• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sorting heavy cows so we can watch them better

Help Support Ranchers.net:

katrina said:
Some of the best cowboys I know don't sort ahorseback. It's what works the best. We get alot of moiture and it's two slick to sort ahorseback. And sometimes it just easier to sort on foot.

Maybe those who do it afoot can't do as well ahorseback and maybe those others who prefer to do it a horseback are like me and are waaayyyy handier on a horse than afoot! And I ain't that shiney on a horse neither! :oops:
:shock:

:cry:

:wink:

PS A good tool should be kept sharp as it makes the job go eaiser and a horse is a tool and won't get sharp if he ain't being used. :wink:

Sortin afoot........I learned in a feedlot it was a good way to get run over, lol,

PPRM

Oldtimer said:
RoperAB said:
Denny said:
Truck Driver's wear hat's and boot's also.

LOL So do Nashville Country Singers. I guess its a uniform?
But what im say is why bother doing it at all if your going to do it this way? I just cant see how they can get any satisfaction out of it.

Sometimes you get enough "satisfaction" over the years :wink: -- I've spent years of tying cows to a post to pull a calf-or try to get one to suck.. last 10 years been using my old home built headgate with side release and its getting old enough that I've had about enough cowboy "satisfaction"...Keep telling myself to pick up the phone and have them haul in one of those maternity pens...

LOL I would rather chase cows than fix a fence!

katrina said:
Some of the best cowboys I know don't sort ahorseback. It's what works the best. We get alot of moiture and it's two slick to sort ahorseback. And sometimes it just easier to sort on foot.
If you dont ride them in ice, snow or mud they never get good at it.

Back when we still calved quite a few cows, I would have a horse standing in a stall, day and night. I of course switched horses morning and night. :lol:

Anyway, when ever I had to do something with a cow, if it wasn't handy to do it afoot, all I had to do was get on my horse. Like if I had a cow that was being "difficult" to pen and showed no respect to a man afoot, I could get on a horse and pen her easy.

I think some people either don't understand or maybe forget, that a man on a horse is higher up and a lot bigger, so can more easily handle a cow who is bigger than a person on foot and probably can run faster.

As far as people who use a four wheeler and wear baseball caps, whatever works for someone, ought to be fine, as long as it doesn't cause you any grief. Shoot, some people want to use a calf table and some want to rope and drag and some want to head and heel, to brand calves. Whatever works for the people involved, should be the main criteria and there are so few of us, that we probably shouldn't be putting down someone else, who does things different than we do. You can learn something from anyone, even if it's just that you don't want to do it the way that person does a particular job! :lol:

This old world would sure be boring if we all did everything the same way. :wink:

Jinglebob said:
Back when we still calved quite a few cows, I would have a horse standing in a stall, day and night. I of course switched horses morning and night. :lol:

Anyway, when ever I had to do something with a cow, if it wasn't handy to do it afoot, all I had to do was get on my horse. Like if I had a cow that was being "difficult" to pen and showed no respect to a man afoot, I could get on a horse and pen her easy.

I think some people either don't understand or maybe forget, that a man on a horse is higher up and a lot bigger, so can more easily handle a cow who is bigger than a person on foot and probably can run faster.

way. :wink:

Most of the time I never bothered to saddle up. Checked cows 24/7 bareback with a halter. Even at night with a flashlight. Warmer bareback. Plus a good horse I think can smell a cow and help you find them. The cow that was going to calve would most likely do it on a stormy night and would always for the most part hide somewhere in the brush where you would never see her if you where checking in a truck.

Having a good horse saddled and ready to go is a good idea, usually when ther're needed time is of the essance. Cows figure out how to out manuver a four wheeler/pickup and flat out run a person on foot if they have room to get away. I've went out to bring cows to the barn and sometimes just catch and snub them right there to the horse to work on if they won't/can't travel, as long as somebody can bring the calf puller out to me if its needed. I've pulled several with the horse that were hip locked or what ever just sneak up slowly behind them and hook up with out spooking them. Lots of times cows will just get to the corral gate and balk and turn back, a good horse and rope can help make up their mind for them. Less distubance than chasing around/though herd. Pulling a calf sled in works pretty slick using the horse too. Having a horse sharp shod makes things safe on slick groung for all involved too. No hot rodding or cutting, just keep seprate if horse mean to others a kick is nasty.

just my opinions

RoperAB said:
Most of the time I never bothered to saddle up. Checked cows 24/7 bareback with a halter. Even at night with a flashlight. Warmer bareback. Plus a good horse I think can smell a cow and help you find them. The cow that was going to calve would most likely do it on a stormy night and would always for the most part hide somewhere in the brush where you would never see her if you where checking in a truck.

I used to ride bareback too. And your right, it is warmer! Only problem, what if you've got to rope one. Same problem with motorcyle or 4 wheeler, where do you dally the rope? Especially bareback! :shock: Ouch! That could hurt!:lol:

Jinglebob said:
RoperAB said:

I used to ride bareback too. And your right, it is warmer! Only problem, what if you've got to rope one. Same problem with motorcyle or 4 wheeler, where do you dally the rope? Especially bareback! :shock: Ouch! That could hurt!:lol:

The place I was calveing at was only a quarter section so if something needed to be roped it was no big deal to go back and saddle up.
Most of the time it wasnt worth saddling because it only took a half hour or hour to check. Then go home and do something else until it was time to check again.
Really I never had much luck roping a full grown cow to haze or try to drag her into a corral. Like unless you rope them when they are running and keep them running you cant really get them in a corral if they dont want to go. So when they are calving you dont want to run them or stress them out to much.
Some of them you can get into a corral fairly easy without roping but if its a snuffy one I found it better to queitly rope and tie them to a tree if I had to pull a calf. Really this can be done without a saddle. Plus them snuffy ones are usually the ones that never have any trouble calving.
If a cow has already calved and needs to be run in a corral and doctored. Well I could just saddle up and do her on the next ride.

Latest posts