• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Soy vs. meat

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tommy

Reaction score
Soy vs. meat

Consumers Encouraged to Avoid Replacing All Meat Products with All Soy Products

Helen Bishop-MacDonald - Independent Nutrition Consultant

Farmscape for February 2, 2006 (Episode 2050)

In the wake of new research which casts doubt on many of the health claims associated with soy products, an Ottawa based nutrition consultant is advising consumers to avoid a wholesale switch away from animal based food products.

For a long time various claims have been made about the health benefits of soy based products but the latest research has determined there is no evidence to suggest soy will reduce the risk of heart disease, the symptoms of menopause, the risk of osteoporosis or the risk of Cancer.

Helen Bishop-MacDonald, with Nutrisphere, says, from a strictly nutritional point of view, eliminating one food from the diet and replacing it with another can be risky.

I think what we're seeing here is a massive experiment where millions of people are maybe switching to a food which is not traditional in our culture and that needs to be highlighted as well.

When you look at Asian cultures where soy has been part of their diet for centuries that is one issue but, if you parachute a food into a culture that's not habituated to it and then have it replace other foods, then you can't count on what's going to happen.

People thinking they'll substitute soy for meat for example or soy beverage for milk is unwarranted because it does not contain the same nutrients.

Having some tofu occasionally is no big deal but I am concerned when people reject foods of animal origin and embrace soy products in their stead.

They need to get guidance from a dietitian or certainly read up on it and take the appropriate supplements to replace what they've lost.

Bishop MacDonald says people need to be particularly careful of their mineral intake, especially nutrients like iron, zinc and even copper, if they are choosing to have soy products instead of foods of animal origin.

It is pure folley to replace ANY meat products (especially beef) with soy products..............especially if good health means anything to you.

I don't know that I'd go that far.
Afterall, 7th Day Adventists (a Christian denomination famous for being almost entirely vegetarian/vegan) have long been studied as some of the most healthy Americans...
And while Stripples aren't bacon by any stretch of the imagination, a lifetime vegetarian usually likes them. :wink:

Hired Girl,

You are just the one I am looking for.....if you belive the 7th day stuff.........have I got a deal for you.........

Want to buy some prime property???

Think I can help you out.

Sorry about the previous remark......just tend to get upset when people believe untruths or at the very least.....half truths about beef, health etc.

Here is some relevant info....taken from the Weston Price website...

Do vegetarians live longer than meat eaters?

Since we're talking about vegetarianism, let's examine the claim that vegetarians live longer than meat eaters. The late Dr. Russell Smith, who was a statistician, took a close look at the studies purporting to show that vegetarianism was a healthier life-style.25 In a review of some 3,000 articles in the scientific literature, he found only two that compared mortality data for vegetarians and nonvegetarians. One was a 1978 study of Seventh Day Adventists (SDA's). Although published analyses of this study claim that it showed that the vegetarians lived longer, Smith's analysis of total mortality rates as a function of the frequencies of consuming cheese, meat, milk, eggs and fat attached to meat found that the total death rate decreased as the frequencies of consuming cheese, eggs, meat and milk increased.

The second study was published by Burr and Sweetnam in 1982.26. Once again, although the authors claim that their study showed that vegetarians lived longer, Smith found quite the opposite when he looked carefully at the hard data. He found that the all-cause death rates were slightly greater for vegetarian men compared to nonvegetarian men; and significantly greater for vegetarian women compared to nonvegetarian women.

Vegetarians never mention a study by Dr. Emmanuel Cheraskin who surveyed 1040 dentists and their wives. Those who had the fewest problems and diseases as measured by the Cornell Medical Index had the most protein in their diets.27 Yet almost all the treatments for chronic disease found in alternative publications these days begin with the recommendation of a vegetarian diet. Typical is an article by a Dr. Brodie that appeared in Issue #13 of Alternative Medicine Digest, published by Burton Goldberg.28 Dr. Brodie recommends a "balanced vegetarian diet" of raw fruits and vegetables, whole grains and beans with no "refined sugars, red meat, caffeine and chemically preserved foods." This is truly guilt by association!

But wait! In order to get well, Dr. Brodie recommends certain supplements including vitamin A, vitamin B6, thymus extracts, zinc, cysteine, and bovine cartilage, all of which are largely absent in plant foods and plentifully available in beef! At least they are available if you are eating the whole animal as our ancestors did—meat, organs, cartilage, bones and fat.

Actually, if you'll look again, I said "long been studied". The 1978 one is hardly the be all and end all... And, if you'll note, it doesn't refute my point of health. (you didn't say anything about longevity, remember?) You said you need meat to be healthy. I simply pointed out that's BS since SDA's have long been considered one of the healthiest populations in the US. Even without meat.

Meat is tasty, and can easily be part of a healthy diet. It's also an easy way to get vital nutrients.
But that's a long way from saying one needs meat in order to be healthy. One needs the nutrients and fats found in meat, but they are also found in other sources.

Saying that it's impossible to be healthy without meat is just as unrealistic as saying it's impossible to be healthy and eat meat.

I stand by my original statement........."It is pure folley to replace ANY meat products (especially beef) with soy products..............especially if good health means anything to you."

Why would any knowledgeable person replace a proven nutrient dense, healthful source (beef, meat) with a proven unhealthy source (soy) of questionable nutrients?

Soy is a great crop.......and should be utilized for it's real value (fuel for machines and equipment) rather than for human food.

A good friend of mine is a vegetarian. She grew up on a Nebraska ranch (that her brother currently runs). Since about the age of 14, she says she can't eat anything with a face. :)
Instead she drinks milk, eats eggs, and happens to like soy burgers.
Shoot, I like soyburgers now and again and I have a freezer full of home-grown beef!

She is perfectly healthy and I respect her right to eat as she wishes, just as she respects mine.

Most vegetarians don't try to replace meat with soy products, btw. It's just another option in their diet, just like anyone else's.

theHiredMansWife said:
A good friend of mine is a vegetarian. She grew up on a Nebraska ranch (that her brother currently runs). Since about the age of 14, she says she can't eat anything with a face. :)
Instead she drinks milk, eats eggs, and happens to like soy burgers.
Shoot, I like soyburgers now and again and I have a freezer full of home-grown beef!

She is perfectly healthy and I respect her right to eat as she wishes, just as she respects mine.

Most vegetarians don't try to replace meat with soy products, btw. It's just another option in their diet, just like anyone else's.

Interesting posts!

I can agree that individually respecting one anothers' rights to eat as we wish is fine.

What I can't agree with is an organizational or instututional push to paint eating animal proteins as not healthful.

It does happen, and often with less than top-notch studies quoted as support.

MRJ

Latest posts