• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Speaking of fence stretchers, here is a great gate lever

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
These pictures were taken at a neighboring ranch, where we summer cows and calves. Our neighbor makes and sells these very nice gate levers. He claims they are so tough and efficient, you can stretch a quarter mile of fence at the same time you shut the gate. :wink:

We have used this style of gate lever for years, and they work very well. They are also easy to open from the back of a saddle horse. There is enough curve in the latch part, that even if the snap comes undone by mistake, the lever stays hooked on the gate-stick.

Gateleverbeforeitispulledtight.jpg

Gate lever before it is pulled tight
Intheclosedposition.jpg

In the closed position
Close-upview.jpg

Close-up view
Theotherend.jpg

The other end
Awell-builtgateandboxcorner.jpg

A well built gate and box corner.

I just ran into one of those th past week or so and really liked it. Thinkin' about finding me a couple.

Thanks Soapweed-I'd noticed that you had a different type of gate latch in one of your earlier posts and was gonna ask you about them sometime.Wasn't sure if you'd have time to get a picture tho! :wink:

Dumb question here folks...

We build gates like that here, call 'em west virginia gates. But we use wire to hold them closed.

Question: What do you all have at the bottom of that gate to hold it? Piece of barb? or something fancy?

We don't call em gates, we call em gaps. We've had barbedwire on ours up till the last few years. But A short fan belt works good too. I might not hate em so bad if we had some latches like that.

There's a reason behind my askin if it is patented. Would make a good ag project for daughter to show.

My Dad makes gate latches, only he doesn't put snaps on them... He puts a pig tail on them. You have to turn the pig tail to hook to the wire gate. Very hard for ctitters to open up..I don't think you could open them up a horse-back though....

Hey soapweed.....When did your neighbor come by my place? :D :D I have some like this that we made in 1964.One problem...If the snap or the top wire on the gate breaks,off go the livestock.A better choice is to use a lever like that and drop a wire-loop over the gate post and stick
We also use a closer like is shown in a following post,but use a cable and clamp or a small chain for the gate stick loop so they are adjustable.
Don't trust that thing to stay on the post if something breaks. :mad:

We've seen that kind before, as the boss man here uses them and they can stretch the heck out of whatever, the wire or the person shuttin' the gate( OUCH!!!) But I never seen that there rost gate thing-a-ma-bob, that one is weird, hubby says that he has seen one before. Must be good for them critters in Mont. :roll: :roll: :roll: :p

Faster horses said:
I've been going to post a picture of a Rost Gate Latch, so now I guess the time is right. They, too, are easy to open horseback. Rost Ranch here sells them. They are custom fencers. (It was getting late, so the photo is a bit dark.)

IMG_0195.jpg
FH - Am I correct in assuming that the "Gate Closer" is somehow permanently attached to the Main Fence Post?

DOC HARRIS

Have used the old wood haimes some what like the blue gate tighter-closer only with a loop of wire instead of a snap. The red one is about like what the state put on thier high way fences only it bolts to the post wuth two lag bolts.

Faster horses said:
DOC, to answer your question, the gate latch is anchored to the top of the post. Also, the picture might lead one to believe the 'fastener handle' is at a 90 degree angle. It is not. It is right in line with the gatepost.

Hope this helps!
Oh - - I see! The depth perception and angle appears skewed. I see it now! Thank you.

DOC

Latest posts