoofrot. Glad we don't have any reason to do
that any more.

And people think feeding mineral doesn't pay. :? :???:

Faster horses said:

gets over it by herself in a few days.
We don't have hoofrot any more, just
that any more.

Same here - and we don't use a fancy mineral program. If we get an odd one with a real foot problem it gets culled.

Even Hereford have foot trouble, how old are they, was the former keeper a cow corraler, and do they have corns.

We have swath grassed since 94, the best way of culling, if they don't walk, they go.

CA

canadian angus said:
Even Hereford have foot trouble, how old are they, was the former keeper a cow corraler, and do they have corns.

We have swath grassed since 94, the best way of culling, if they don't walk, they go.

CA

They are 2nd.3rd and 4th calvers. I would have thought they were ruslters but they wanted to stand by a board fence and I had to teach them to use a coulee.

They are a little bigger cows than my cows. I guess they just aren't as used to roughing it. :)

Faster horses said:

gets over it by herself in a few days. We don't have hoofrot any more, just
that any more.

I been havin a problem with my knees,quack said I just got kneesles,and it will pass,wonder if I got some vigortone and rubbed my ole knobby knees down real good if I could get shut of it ?
good luck

Latest posts