• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Spike Van Cleve; Montana American Cowboy

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
I have no idea how many of you may have read Spike Van Cleve's
books--"Day late and a dollar short" and "Forty Years Gatherin's".
Spike was a rancher/horseman around Big Timber, Montana and the books
are very good. They were stories of what happened while he was
ranching. He is deceased. His wife hase written one book, I think.

I found this on youtube and wanted to share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS1VspBus-8

Enjoy!

Great. I have read and re-read both those books many time. He was the same age as my Dad and they told very similar stories, tho' I screwed up and never got all of Dad's written down.

These are two of my favorite books of all time. I'm almost up to H's level so I have a hard time getting through a book, but Spikes are a different deal. He can have me laughing my a$$ off in one chapter and bawling like a baby in the next. No better story teller ever lived.

Thanks for posting this link, Faster Horses. Once when our kids were quite small, our family stopped at the Van Cleve ranch. Spike had passed away several years previous, but we had a nice visit with his wife, Barbara. She was quite taken with little Sparky, who was all cowboyed up and probably eight or nine years old at the time. She wanted him to come back to their ranch and be a wrangler when he got old enough.

Latest posts