• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Southwestern Ohio here- Looking to get a couple cattle for beef/4H

Help Support Ranchers.net:

presta24

Reaction score
Good morning. We are discussing getting my 11 yr old daughter into 4H. We would like to raise a beef cow for us, and one for my daughter to raise and sell for meat, not show. We have 6 acers. But want to keep the cattle in the back of the property. It looks like I can fence off about 1.75 acres with out sacrificing garden space. Was looking for info on if this is enough for 2 cows. I've read about an acer a pc is rule of thumb. Also trying to figure out which fence to go with. Simple field/cattle fence, or so a 5 wire barbed wire fence. I appreciate any info!

Reach out to the 4H extension office near you. They can give you local information that will more better suit your needs. My part of the country needs over 200 acres per cow so my advice is worthless to ya. But welcome to ranchers. And good luck and I hope the beef project is a great learning experience and a success!!!

If you are looking for general information on line. I would advise you to look at Cattle Today. There are people who log on there from your part of the world. The more local the information you can gather the more relevant it will tend to be. There should be a cooperative extension office in your county that has a person in charge of 4H. That would be your best source of information to start out.

Yep, just as others have posted, check with your extension agent, I might suggest with a small operation and pasture, consider electric fencing since it is easily moved. For a small operation, rotating two small pastures is better than just one all the time.

Yep, just as others have posted, check with your extension agent, I might suggest with a small operation and pasture, consider electric fencing since it is easily moved. For a small operation, rotating two small pastures is better than just one all the time.
MC is correct, use a good energizer and 2 lines of 6 strand hot wire on poly post. I use this stuff almost exclusively to rotate cows.

Latest posts