• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

"Sound Science"- Give Consumers the Choice

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Bill said:
A couple of others, where was the May 2003 BSE case born and how many post feedban born cattle were there?

Bill this is from the CFIA website:

So far three of the four BSE cases attributed to Canada were born in the Province of Alberta while the other was born just over the border in Saskatchewan. Alberta has a small number of rendering facilities that have historically processed dead stock and non-edible materials derived at slaughter. It is possible that the BSE-agent may have entered the animal feed chain and was subsequently confined to a somewhat geographically-restricted area around Alberta and Saskatchewan. However, while such a possibility is subject to ongoing investigations, it is highly speculative and it is far too premature to draw any conclusions.
-------------------------------------------

This is the "cluster area" that some scientists think should have been quarantined, with everything being slaughtered from that area being tested to find the true extent of the disease....

In hindsight- with the US exports being closed to the Japanese for 2 years and it still unknown what the acceptance of US beef will be and with the Canadian border closed since May 2003 and still closed to OTM, which may not be reopened for a year or years- testing may have also been the economical way to go....

It definitely seems like the billions that were paid in BSE subsidies in Canada would have been better spent testing all these cattle rather than giving the Packers a windfall.....

The EU rules for BSE testing include requirements that no OTM bovine may be allowed into the food supply unless it has tested negative for BSE and that all parts of any test-positive animals must be disposed of as SRM. BSE testing already operates in the UK for OTM cattle entering the food supply under BAS and for disease surveillance purposes.

Given the testing experience in the US, would you rather SRM's be removed, or left to be marketed on OTM animals? Given the test shows the carcass "free" of BSE?

As Ranchers that suggest tests are warranted on UTM's, are you willing to pay the costs before your animal is marketed?

Murgen said:
The EU rules for BSE testing include requirements that no OTM bovine may be allowed into the food supply unless it has tested negative for BSE and that all parts of any test-positive animals must be disposed of as SRM. BSE testing already operates in the UK for OTM cattle entering the food supply under BAS and for disease surveillance purposes.

Given the testing experience in the US, would you rather SRM's be removed, or left to be marketed on OTM animals? Given the test shows the carcass "free" of BSE?

As Ranchers that suggest tests are warranted on UTM's, are you willing to pay the costs before your animal is marketed?

Nothing wrong with testing if the right test is used. The coneheads at the USDA are about 5-6 light years behind in testing technology.

They are still living in the days of the "Gold Standard"! :???: IHC

Murgen said:

I might be wrong, but I don't think you read that right, Murgen. The way I understand it, ALL SRMs (OTM & UTM)are removed, and if an animal tests positive, all of it gets tossed in the SRM pile.

If I was positive the USDA was doing all they could to find BSE, I would say the SRM's can stay. However, their track record is suspect.

I think your other question incorrectly assumes ALL UTMs would be tested. I don't think anybody here is asking that. If people had the choice to buy tested beef from a UTM animal, I think they could be expected to pay the penny extra. If they don't like the cost, they can buy the non-tested beef or some dog-food like chicken or fish. There shouldn't be any additional costs passed to the producer if consumers had a choice and testing UTM was simply an option for a niche market.

Sandhusker, I read this as meaning, they test and if positive, they then remove the SRM's, not both, unless positive!

I like the North American system better so far!

What would the US do, in this case. Test negative and then have a recall later, when the proper test is used?

Or remove SRM's and reduce the chances!

Murgen said:
Sandhusker, I read this as meaning, they test and if positive, they then remove the SRM's, not both, unless positive!

I like the North American system better so far!

What would the US do, in this case. Test negative and then have a recall later, when the proper test is used?

Or remove SRM's and reduce the chances!

We need a ruling. Judge!

The USDA would test and if positive, retest and retest until they get a negative. They would then wait, and if Phyllis Fong had any gumption after getting barked at for doing her job the last time, she would expose them. If Fong has been properly dressed down, she will turn a blind eye and let the boys keep their cash flow moving as planned. If they have any doubt what to do, their AMI handlers will let them know.

Oldtimer said:
Bill said:
A couple of others, where was the May 2003 BSE case born and how many post feedban born cattle were there?

So far three of the four BSE cases attributed to Canada were born in the Province of Alberta while the other was born just over the border in Saskatchewan. Alberta has a small number of rendering facilities that have historically processed dead stock and non-edible materials derived at slaughter. It is possible that the BSE-agent may have entered the animal feed chain and was subsequently confined to a somewhat geographically-restricted area around Alberta and Saskatchewan. However, while such a possibility is subject to ongoing investigations, it is highly speculative and it is far too premature to draw any conclusions.

This is the "cluster area" that some scientists think should have been quarantined, with everything being slaughtered from that area being tested to find the true extent of the disease....

In hindsight- with the US exports being closed to the Japanese for 2 years and it still unknown what the acceptance of US beef will be and with the Canadian border closed since May 2003 and still closed to OTM, which may not be reopened for a year or years- testing may have also been the economical way to go....

It definitely seems like the billions that were paid in BSE subsidies in Canada would have been better spent testing all these cattle rather than giving the Packers a windfall.....
So they weren't all born in Alberta.

One question down, two left unanswered.
OT, are still standing by your organizations' statements that North American beef is unsafe?

How many post feedban born cattle were there that tested positive?
When you say cattle I am assuming there was more than one?

One more question.
What scientists? Certainly not the OIE scientists. R-Calf maybe?

Bill said:
Oldtimer said:
Bill said:

OT, are still standing by your organizations' statements that North American beef is unsafe?

I believe Canadian beef and cattle have yet to be proven safe- since the extent of the disease in the cluster area is unknown......

My wording mistake- I believe there has been one that was post feedban- one of the last found.......

One more question.
What scientists? Certainly not the OIE scientists. R-Calf maybe?

As far as I know they are independent scientists- several of their writings have been posted in the past couple years...It appears from the CFIA website that they even accept the cluster theory- and I agree with them that it is premature to assume anything, including the safety of Canadian beef....[/
quote]

I believe Canadian beef and cattle have yet to be proven safe- since the extent of the disease in the cluster area is unknown......

Would this be like the cluster of positives and the "questionables" in Texas?

Murgen said:

Would this be like the cluster of positives and the "questionables" in Texas?

Your Packers didn't pay off the CFIA as well as ours did the USDA :wink:

Oldtimer said:
Bill said:
Oldtimer said:

I believe Canadian beef and cattle have yet to be proven safe- since the extent of the disease in the cluster area is unknown...... [b]Thousands of cattle have been tested from what you call a cluster area starting in May 2003. No epedemic has been found. [/b]
My wording mistake- I believe there has been one that was post feedban- one of the last found....... Yes there has been one and only one.

One more question.
What scientists? Certainly not the OIE scientists. R-Calf maybe enough said- several of their writings have been posted in the past couple years...It appears from the CFIA website that they even accept the cluster theory- and I agree with them that it is premature to assume anything, including the safety of Canadian beef....[/[/b]quote]
Thanks Oldtimer, just needed to clarify a few things.

Latest posts