• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

speakin' of cooking tips...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sierraman

Reaction score
Speakin' of cooking tips, anybody know how to cook rice to be sure it will absolutely not be gummy and bunched together?

sierraman....gotta fess up!! I cheat and use Minute Rice :oops: :oops: :wink: not much chance there of blowing it!! works real good in rice pudding :D

Let's start with one cup of rice and one and one half cups of water.

You want more - increase each amount equally.

Place water in pot - add one half teaspoon of salt - you can do without this if you avoid salt due to health reasons. Stove on highest heat.

Water starts to boil - dump in the rice. Stir to prevent from sticking to pot bottom. About three swipes with a spoon is all you need.

Wait about one minute - and reduce heat to medium - put lid on pot and cook for about 15 minutes. NO PEEKING!! Leave the lid alone!! Let it rattle on the top of the pot.

About 10 minutes into this I turn the stove off and let the residul heat do the work.

At around the 15 minute mark I take it off of the stove and remove the lid. Take it out of the pot right away and put it in a serving bowl - or like me - straight on to the plate.

Add your favourite condiments and eat!

B.C.

Sierraman said:
Speakin' of cooking tips, anybody know how to cook rice to be sure it will absolutely not be gummy and bunched together?

That's the way I like it! I use a rice cooker and dip it out in "hunks".

I use cheap rice and just guess at the water and rice. If you cook as above it will work if you add a little butter and salt. If it is too wet just cook a little longer with the top off till it gets just like you want it.
I was raised with rice on the table every day and I learned to eat it with most everthing. Even those cursaded big dried butter beans that are as big as you big toe and you have cut em with your fork to get em in your mouth. But the best is fresh stewed tomatos served over rice with some sort of pepper and a hint of viniger with a big pan of thin cornbred cooked on top of the stove. My mother called it hoe cake. It is like cornbred that you cook in the oven but it don't rise and it has no egg in it. Just buttermilk and corn meal. cook on one side till it almost burnes and then turn it over and over till done in the middle.
O yeah, and a big tall glase of unsweet tea that is almost all ice with a big pitcher or tea on the table to fill her back up.

My family was from the South (Missouri) and we always had a lot of cornbread. My mother fixed it a little differently than I have eaten other places. She put a cast iron skillet on the stove with bacon grease and got it REALLY hot. Then she put the cornbread batter in and baked it in the oven. It always had a real crispy crust. YUM-M-M-M-M.

I gotta go find me something to eat I was doing fine till Bama and faster horse started talkin bout that corn bread.....................good luck

Faster horses said:
My family was from the South (Missouri) and we always had a lot of cornbread. My mother fixed it a little differently than I have eaten other places. She put a cast iron skillet on the stove with bacon grease and got it REALLY hot. Then she put the cornbread batter in and baked it in the oven. It always had a real crispy crust. YUM-M-M-M-M.

THATS the way I make it. Crunchy on the outside, soft and fluffy in the middle. Ever had it with cracklins in it?

HAY MAKER said:
I gotta go find me something to eat I was doing fine till Bama and faster horse started talkin bout that corn bread.....................good luck

ME TOOOO!!!! :roll: :roll: Guess my diet will have to start up (AGAIN) tomorrow!! unless, of course, somebody else should put something yummy on the boards!! I can tell this board is gonna be bad for my diet!!! oh well.....simply read my signature!! :wink: :wink:

I had the first picking of sweet corn last night. It was not quite ready but we picked it any way. Dang good with fried cube stake and fresh green beans and home grown new taters and home made biskets. I also had sliced tomato and onion cut up with salt, peper and vineger while waiting on dinner to finish cooking.
Oh yeah. I almost forgot. A slice of home made and still warm pound cake and a big glace of milk before bed.
With cooking like that I think I will keep running that girlfriend 1.0 program.

O.K., Alabama,

We are 'way up north, and we won't be able to eat what you are until end of July- into August. Just wait,...we'll beat you yet into fixins'!!!

Broke Cowboy, you've got the recipe the way I do it with minor changes. I'd put 2X as much water as rice and no salt. Which makes the big difference? :eek:

Mike, I agree, big chunks of rice is good for some things, but most of the time its not. Some garlicy things are real good on blobs of rice.!!!!!!! :wink:

Latest posts