• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Spectacular Wreck

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Daughter and I were raking and baling the last hay feild today. It has been seeded down for 30 years and is rough. Well a pin jumped out of the arms that hold one wing of the 14 wheel V rake and the 7 wheels swung behind and flipped over the center leg with the wheel on it. Wished I had the camera. Well I used the front end loader and a Chain to pick up the center and another chain on the truck to pull the wing around and we got it flipped up right and move back in to position. Dropped the pin back in and used a tarp strap to hold it down as the bolt and washer that went in the bottom were gone. Lost about 1.5 hours as had to wait for chains from home but no real damage just one bent rake tooth. When all back together we noticed that a hydralic hose was to tight and that the center leg had gone right around one full revolution so just undid the hose a routed it where it was supposed to be. I still can't believe that nothing was broke but at least my daughter drove a little slower after because she wasn't listening to me before this happened. Guess Dad knew something after all.

Raking is where everbody starts out on the haying crew-not mentioning names here but someone near to me almost put my V rake in the tractor cab a few years back lol. It is a pretty fun job for someone starting out lol.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
your girl should consider herself EXTREMELY lucky....could have been so much worse!!! :eek:

ranchwife said:
your girl should consider herself EXTREMELY lucky....could have been so much worse!!! :eek:

She was in no danger except from a over heated Dad :!: :mad: she was told to run slower on that rough ground and now she knows why. I just can't believe that it went back togther so well. :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
ranchwife said:

She was in no danger except from a over heated Dad :!: :mad: she was told to run slower on that rough ground and now she knows why. I just can't believe that it went back togther so well. :lol:

bmr---i have a boy who will be 18 in a few weeks....more than once while running our case international tractors, he "failed to listen" and came close to disaster!!! He would come home and tell me ALL ABOUT IT and the mom and the nurse in me would just cringe at the visual!!!! Sheeeeeshhhhh! KIDS!!!! :roll: :roll:

We have a neighbor who was raking downhill when he crossed the pivot road. The hitch pin came out of the rake and the tounge raised up and the rake ran into the back of the seat on his Farmall, pinning him behind the steering wheel. He waved his hat until his son came over on the stacking tractor to see what was wrong. They pulled it off of him backward with a chain, and he spent a good long while recovering from a dislocated pelvis and general internal injuries. I don't know if they had a keeper pin that fell out, or they didn't use one. I do know in spite of the miserable recovery, he knew he was lucky he wasn't hurt worse. I think they were going to put a business band radio on the rake tractor also.

Prime example of idiotism.

This happened day before yesterday. Comin home rounded the corner and this is what we saw.....this just confirmed that my neighbor is an idiot. He was drivin his lil mow tractor while drunk, and has mowed this corner for some 40 odd years, n knows there's a big hole there. Haha we hopped out to make sure he wasn't still under the thing....then daughter said...ohhhhh I"mma take pics mom. So thought I'd share

Johns-mow-tractor.jpg

Johns-mow-tractor-2.jpg

BMR,

What kind of V-rake do you have? We have a CIH rake that we got last year its a 14 wheel and it likes to break bolts off in the brackets that hold the big cylinder pins on. Have to really watch it close when your on rough ground. :roll:

We have a Sovema bought last year as well. I better go check it out. Thanks for the heads up, I'm glad everything turned out well for you in the end.

It's where 2 arms and the heavy peice from the wing with the wheels all jion. There is a heavy roll pin thru the top and a bolt holding a washer on the bottom.

I am thinking about geting one of those V rakes. it would cut my rake time in half. What brand would y'all recomend? I don't want a heavy one just a light easy to pull thing. I will be uesing it on terresed land.

Alabama - I went through 2 of those "light rakes" in 3 years. The v rakes mounted on caddies. They aren't worth much.
Bought an H&S about 5 years ago and haven't had a bit of trouble w/ it.
Starting to break some teeth, but that is from normal wear as it has covered a lot of ground.

I have an older model V-14 Tonutti rake, works OK but there are sure better and heavier rakes on the market. The most problems are with the pins where the foldout ram is mounted....have to make sure they're checked and tightened if required daily. I also hate trying to track down metric bearings and parts.

Some people say Westward v-rakes are one of the best available but are probably on the pricey side!

Big Muddy rancher said:
Daughter and I were raking and baling the last hay feild today. It has been seeded down for 30 years and is rough. Well a pin jumped out of the arms that hold one wing of the 14 wheel V rake and the 7 wheels swung behind and flipped over the center leg with the wheel on it. Wished I had the camera. Well I used the front end loader and a Chain to pick up the center and another chain on the truck to pull the wing around and we got it flipped up right and move back in to position. Dropped the pin back in and used a tarp strap to hold it down as the bolt and washer that went in the bottom were gone. Lost about 1.5 hours as had to wait for chains from home but no real damage just one bent rake tooth. When all back together we noticed that a hydralic hose was to tight and that the center leg had gone right around one full revolution so just undid the hose a routed it where it was supposed to be. I still can't believe that nothing was broke but at least my daughter drove a little slower after because she wasn't listening to me before this happened. Guess Dad knew something after all.
Raising kids is just like training Mules - (this from a Missouri farm kid!) You must get their ATTENTION. THEN - be sweet and quiet and gentle - - -and - -and - - a - gosh I've forgotten - oh, yeah - - soft spoken! And repeat and repeat and repeat and repe --

DOC HARRIS said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Raising kids is just like training Mules - (this from a Missouri farm kid!) You must get their ATTENTION. THEN - be sweet and quiet and gentle - - -and - -and - - a - gosh I've forgotten - oh, yeah - - soft spoken! And repeat and repeat and repeat and repe --

repeat---repeat-----repeat---repeat-----geeee, i think my face is turning blue!!!! Oh, that's right.....it's the look most of us parents get when we are trying to get something through to our teenagers :wink:

Bridgeview Manufactoring make a real nice well made v-rake. And I think its priced right tooo. And the dealer for them that I deal with ships ALOT of their equipment to the US.

check out there website:http://www.bridgeviewmanufacturing.com

and send them an email for more info and prices.

Latest posts