• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Spring Fling on the Desert

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Its been a busy few weeks around here lately. School finally paroled our 2 kids for the summer and they haven't lit for more than an hour at a time since. Both had turkey permits and we spent a few early mornings and some evenings looking for a tom turkey. Littlest H was the first 2 connect after his big sister missed twice. We had permission to hunt some private land and the birds spent their time in a new grain field. They were stubborn and would never leave the hens in the field to come into my seductive calling and the good looking decoy we had staked out. But one Tuesday evening we finally were in the right place at the right time. We called a tom across 2 ridges and Littlest H put the smackdown on him at 49 and a half yards. The tom has a 6 inch beard and 3/4 inch spurs and had been banded by the wildlife department when he was transplanted here. Great times! :D

Then it was little H's turn. She redeemed her previous misses in fine fashion. We went out early after a close encounter the night before. Had a pretty setup and when the turkey flew down he was ours! Or not! He had been shot at twice by someone :D and he was wary. Cant say I blame him. We messed with that tom for an hour and a half and he would gobble and strut but would not come a step. We called up hens and they acted as live decoys and he still wasn't buying it. So Little H and I made a careful stalk up into the saddle he was strutting it and she way-laid him like a pro. Another 2 year old tom that was just a shade lighter than her brothers bird. Pretty proud of both of our hunting kids! They are AWESOME!!! :clap:

Yesterday I got to spend the day a horseback moving cattle with my cousin's family. What a blessing it is to ride with fine folks over rough cow country! We met at the ranch at 7 with Phil and Wayne coming 60 miles and me making the shorter 45 mile trip. We saddled up and headed out to gather stuff up to move em' to fresh grass.

Our country is made up of lots of granite ledges and some of them are put together in curious and beautiful fashion.

My circle took me towards Burn Canyon while Phil checked the Burbett Hollow and Wayne took Sheeprock Canyon. The plan was to bunch what we found and head them toward the Dutchman hollow. I went to check a trough that splits the fence between our allotment and a section of private land we used to lease until it was sold early this year. I guess the cows didn't know we lost the lease as 10 pair had found a bad spot in the fence and moved in. I got on their tracks and followed them up through the granite.

I got em' turned around and headed for the gate. Our new neighbor is an interesting character and even though the fences are in tough shape, he has a very short patience level if a cow goes through his fence. Hopefully he turns into a decent neighbor but time will tell. We will sure do our best to keep the cows from straying onto him. Did have 1 small wreck when "Rooster", my horse of Phil's I was mounted on didn't know we had 1 more cow behind us and though she was a killer grizz. We busted through a cedar tree which kindly got both my nostrils flowing blood. But we got settled down and not much harm done, Except for a bloody shirt. Its all good.

I ended up with 20 pair after scouring a few ridges to knock cows back into the bottom. Started them back toward the Dutchman Hollow.

We got back together and had a nice little jag of 66 head. Cows are doing well even though Pasture 3 isn't the best part of our range.

The prickly pare cactus were wearing their best spring colors!

Well, we moved across the foothills a ways and then took a right turn toward Cottonwood Canyon. The grass over here is considerably better.

It was a hot day as it went on. Ended up at 91 degrees and the younger calves were tired. But we wanted to get them as far west as we could as the water on that side of this pasture peeters out as summer approaches. This way, they can use the west grass and drift east to good water as the west side dries up. They did not think the Charter Oak pass was worth climbing but we persuaded them. :D
Headed up....

And away they go. Strung out and up the trail. I love it when cattle string out like that.

They strung right over and down into Pine Canyon. Plenty of groceries and H2o. They oughta be happy bovines for the next 6 weeks.

Phil and "Buster" headed for the trailer. 70 Miles directly over his hat and south is home for him.

Wayne riding "Jack" headed for home too. Probably another 75 miles from here to Nephi where he lives over east. But only 4 miles to the trailer.

Solving all the worlds problems!~ :lol: Or possibly discussing how much help the guy in the back taking pictures is or isn't!

We swung around past my Grandparents home ranch. This is about as close as I get these days. I sure miss the old days with my Grandma and family memories. Another of my relatives owns it now and it's their place. I sure don't begrudge them from owning it but things have changed with time and those changes do not include me. At least I had the honor to know the folks who built the place and touched my life in so many ways. Grandpa and Grandma, you need to know that I love ya and the life you carved on this desert! Thanks for your hard work and perseverance! Thanks for the many lessons you have taught me, even after you have been gone! And thank you for the legacy of love you instilled in all of us! Richard and Marg Ekker were the best! Have a nice sunday my friends.
H'

You have more diplomacy than I. I'd tell my new neighbor he can fence cows out if he doesn't like the occasional "Jailbreak"

Thanks for sharing the photo's. Great turkey hunt, and the end product sure will be tasty, too! And keep on sharing those memories of your 'grands' because that helps your kids 'remember' them, too.

