• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sorting heavies

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
The weather is supposed to turn much colder in a day or two, so we are trying to get heavies sorted and located near the home corrals for easier watching. Here are a few pictures of the day.

Roundingupcowstosortheavies.jpg

Rounding up cows to sort the heavies
SaddletrampandWyatt.jpg

Saddletramp and Wyatt
Bovinesandbuckaroo.jpg

Bovines and buckaroo
Headingtheheaviesforhome.jpg

Heading the heavies for home
Viewofthemeadow.jpg

View of the meadow
Heifersandhorsemaninthewaninglighto.jpg

Heifers and horseman in the waning light
Ladegardhomesteadinthebackground.jpg

Ladegard homestead in the background

Looks like you picked a good day to get that job done, according to the weather you might be on the edge of it. Just hoping mine wait until after it clears off before they start dropping, should have 2 weeks to go but with this big change coming who knows

Soapweed,

It is really suppose to get nasty up here as well. Tonight we are getting some snow then it is supposed to reach 32F by morning and start to fall in the afternoon. Could be down to the -30F by tomorrow night then we are in the deep freeze from then til the weekend at least. Highs of -20 and lows of -30. We ve got 60 calves on the ground and lots more to come so I guess Ill be putting in long hours at the office. :wink: Good thing we have a heated calving barn.

I sure hope Mother nature is not too hard on you guys, I'll sit here by the fire and try to stay warm for you all. :wink:

Nice pic's and nice weather. One of my ropin' heifers had a baby a day ago, so me and mama rode up and brought him and his mama in and an older cow who needs a little tlc. I'll feed some hay again. Man! This will be like the 3rd time I've had to feed them cows some hay this winter! :shock: :eek: :lol:

Naw, I ain'r complainin'. 'Bout time we finally got some winter. Sure hope i don't get any more of them calf surprizes. They just might not weather it so well!

This heifer must have got bred about the time I got her. Pretty early maturing for a longhorn x corriente. She sure ain't got much of a bag, but the little feller is buckin' and doin' good. She and him lead the cows home today. 'Course, the wind might have been blowin' them as we was goin' downwind the whole way. :wink:

I know people can get used to weather - - - but I'm glad I don't need to get used to those temps.

I have a couple of cows looking heavy and the bull didn't get turned in till the 4th of July so I'm thinking twins a couple of weeks early.

We had two days of winter last weekend but back into the mid 50s again today with two days of rain forcast so the mud continues.

nice pictures looks like a good day to be horseback

weather has already starting to go bad here the north wind started blowing about five and the temperature has dropped twenty five degrees since. Hope it gets it out of its system as the heifers start calving this weekend

:shock: Just shows how crazy Nebraska weather can be 40 something yeasterday and a winter storm watch and snow tonight. :shock: Plus baby calves making appearances.

Nah.. He's insuinating (sp?) too much frozen Northern recreation, or the perception thereof...

That just made me think of the first time time I ever saw line dancing-it was in a little bar in Nebraska and the gals doing it had wintered pretty good-they almost shook an elk head off the wall but it was all in fun

With that good help you got,looks like you got em headed home,when do yall start greening up in Nebraska? March is windy down here but grasses start greening,usually get a lil rain,and we plant hay April fools day :D ...............good luck

Northern Rancher said:
That just made me think of the first time time I ever saw line dancing-it was in a little bar in Nebraska and the gals doing it had wintered pretty good-they almost shook an elk head off the wall but it was all in fun

That is pretty funny. Quite a few years ago, at an installation of officers, the honorees were marching around in step, and the hall really got to rockin' and rollin'. :) Guess that is the reason when soldiers are marching down a road and come to a bridge, they are told to walk across in free step. There is a lot less stress on the bridge doing it that way.

:? Nebraska girls that wintered well is that ones that weren't out freezing their butts off chopping ice, opening gates, pairing out, pushing cattle down the chute in sub zero temperatures, and then having to come in and cook dinner for the crew?

Latest posts