• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Speaking of spotlights

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I know we had a thread about spot lights before but I picked up a Interstate light at Carquest for $18 it uses 4AA batteries. They last pretty good.
It's not the light to carry in the truck to check hill tops half a mile away but walking pens it throws a nice white light and it is light and handy to carry.

It says 40 hours on a set of batteries. I have carried one out most night to put dogs in and plug in tractors. Haven't changed batteries yet. :D

I've always wanted to buy one of those that you put on the roof and have a remote to turn it. Keeps the hand from gettn cold. They are kind of expensive though.

www.rigidindustries.com/

Got their flashlight this winter for calving. Expensive but the rechargable battery has no memory. 6 hour charge and it will run continuous for 4 hours on dim. Visibility is 500 yards on bright and about 200 yards on dim.
800 lumens on bright. :D

The strobe settings are a bit of a PITA to not start.

i've been using a bn railway lantern. it lights stuff up real nice, handy to carry. best thing i've found. been going since around 3/20 checking with it at night - still as strong as the first night. its nice if you got something needs working on at night.

can't find anything other than this ebay link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BN-Railroad-Lantern-/130840603478#ht_82wt_940

gcreekrch said:
www.rigidindustries.com/

Got their flashlight this winter for calving. Expensive but the rechargable battery has no memory. 6 hour charge and it will run continuous for 4 hours on dim. Visibility is 500 yards on bright and about 200 yards on dim.

I have a Rigid LED 30" light on the front of my Dodge. It's pretty incredible. It's bullet proof, shines like the sun, and draws no power so you can run it right through the switch with no relay. Now I just have to unbolt the Dodge off the back of it an bolt the Ford onto it and I'll really have something! :shock:

I bought this brinkmann before Christmas, I have never charged it. I pulled it out a the box to help with a truck wreck in the middle of the night a few months ago and then used it to night check for a neighbor a few nights. I have probably 6 to 8 hrs run time on it and it still has a charge. It is not heavy either. Check it out, I feel it is pretty good for the money.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brinkmann-800-5000-W-Brinkmann-Q-Beam-with-Night-Vision-Spotlight/22145427

flyingS said:
I bought this brinkmann before Christmas, I have never charged it. I pulled it out a the box to help with a truck wreck in the middle of the night a few months ago and then used it to night check for a neighbor a few nights. I have probably 6 to 8 hrs run time on it and it still has a charge. It is not heavy either. Check it out, I feel it is pretty good for the money.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brinkmann-800-5000-W-Brinkmann-Q-Beam-with-Night-Vision-Spotlight/22145427

Mine is that stanley 2m series don't buy one of those.

I was needing new spotlights this year and picked up a couple made by PEAK- 1,000,000 candle power, cordless rechargeable spotlights, at our local True Value Store for about $20 each. These have plenty of reach and are not heavy. They have a comfortable pistol grip trigger switch. A regular two prong extension cord attaches for recharging. There is also a separate, small LED light that is pretty dim but nice to use as you're walking when the big beam is not necessary, to save on the battery. Of course these are new but a charge seems to last a long time and I'm satisfied. They also offered a much more expensive LED beam. I was tempted to try one but decided against it because of the price.

I have a Cyclops 3.5 million CP corded spotlight, 2200 lumens...batteries are never dead (as long as the 4 wheeler starts) and it is much lighter than the cordless types as well as being brighter than most. I'm on my 4th calving season with it and won't go back to the hassle of charging a cordless one. I have replaced the bulb once and bypassed the on/off switch when it went bad.
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=728896

I have also come to appreciate a good headlamp for when I have to get off the horse or 4 wheeler. $40 is not too much to pay for one of them if it is high quality.

Still keep a cheap cordless spotlight around for use on the horse, but don't use it often.

One heckuva spotlight:

http://www.magnalight.com/pc-316-55-rechargeable-hid-handheld-light--rl-11.aspx

I remember this thread a while back. Brinkman is the name but get the one with the chord coming out of it that plugs into a cigarette lighter recepticle then it is only dependant on the electrical system in whatever vehicle you are running. Ours is probably 20 years old and only had to ghange the plug a couple times. The rechargable ones wear your wrist out carrying them but only til the battery craps out which usually isn't quite through the second season.

flyingS said:

as Walmart Canada doesn't seem to have any, I had my bil bring one back from Phoenix.just got it on the weekend, seem's to be bright enough, like the hi-lo settings and the night-red setting might prove useful :wink: :wink: seem's light enough to carry as well. we'll give it a year or so and then report back

:lol: :lol: :lol:

gcreekrch said:
www.rigidindustries.com/

I am using finix flashlight and it is amazing light with powerful battery and awesome light effects as well..

Big Muddy rancher said:
I know we had a thread about spot lights before but I picked up a Interstate light at Carquest for $18 it uses 4AA batteries. They last pretty good.
It's not the light to carry in the truck to check hill tops half a mile away but walking pens it throws a nice white light and it is light and handy to carry.

It says 40 hours on a set of batteries. I have carried one out most night to put dogs in and plug in tractors. Haven't changed batteries yet. :D

Thanks for sharing short but impressive review about spotlight.. I am looking to get few so I will try to get similar lights..

Big Muddy rancher said:

40 hr battery huh ? well that oughta last you all winter on one charge with that weather turnin sour I doubt you will check on much except the ice box for something to eat.
good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

40 hr battery huh ? well that oughta last you all winter on one charge with that weather turnin sour I doubt you will check on much except the ice box for something to eat.
good luck

Hey ya old cogger, where you been hiding? Haven't seen you on here, except to harass Jigs. How are things down in Texas? Was starting to think you had the old Widder lady cornered.

LazyWP said:
HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

good luck

Hey ya old cogger, where you been hiding? Haven't seen you on here, except to harass Jigs. How are things down in Texas? Was starting to think you had the old Widder lady cornered.

Been South, Texas is finally getting some rain,winters setting in so not much hay making till spring but if the weather stays favorable I might buy batteries for my old junk equipment and see if I can remember how to roll a few.
Tell the Lady leather smith i said hello, those chinks she made me come in mighty handy in that thorn brush country.
Good luck

On a serious note, be careful what brand of batteries you buy , I Usta buy those copper top batteries suppose to be so good right ?
Well I had them in 3 maglites and one was a 3cell, kept one in my pickup one by my Bedroll and one in the tack room.
I went to use one of them one night dogs were barkin and it wouldn't work, when day lite set in I tried to put new batteries in it and couldn't get the batteries out, they swelled up in there, no way was you gonna break em loose
And the other two same deal I wound up throwing. Hundred dollars worth of flashlites away on account of those damn copper top batteries and truthfully they weren't in there that long.
No copper tops on my place again....$100 lesson well learnt.
Good luck

Latest posts