Re. the fence problems, it would be so much harder in your beautiful terrain keep fences up. I don't envy that aspect of the location. Is your fence law as it is here where each owner stands in the middle of the line of fencing, then must care for the fence to his right? I don't know if there are requirements for how the fence is built. We always build new fence really well because we know it will be a long time before we can get back to repair it, unless there is an emergency. And it seems we always are pretty far behind on fixing any that just needs a little work, but still holds cattle. And that is MUCH to the dismay of the eldest partner on the ranch! Not that everyone isn't working more than they should be already, either. We probably need to update our fencing methods, as pushing posts into the ground works very well for others who are using that method. But, 'some of us' still cherish 'the hard way' of doing things because surely it must be best. End of my sarcasm for the moment!

mrj

Thank for the kind words folks.

Jody that wild turkey looks a little different than the "pints" of wild turkey I used to be familiar with in college :) Bet ya its better for ya though. We smoked both birds and they were really good.

PPRM and Gcreek, I have never been accused of having many diplomacy skills. :) This new neighbor is actually an old neighbor that sold out 30 years ago and then bought that section back this January. In his world, the fences were perfect 30 years ago and should still be. Even though the owner between his selling and buying made 3 trips out in 30 years. Since Phil leased it and has grass surrounding it, we didn't have to worry about the fences. But I do believe a guy oughta do his best to keep his stock on his own place and not on the neighbors. Utah law states that his fence is his responsibility. And I have yet to see grass climb through a fence and get in with cattle :) But what is a trifle curious is the attitude he has. Nothing new there as he lives where I live and treats everyone about the same way. But life is way to short to get spun up to far over a fella who aint the bull of the desert anymore and hasn't been for decades. He is a good guy if he needs something from ya and below average if he don't. It isn't worth the heartburn to pay him much attention so we wont. And when his cattle get out, and they will, I will grin when I visit with him. Phil and Wayne and I all work day jobs and he wants the cows gone about 2 seconds after he calls ya to say they got in. We got em out 2 days after they got in. He'll get over it :) Checking fence is a big part of running cattle.

Faster Horses our kids are growing way too fast. Little H is as tall as her Mom and will be a freshman in high school this fall. She was just elected to be FFA Historian and Reporter in her high school. She is a great young lady and I may have to get 2 shotguns to keep the boys away. Littlest H is now 10 and a bundle of energy. He lives to hunt and fish and ride horses and motorcycles. He is a great young man and a fine helper on any project I tackle. I am blessed as a guy could be!

Everything FH said.

it's a tough deal when what was once "family" is no longer. Been living that one for 11 years. About the time life seems to be getting back some sense of normalcy - a letter from a lawyer appears or a phone call arrives and it's 'game on' again. :cry:

leanin' H said:

Jody that wild turkey looks a little different than the "pints" of wild turkey I used to be familiar with in college :) Bet ya its better for ya though. We smoked both birds and they were really good.

PPRM and Gcreek, I have never been accused of having many diplomacy skills. :) This new neighbor is actually an old neighbor that sold out 30 years ago and then bought that section back this January. In his world, the fences were perfect 30 years ago and should still be. Even though the owner between his selling and buying made 3 trips out in 30 years. Since Phil leased it and has grass surrounding it, we didn't have to worry about the fences. But I do believe a guy oughta do his best to keep his stock on his own place and not on the neighbors. Utah law states that his fence is his responsibility. And I have yet to see grass climb through a fence and get in with cattle :) But what is a trifle curious is the attitude he has. Nothing new there as he lives where I live and treats everyone about the same way. But life is way to short to get spun up to far over a fella who aint the bull of the desert anymore and hasn't been for decades. He is a good guy if he needs something from ya and below average if he don't. It isn't worth the heartburn to pay him much attention so we wont. And when his cattle get out, and they will, I will grin when I visit with him. Phil and Wayne and I all work day jobs and he wants the cows gone about 2 seconds after he calls ya to say they got in. We got em out 2 days after they got in. He'll get over it :) Checking fence is a big part of running cattle.

Faster Horses our kids are growing way too fast. Little H is as tall as her Mom and will be a freshman in high school this fall. She was just elected to be FFA Historian and Reporter in her high school. She is a great young lady and I may have to get 2 shotguns to keep the boys away. Littlest H is now 10 and a bundle of energy. He lives to hunt and fish and ride horses and motorcycles. He is a great young man and a fine helper on any project I tackle. I am blessed as a guy could be!

When Little H graduates, you can send her up here to work. They ain't no boys this far back..... :D

gcreekrch said:
leanin' H said:

When Little H graduates, you can send her up here to work. They ain't no boys this far back..... :D

Debbie found one. :nod: :cowboy:

Big Muddy rancher said:
gcreekrch said:
leanin' H said:

Debbie found one. :nod: :cowboy:

And a pretty darn good one at that! :D :wink: :wink:

leanin' H said:

I agree with doing your best to keep cows in. My comment about "He would be reminded he can fence cows out" has more to do with dealing with folks who have the attitude of "Move them 2 seconds ago". You likely are dealing with it the best way. I have a habit of making people I don't want to talk to much stop talking to me ;-}

Latest posts