• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

sorry, but i gotta vent!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Our oldest grand daughter is due to take her drivers test too. All I can think of is, here we go again..... She is just the oldest of our twelve grandkids (so far!) and my prayer bones will get calluses for sure. :???:

I think most of us with kids have had a few car accidents. We are so thankful almost 4 years ago my stepson then almost 17 took our Toyota Landcruiser (whilst we were away) out onto the main road near our place and proceded to wreck it,he was unlicenced at the time. He was thrown from the vehicle,he had two young lady passengers,none of the three had their seatbelts fastened.
Despite him being unlicenced at the time our stupid road laws allowed him to go and get his licence when he turned seventeen two weeks later. He should have been not allowed to go for his licence for at least a year after the incident.
I've travelled with him once since that event,he has not learned from that experience,he is still an unsafe driver. He has had once accident since in his own car.
My stepdaughter has had 4 accidents,all due to speed,travelling too close behind vehicles in the city and not allowing for the level of skill of other drivers.
We thank god for their survival but wish they would learn before its too late.
Colin

My condolences to all of you on this subject. Especially those who have lost a child in an accident.

My one and only comment, I don't care if it is legal in your state or not, but 15 year olds have no business driving to school. sorry if you disagree, but as an ambulance driver, it is bad enough do those of legal age in this state, let alone someone with a permit.

Maybe your state is different, but I can't help but think that they would be safer on a school bus.

JMO

BTW, hello everyone. First time on this site since the change. Hope to stay on this site and away from the politics. But I wouldn't count on it. :wink:

the chief said:
My one and only comment, I don't care if it is legal in your state or not, but 15 year olds have no business driving to school. sorry if you disagree, but as an ambulance driver, it is bad enough do those of legal age in this state, let alone someone with a permit.

Maybe your state is different, but I can't help but think that they would be safer on a school bus.

Chief- I don't know where you are at, but in many areas out here you have to drive 5-10-20 miles to get to the school bus.... Bus's only run the main roads where their are several kids... Out of stater one time asked me why their were so many "broken down" vehicles parked on the highway approachs- when I figured out what he was talking about, it was all the vehicles that kids had driven to the highway to catch the bus...Some kids are 40 miles from the bus route and 60 miles from the school- some families have to buy or rent a "winter home" in town so mom can live with the kids during the week while they go to school- not many years ago some of the school districts maintained dormitories so the kids could spend the school week at......

As a past school board member I can assure you that education is not something that is taken for granted in this area.........Some have to sacrifice a lot to get it.......

Some kids are 40 miles from the bus route and 60 miles from the school

So how young can a child be in your state to allow them to drive 40 miles in a car to get to the bus?

I know of the sacrifices parents make to give their children a proper education, but I can't help but think that a 13-14 year old driving a car 40 miles could lead to a much bigger sacrifice.

Maybe I'd feel different if I were in your shoes.

Have a great day.
austin

Growing up in South Dakota I had a farm permit at twelve, (two week course) learners dusk to dawn at 14, and regular permit at 16, Was driving tractors and farm trucks before that, and could handle a semi fairly well some where in there. it was'nt a luxury it was a needed part of life. "(must not have had child labor laws when I was a kid)" :lol: :lol:

it is something that not only gives a person responsibility young but helps them learn under controlled supervision.

Where I now live the kids get to drive at 17 and a bit, depending on how they fit into the process and are soon 18 with little experiance, and no supervision. not a good formula. just about every parent I know is worried about thier child (young adult),

but to delay the learning process only puts inexperienced young adults in control of not only themselves but cars. And in less 18 year olds are differant in your state, I know of few 18 year olds. that will back down when you tell them they can't, when they want to..... but a 15 year old knows they have three years to listen to our lectures.......

What is the yearly number of road deaths in the US or Canada?
Here in our state last year 550 persons died a fifty year low. We used to be up near the 1100 mark in the eighties. Our countrys total would be about 1800 to 2,000 per year. We have 20 million population.Our roads are getting better.
I read somewhere recently that there are 36,000 deaths are year in South Africa.
Zero deaths would be great. Mechanical faults, natural disaster events or a health incident (black out heart attack etc) should be the only cause of accidents if everyone took care.
Driver reviver stops at holiday times have been a big help to ease fatigue related accidents.
Colin

Aussie Man.....i took a TNCC course last year and the number one cause of deaths in teenagers in the US was MVC's....very, unfortunate!!! so, help me out....what are the "driver revivers" you spoke of??? maybe they could be of help here in the states!!! Too often, fatigue sets in (as you know, especially in rural areas where the road stretches on forever before you reach your destination) and there is no relief! always welcoming suggestions that could save a life.....

"Driver reviver" stops are established in key positions along usually main highways,at the junction of highways etc. They are "Free" for the travelling public to stop and have a cup of tea or coffee and some biscuits. They are run usually by Rotary,Apex or State Emergency groups whoever wants to,or sometimes they all get together.
These stops are usually about every two hours apart as this is the duration that our motor vehicle organizations advise that we change drivers or have a break.
These stops are in operation at holiday times,long weekends etc.
They operate day and night but some of the smaller stops only open at night.
They allow travellers to learn some things about each area as they travel through.
Any other questions just give me a coo ee!

Colin

It's hard to do, but make the kids live up to what they put themselves into. In other words, tough love. Easy to say, hard to do. No second chances no nothing. They get to pay for the damages, if the auto is totalled, they pay it off and get a new one on their own. DON'T co-sign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!:

Latest posts