• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Southern Peas

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
IMG_1778.jpg

jodywy said:
got em shelled yet???

I do. That's the sheller (the green thing) just to the left of the pile. I think I shelled about 70 bushels Fri., Sat., and this afternoon.

The "Cream" peas won't start getting picked until about Thursday of this week. Not quite ready.

Cows been having fun fighting over the hulls too. :wink:

Is it true there is no comparison between the fresh ones and the canned ones?

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Very much true. You wouldn't know that you were even eating the same thing.

The one's in cans have been dried...and then cooked. Fresh one's are wayyyyyyyyy better.

From what I understand, the "Margaret Holmes" company cans fresh peas and vegetables.

Still not the same though. Nothing like taking them out of the sheller, going right in the pressure cooker then to the plate.

Mike....I've only cooked peas in a pressure cooker (to eat right away and not already in jars) once. My FIL came in while I was cooking them. He asked.."Whats in the pot?" I told him. And he about had a fit at me. His mama was doin the same thing one time and the pressure cooker blew up. Because the skins of the peas got stuck up in the top in the little hole that air escapes from. So I've never cooked peas in my pressure cooker again.

I don't cook them in the PC that long. I get the pressure up a little and cut the fire off for at least an hour before eating.

Then about 5 minutes before supper take the PC lid off and reheat a little.

They be done.

I planted close to 3 acres this year thinking it would be enough for me and the deer. I have picked about 6 buckets full all year and had to find them in places where the pigweed out grew the peas. Somebody needs to spray for deer. They are getting bad.
Good looking "Top Pick" Peas?

alabama said:
I planted close to 3 acres this year thinking it would be enough for me and the deer. I have picked about 6 buckets full all year and had to find them in places where the pigweed out grew the peas. Somebody needs to spray for deer. They are getting bad.
Good looking "Top Pick" Peas?

Those are Top Picks. Started picking the Texas Cream 40's today but they're not turing out well. Got orders for about 50-60 bushels and they just ain't gonna be there. Quit raining before they started blooming and is still dry.

The one's in cans have been dried...and then cooked. Fresh one's are wayyyyyyyyy better.

Lilly...when my wife shells peas, when finished she just puts them all in an old pillow case and into the freezer without washing them or anything. When you're ready for "mess of peas" just open the bag, scoop out the peas you want and cook like they were fresh picked. By not washing them they don't freeze and stick together and do not freezer burn. Try it sometimes. :wink:

I've frozen them in paper sacks without washing them. They don't freezer burn...but they will freeze dry if left more than one season. But they still cook up and taste just like you just picked em even when freeze dried. LOL

TexasBred said:

Lilly...when my wife shells peas, when finished she just puts them all in an old pillow case and into the freezer without washing them or anything. When you're ready for "mess of peas" just open the bag, scoop out the peas you want and cook like they were fresh picked. By not washing them they don't freeze and stick together and do not freezer burn. Try it sometimes. :wink:

That does work good. I use a brown paper sack also.

Puttin up Texas Cream 40's as we speak.

Latest posts