• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Speaking of Calving Cameras and Twins

Help Support Ranchers.net:

randiliana

Reaction score
Here's a short video for you....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGqUoxjq0hY&feature=youtu.be

These two were born Feb 26 @3:30 AM. Of course on the stormiest night we have had all winter.... Glad I had the camera. I stayed up late watching and after and hour thought, she must have something going on. I suspected twins, as she had a set last year (by herself) and calved a year, to the day, previously. Raised them both too....

Anyways, I woke DH, said I'm going to check her out, something's up, she's been calving for quite a while and no feet or anything showing. Fortunately she was co-operative enough. Got her in the headgate, reached in and, we had a bum, a tail and a whole lot of other appendages... Found the one hind leg and got it up, then called DH (cell phones are wonderful!) told him that we had twins and one was breech and I didn't know if I could manage on my own. By the time he got up there, I had the first one straightened out, and nearly pulled. Alive, DH got him going while I helped his (feisty) sister out, she didn't like me grabbing her feet, I guess. Anyways got her out, and going and that was it.

The nicest thing about the camera was that we didn't have to go up there and disturb her several times while waiting for her to calve(or not). In the early morning hours, or when it is stormy, that is going to be real nice. Just get up check the camera and hopefully go back to bed.... Well, except for the fact that we still have to check all the outside cows :roll:

If anyone wants to watch the real action, here you go. I think there is about 1/2 hour of footage, and I don't have the bandwidth to edit it :mad: .
http://www.livestream.com/randiliana/video?clipId=pla_593998ed-ce51-4250-8abd-6b0013486a39

Looks like a good momma to me - - - I would like to have 2 dozen just like her. She might get homesick not seeing snow!

jingo2 - - - I'm sure you don't approve but that is all on you - - - do you still have oil lamps or are you to fat and lazy and have changed to electricity.

I'm surprised you have a computer - - - I guess you are to lazy for smoke signals!

I guess I should delete the last two paragraphs - - - not today.

Now you have gone and spoiled yourself with that camera :lol: ,trust me it won't be long and you will have a camera out in your big corral also,so you can watch everything from the comfort of your house.I put the camera up in the corral first,and i would calve everything on the bed in the corral and then i would have to take the sleigh out and bring the calf and cow to the barn right away,that was good enough for last year.This year beforing calving started another camera was put up in the barn,with those 2 ptz cameras i can see every cow on the place.It won't be long and you will be saying,if they took my camera's away and i had to calve cows the old fashion way again,the cattle liners better be in the yard already!!!

Thanks, George. She sure is a good mama! That cow family is pretty maintenance free (she had an exception this year) and they can raise calves! Got a few like her, I like them.

3words, I would have loved to get the PTZ for the corral too, but gotta convince DH first. The price tag held him off of it this year. Sure makes things easier, but then, I gotta get some exercise somehow lol.

George said:
Looks like a good momma to me - - - I would like to have 2 dozen just like her. She might get homesick not seeing snow!

jingo2 - - - I'm sure you don't approve but that is all on you - - - do you still have oil lamps or are you to fat and lazy and have changed to electricity.

I'm surprised you have a computer - - - I guess you are to lazy for smoke signals!

Cute!!

No back before I sold my cows I actually GOT UP, and went to the barns and actually looked with own 2 eyes @ my cows in the lots. In fact, I was dedicated to them at times I'd even go ck every 2 hrs, depending on the cow.

And I actually did my own work with own 2 hands!!! Yeah, can you believe it???

If you're gonna have an investment and perishable item like a cow, you better get YOUR lazy azz up and out and ck on them themselves.

See the person with the fancy camera said that they had to get up anyway to ck the outside cattle....

People today are too damn lazy and fat and waste too much money on toys.

jingo2 said:
George said:

Cute!!

No back before I sold my cows I actually GOT UP, and went to the barns and actually looked with own 2 eyes @ my cows in the lots. In fact, I was dedicated to them at times I'd even go ck every 2 hrs, depending on the cow.
I once had a bull like that that threw big calves, I sold him

Most everyone else does to. But cameras can be cheaper if you are busy all the day and might have the work load that you consider hired help. A camera can sure be a lot cheaper than a hired man

If you're gonna have an investment and perishable item like a cow, you better get YOUR lazy azz up and out and ck on them themselves.
yes but many times a camera can do the job

See the person with the fancy camera said that they had to get up anyway to ck the outside cattle....
Didn't you ever notice how a cow gets distracted from her calving when someone walks in. These cameras can be doing the cow a favor to let her do her job without interuption

Laziness most generally comes from people who don't work and just collect the monthly trust fund check. Pull that trust fund check off your eyes so you can see

jingo2 said:
George said:

Cute!!

That's nice, Wheaties---good on ya'! However, it can take a nervous type up to 1/2 an hour to get back to stage she was at when you disturbed her. And every extra 1/2 hour in labor can delay estrus by many days. This goes to 'breed back' date, which goes to calving date, which goes to doa at weaning, which goes to return on 'investment' on yer 'perishable item'---how's that 'saline solution dispersal discouragement device' aworkin' out fer ya?

jingo2 said:
George said:

Cute!!

Maybe if you had a camera you would still have cows.

NUFFIELD said:
jingo2 said:
George said:

Cute!!

Maybe if you had a camera you would still have cows.

:D :D :D :D :D Now that's funny! :D :D :D

Latest posts