• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sorry to ask for your help again.. Please help. need opinion

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
Well, I am doing an opinion essay on Angus Cattle... my Favourite!! What does everyone think about them? What are some pluses and some minuses of this breed in your opinion.

ACS, you're askin' a Hereford man for opinions on Angus? I can see this thread could ending up like a Ford vs Chevy discussion! Well, here goes! :evil: :twisted: :D

First off, did you specify Black or Red Angus or does color matter? I do have black Angus along with my Herefords so that is the only breed I have experience to compare them against. Pros of Angus IMO include no horns, superior maternal and milking ability. Cons can include too much maternal abilities! :lol:

The CAB program has done a lot to advance the Angus breed to where it is so popular today. The Hereford breed was asleep at the switch and is playing catchup with their CHB program.

IMO, the ideal cow is the F1 black or red baldy cow which combines the polled head and maternal and milking abilities of the Angus with the disposition, easy keeping, and longevity of the Hereford. Breeding this cow to a terminal Continental sire (Charolais, Gelbvieh, Limousin, etc) will produce the most optimum weaning weight calf at least cost by fully taking advantage of hybrid vigor.

Somebody somewhere has to raise the straight bred English breeds (Hereford, Angus, can't forget Shorthorn either) and Continental cattle to to keep up the 3-way crossbreeding process. There are good and poor cattle in every breed. Raise the good kind of the breed you prefer and they will be in demand.

We have Angus/Gelbvieh cross mother cows. Works the best for us, the angus keeps the size of the Gelbviehs down, still have great rib-eyes and get the marbling. AVOID Lucy's Boy & EXT. They are MEAN.

ACS,

They also have outstanding Carcass traits. In the Pacific NW, Marbling is the premium paid for carcass. This has resulted in buyers paying more for black-hided cattle and Cowmen paying more for Black Bulls. So getting tied into the Angus Breed tends to help you belong to a great marketing program.

I would say that disposition can be a problem, unless you have some 6I6 calves...Dang they are gentle....

Also, most chicks think there's nothing sexier than an Angus guy, LOL......Besides, if you are sitting there on the first date, waiting for a ranchers daughter, being able to say, "I have some nice angus bulls I sell for $5,000 each.".....Well that's gotta be a good ice breaker and maybe gets his thumb off the knife scabbard, LOL,

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Most folks actually think I am a good influence on the young men I am around, but I can't help teasing them a little,

PPRM

LOL! I don't have any bulls yet though... all heifers. Well, will have another one in a week, and one in 10 days... One is out of TTAR Platinum, and the other is out of Crescent Creek Quantum 79M. Hope these are bulls.

Once you go black you'll never go back. :lol:

They are probably the most trouble-free cattle of all.
Less problems with pink-eye, bad bags and even some diseases.

No dehorning. Usually have smaller, more vigorous calves.
Make great mothers, though you don't want them to be
exceptionally good... :p

Good weaning wieights and feeders still seek straightbred angus calves for carcass quality and the heifers are worth a premium.

PPRM said:
ACS,
I would say that disposition can be a problem, unless you have some 6I6 calves...Dang they are gentle....
PPRM

Their a good 10 yearsand in some cases 20 years a head of other Breeds in Herd Inprovement - the Assocition started HI Progrems in the 50's and other breeds have been playing catch-up ever science

Their Disposition is one of thier good points for me. Cowboy them and your in for trouble but a Good Hand can work them at easy.

They will sure teach a dog to slow down and work - "Push" - firm but easy. Show me a man or dog that can work Angus quitly and it's a man/dog that can work any breed.

Angus Cattle Shower, Everyone who has replied is correct. When you strip it all down the word that comes to mind is marketability. Whatever genetic line within the breed you choose, there is always a market for said animal.

ACS, something I meant to say in my first post about the title of your post is don't apologize for asking question or opinions from others. Being open to new ideas and asking questions the only way to learn new or better ways of doing things. Gotta balance that with the old adage of don't be so open minded that your brains fall out! :lol: At your age you have an advantage over us old folks who are stubborn and set in our ways! It's harder for us to ask questions and learn new things.

Your thread brought to mind Soapweed's philosophy of moderation in all things. Especially in the cattle business a lot of breeds have been almost ruined by excessive concentration on one trait at the expense of others. Like when breeders started concentrating on growth traits and didn't pay attention to birth weights. The only profitable calf is a live calf.

Angus Breeder brought up a good point. In a nutshell, a cows basic job is to harvest grass and turn that grass into a marketable calf. And do it without excessive supplemental feed or supervision from her owner. To do that she needs to be able to calve by herself, mother up with her calf on her own, graze and produce enough milk to feed her calf while keeping herself in condition to rebreed in a timely fashion.

It was just that this year I asked for help on 4 or 5 projects so far.

There are so many positives of the Angus breed, but the only minus was off of a seperate bloodline. What are some things that you do not like?

ACS- The very, very first thing I ever figured out about Angus was that they are kickers ( for reference you might refer to your school poem) and that they are much more miserable when cornered than Herefords!! I think I was about 7 when I formed this opinion and even tho I raise both I have to say the opinion has stayed true! :lol: :lol: :nod:

Ahh but me wee cowsense i dinna ken see a reason to be milking out me wee angus beasties nooot like them hairfurd with their bloody swollen teats lol.

NR; :lol: :lol: We weren't milking them just trying to get ready for 4H.....the neighbour had some mean calves!!! Oh BTW you can cull on udder quality and you "dinna" need to put up with a bad uddered cow of any color!! MacDonald's needs fresh burger every day! :lol:

Northern Rancher said:
Ahh but me wee cowsense i dinna ken see a reason to be milking out me wee angus beasties nooot like them hairfurd with their bloody swollen teats lol.

Good point, Groundskeeper Willy! :wink:

cowsense said:
ACS- The very, very first thing I ever figured out about Angus was that they are kickers ( for reference you might refer to your school poem) and that they are much more miserable when cornered than Herefords!! I think I was about 7 when I formed this opinion and even tho I raise both I have to say the opinion has stayed true! :lol: :lol: :nod:

Oh no, that was one of Dad's Simmie crosses... Crossed with hereford! That part of the poem is true.

OD NT,

When I was mentioning disposition, it was because I was wondering to myself, "If I culled an angus, what would it be that would tend to make me choose to do so." The majority are fine and I like a little life in my cattle. The ones that I have culled are ones that are quick to leave the bunch and head for the nearest fence to jump. It isn't the majority, just the select few. I guess the ones that act like range raised Salers, those go to the sale. The rest, I Love em,

PPRM

Latest posts