• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Spotlights

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Work Hard and Study Hard

Reaction score
Who makes the best spotlight? It seems like I buy a new rechargeable spotlight every year because after the first year they just don't hold their charge long enough to check the cows. I've got an old 1 million candlepower corded coleman that's been rebuilt about 5 times that's about shot and it puts out a hell of a lot more light than these new 2 and 3 million ones do.

Work Hard and Study Hard said:
Who makes the best spotlight? It seems like I buy a new rechargeable spotlight every year because after the first year they just don't hold their charge long enough to check the cows. I've got an old 1 million candlepower corded coleman that's been rebuilt about 5 times that's about shot and it puts out a hell of a lot more light than these new 2 and 3 million ones do.

A million of anything just doesn't go as far as it used to. :wink: :)

http://www.magnalight.com/default.aspx

Candle power tells you nothing except how bright the light is at the light source. Light can be focused to certain distances.

Confused? This may help:

http://www.theledlight.com/lumens.html

I guess Kit Pharo doesn't night check so no one else one here does either :wink:

Mike I read the information but when you read the item descriptions on the lights they are merely in candlepower and nothing else. This gentleman says they are now "candela", maybe he should tell the manufacturers.

I'm not so much looking for wide illumination as I am for beam distance. My old Coleman had a knob to focus the beam far or near and that's something I can't find in any of the new lights.

You could try one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93366

I had an older version that lasted about 4 years for me and it seemed to work real good for me. But, don't buy a spare if unless you know you are going to break the first one. I had one on the shelf for 3 years and when I needed it this spring, the battery would not take a charge. Speaking of which, I have to go check those darn heifers now. :wink: :wink:

I have no idea what Kit Pharo does. I, for one, do not check the cows at night. I have wide-based, deep, broody, powerful cows that do not need assistance calving. I calve out in the open so it would be hard to stop a wreck, were I to find one, until morning anway.

I do, however, share your frustration in finding a good spotlight. I haven't been on this earth near as long as a lot of people on here and I can already tell......they don't make things like they used to!

I have found the Brinkmann Q-Beam Max Million II Spotlight to work well for me. I have been using it since the spring of 2006 for spring and fall calving, as well as some hunting. It came with two batteries--I'm currently on the second battery and it doesn't last like it used to, but I think I will make it through this calving season.....maybe. :) It can operate either off the batteries or with a cord.

http://www.brinkmann.net/

I use a Vectorlite when checking the big bunch, (not very often). It's 12 volt, not rechargable. The heifers, I use a handheld 2-battery Maglite. Not a lot of light, but don't want a lot of light. Shadows spook the cows. I'm sure they have a website.

I guess Kit Pharo doesn't night check so no one else one here does either.

I rarely check at night with wood's in our pastures you can't find them anyhow.I live 12 miles from where I calve and if you figure all the fuel cost running back and forth.Checking on cow's that can take care of themselves is a waste of money.

Nebraska Sandhills said:
I have found the Brinkmann Q-Beam Max Million II Spotlight to work well for me. I have been using it since the spring of 2006 for spring and fall calving, as well as some hunting. It came with two batteries--I'm currently on the second battery and it doesn't last like it used to, but I think I will make it through this calving season.....maybe. :) It can operate either off the batteries or with a cord.

http://www.brinkmann.net/

I took your advice after looking at about 50 spotlights on line. I've already got enough spotlights that are cordless that work well in confined areas. I went to the Brinkman site and found a Q-Beam Max Million III that is cig light powered and has 3 million candlepower. I got it UPS today and it's exactly what i've been looking for. Thank You Nebraska Sandhills.

PS, this light is so bright I've already advanced a heat cycle due to the extra daylight. To keep from turning my spring calving cows into late fall calvers I fastened part of a Vigortone bag over the lense. Not only has it kept the new mothers from bulling it's elimaneted the planes from landing in my pasture.

Latest posts