• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

splittin hairs... but i can still say

Help Support Ranchers.net:

and i thought you guys were going to let me get away with that one.... and i was soooo sneaky.

There are common threads to all the defects in the hereford breed none of which you will find hide nor hair of here and without the use of a dna filter

dag gammut (gone fishing thread got that stuck in my head) you weren't even sneaky either.

DejaVu said:
Idiopathic Epilepsy.......Horned Hereford

Hypotrichosis........Hereford

We all have our problems :wink:

Ironically I was just visiting with a hereford breeder yesterday- and he brought that one up...I'd never heard of it- but he mentioned a breeder that wasn't having a sale again this year because of the problem..

Oldtimer said:
DejaVu said:

Ironically I was just visiting with a hereford breeder yesterday- and he brought that one up...I'd never heard of it- but he mentioned a breeder that wasn't having a sale again this year because of the problem..

well bravo for him - i'd like to shake his hand.

Ok, I'm curious have any of you honestly , actually ever seen a AMC, or NHC calf ??

Unless you are breeding a purebred angus carrier cow to a purebred carrier bull it's impossible to get one. I personally think the Angus Association has caused us to jump through a lot of hoops unnecessarily.

DejaVu said:

I was not aware of IE in Horned Herefords. I know the Canadian Association announced this year they were going to start testing for it, along with a few other things.

Has the American Association been testing for it? Which lines are carriers? H76 any advice on this?

As a separate note, is idiopathic epilepsy identified in either the gelbvieh or red angus breeds? We used a RA x Gelbvieh terminal bull for a few years and shipped him this year (like H76, just to say we did the crossbreeding deal). Over 50% of the calves off of him this past year showed either full blown IE or symptoms. Never had experienced anything like that before and don't want to ever again.

Integrity of the Breed.
Would you want to breed this INTO your herd.

edit: relates to EFB's comment. There is a commercial herd locally using these blood lines and they had over two dozen AM calves fall of '08.

Aaron said:
DejaVu said:

I was not aware of IE in Horned Herefords. I know the Canadian Association announced this year they were going to start testing for it, along with a few other things.

Has the American Association been testing for it? Which lines are carriers? H76 any advice on this?

As a separate note, is idiopathic epilepsy identified in either the gelbvieh or red angus breeds? We used a RA x Gelbvieh terminal bull for a few years and shipped him this year (like H76, just to say we did the crossbreeding deal). Over 50% of the calves off of him this past year showed either full blown IE or symptoms. Never had experienced anything like that before and don't want to ever again.

Try this Aaron.

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i4.dll?1=232B21&2=2428&3=56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&11=CCCFCBC8FCCDCAC4C219C4D1C0A6DED1DDDACECAA2EDC8DADED9D6A6D2A5DCB4DEABDEA5A9AADAB5A2AAA0A1BFA3ADABA9A9AAB8CEF9F98C

I know that there is probably a smaller list but couldn't find it right off hand.

Horned Hereford said:
Aaron said:
DejaVu said:

Try this Aaron.

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i4.dll?1=232B21&2=2428&3=56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&11=CCCFCBC8FCCDCAC4C219C4D1C0A6DED1DDDACECAA2EDC8DADED9D6A6D2A5DCB4DEABDEA5A9AADAB5A2AAA0A1BFA3ADABA9A9AAB8CEF9F98C

I know that there is probably a smaller list but couldn't find it right off hand.

Thanks HH. Seems to be pretty much isolated to the Line 1 Herefords? Just one more reason why I don't care for L1 cattle.

Latest posts