• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Speaking of cold weather !

Help Support Ranchers.net:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I am just wondering how your Pyrenees are doing in this really cold weather , especially with us going down to 50 tonight .

Spartan (Pyrenees/Anatolian) will not go in his new insulated dog house no matter what we have tried and just likes to lay on the 5 king size duvets I have piled for him by the house on the wraparound deck which I move depending on where the snow and wind are coming from. I am really worried about him getting too cold tonight. Have tried putting him in the shop/barn but he has a fit because he is by himself and locked in. I really do not want him inside the house as he is finally getting acclimatized as well as the fact the he is huge, 150lbs . :roll:

Gcreekrch and other LGD owners how do your Pyrenees handle this weather if they will not go inside a dog house etc.

Thanks

We put an uninsulated dog house in the sheep pen and stuffed it with hay, Bobby uses it quite often. We lost the older dog to what we think was a bone splinter about a month ago. She was fine one evening, dead and bleeding from her rectum the next morning.

Wolves are out in this weather, if your dog doesn't want shelter leave him be. He knows where shelter is if he needs it.

If you have put a flap over the door on the freezer try taking it off so he can see out.

Cowwrangler I am sure he wants some company , but hubby usn't home to share the dog house with him . :p

Sorry about your dog Gcreekrch .

I brought Sparty in a for a few minutes just to take the chill off and then he wanted back out again. I will just keep an eye on him to make sure his ears and mouth are still warm. Not sure what you mean about a freezer but his custom built dog house doesn't have a flap on it and it is right in the yard close to the house so he can see it and still look around . Maybe one day. He does have empty calf shelters to go into that have been bedded down waiting for calving to start and there are straw packs all over that the cattle are on so as you said I am sure if he gets too cold here he will move somewhere else.

Thanks again . :tiphat:

I used to feed sheep hay in turned tractor fronts with a plywood bottom..........they just loved getting in them,being protected from every direction except up,but they could just lift their head up and look around.
Pyrs are pretty tough,they will find a comfy spot.
mine seem to do most of their work at night..........during the day there seems to have been a dog massacre with all of them laying around sprawled out.........thats cuz they have been going all night

hayguy said:
now that it's warmed up somewhat, how did your dog make out through the cold?

He did great hayguy, thanks for asking . He got a little frosty when we hit minus 39 without the wind chill though. I would just bring him in periodically to take the chill off and after about 10 minutes he would be waiting by the doors to go back out. For being such a massive dog that makes coyotes shake in their "boots", he sure is a big baby . :wink:

He fared better than my chore tractor during the cold snap ;the oil pan heater conked out and I was without a tractor for 3 days . :???:

hillsdown said:
hayguy said:

He did great hayguy, thanks for asking . He got a little frosty when we hit minus 39 without the wind chill though. I would just bring him in periodically to take the chill off and after about 10 minutes he would be waiting by the doors to go back out. For being such a massive dog that makes coyotes shake in their "boots", he sure is a big baby . :wink:

He fared better than my chore tractor during the cold snap ;the oil pan heater conked out and I was without a tractor for 3 days . :???:

For heater failure situations like you encountered, what about one of those tank top radiant heaters that screws into the valve of a propane bottle? I have one in the shop for spot heating and it sure kicks out a lot of heat for not much fuel or money.

http://www.heatershop.com/infrared_heater_mh12t.html

It would pretty well fit under a tractor's oil pan and could be backed away as necessary so it wouldn't be so close as to create a fire hazard.

Lots of options out there to choose from and they could sure save a lot of trouble. Or cause it if used wrongly!

burnt said:
hillsdown said:
hayguy said:

For heater failure situations like you encountered, what about one of those tank top radiant heaters that screws into the valve of a propane bottle? I have one in the shop for spot heating and it sure kicks out a lot of heat for not much fuel or money.

http://www.heatershop.com/infrared_heater_mh12t.html

It would pretty well fit under a tractor's oil pan and could be backed away as necessary so it wouldn't be so close as to create a fire hazard.

Lots of options out there to choose from and they could sure save a lot of trouble. Or cause it if used wrongly!

That is what I finally used on it . An hour with the heater on and it fired right up. Just one of those things that always happens the coldest week of the year and I am here by myself . My battery kicked the bucket last week too .

I have a magnetic heater on it now but cannot get it on the bottom of the pan as the drive shaft runs under it and there is a big metal cover . Need to find the proper heater for it, but it was 8 years ago that we got the dead one and no one can remember where we got it . :oops:

Latest posts