• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

spring mud fling'n

Help Support Ranchers.net:

starvin'dog

Reaction score
The wife and I were heading in to a banquet last night when I noticed the neighbors field all tore up with quad tracks. Sure enough a mile down the road they're sitting in my hay field hav'n some beers while a drowned bike is drying out. I got out of the van and one of the pr#@^s yelled "what the f--- do you want". "Money" was my response and some verbal diarhea flowed back and forth. One of them started forward with some cash and when his friends called him back I recognized him as a local bar room pugilist. 'Oh ****' I thought, now I'm gonna get muddy and probably bloody and worse yet ruin date night. He hit the ditch at a trot, but it was thigh deep with rotten snow and pitched him face first onto the road. I grabbed the hundred bucks from his hand and he asked 'does that make you happy'. Yup.
It was not my finest hour but we had a free night out and the baby sitter got paid well.
The astounding part is that they really didn't seem to have a clue that there is anything wrong with rutting up the country side.

Must have full moon last night. :shock:

I went out this morning to check the bulls along the hiway,3 were out and the gate was tore down. Not by bulls either. Tracks of a truck and a beer can sitting there. I went down the road aways and the gate to the neighbors bull pasture was open as well. :evil:

Gotta love the respectful public.

Here are a few shots from the forest allotment last spring... :roll:

You can see where they shot down every aspen tree they could, followed by the fence. We repair this spot each spring, and have suggested lining the area with boulders to limit access... the forest service is considering doing so, but it would require a lengthy study to make sure no resources would be damaged by relocating the rocks (seriously :roll:)... couldn't make this crap up if you wanted to.
Spring031.jpg

They haven't quite gotten this big old tree shot into two...yet.
Spring029.jpg

Our welcome back sign.
Spring2009223.jpg

They like to make creative targets during their destruction. Their favorite target, besides cattle, would be old television sets.
Spring046.jpg

I'd estimate 90% of all riparian areas located off of a road look like this. And we're the ones who got sued and spent years, and several thousand dollars in litigation defending the alleged destruction our cattle supposedly caused to riparian areas... gotta love this "free" grazing.
Spring033.jpg

And the public wonders why we're a bit choosy as to who we allow onto private land to hunt and recreate :roll: .

Back about 1965 we had a major problem with one particular gate and the sheriff was out several times. One day the cattle were out and the gate was still locked but the "hunters " had cut the wire and laid it back and drove their car in and parked it. It was locked and in gear but my trusty old John Deere H ( I think 18 HP ) drug it with tires sliding into my barn and we called the sheriff again. I was 17 or 18 years old at the time and small ( I had to weigh 110 # to join the Corp - - I was 108 at the physical so the doctor gave me 30 minutes to put on 2 # - - - I went to the local Dairy Queen and drank the biggest strawberry shake they had and took another one to go, drank it before weigh in and made 110 on the dot ). The hunters tracked there car to my house before the sheriff got there and were mad!

They were not sure how to handle me ( 12 gague pump in hand ) and my German Shepherds but were determined to get their car back. Sheriff finally showed up and they went to jail. Can't remember how they got the car back but I'm sure they did not care for it.

This is not just "city folks" It is the state of mind of people today. No respect for ayone even themselves. They feel thngs are "owed" to them and they can do or say whatever with NO CONSEQUENCES for thier actions. most times they are right.

I know I dont have enough land to really worry about things lik that. I am sorry for what yall have to deal with.

must have been every where this weekend. Had some guys with ATV's with extremely loud pipes ripping up a back road. Cows with new calves crossing creeks deep enought that calves were swimming! The benefits of living close to a park i guess

Unbelievable.

Caught some unwelcome hunters on our land last fall. I had just put up no trespassing and no hunting signs up all over as my cattle were still on that quarter. All of my signs had been ripped down. I guess if you rip them down it doesn't make it trespassing .

Heard alot of quads ripping around on the weekend ,all they do is tear up the land this time of the year . I imagine there are alot of p@ssed off land owners . Which reminds me ,I had better go check the pasture, the darn lease road that goes through it never gets closed after they use it, let alone locked .

Had the same thing happen here this weekend. Found two town doppers out shooting up things. They where in a old farmstead that has a metal building on it and they where shooting at the building :mad: When I drove into the yard the jumped in their pickup and took off so I chased them down the road. Never got them stopped, so I went back and went up to a pasture that just up a trail from the farmstead and the shot holes in a stock tank :mad: I think the same guys drug some old furniture out into our pasture this winter a recliner chair and a couch. :roll:

Don't have that problem much here anymore.

A 12 gauge barrel under the nose does a lot to sober those guys up and word gets around. :shock:

One guy came in our pasture one fall and started spinning donuts. There were two entryways back then so I used the long route and cut him off at the pass. He was a lot bigger than me and as words flew he decided to get out of the truck. I stepped back to oblige him and when his head was between the door and the cab I kicked the door with all I had in me.

As the Indians here say..... Pretty soon he don't come back. :wink:

gcreekrch said:

A 12 gauge barrel under the nose does a lot to sober those guys up and word gets around. :shock:

One guy came in our pasture one fall and started spinning donuts. There were two entryways back then so I used the long route and cut him off at the pass. He was a lot bigger than me and as words flew he decided to get out of the truck. I stepped back to oblige him and when his head was between the door and the cab I kicked the door with all I had in me.

I guess you could call that ringing his door bell. Was there anybody home after that? :lol:

Every fall we have a zillion road hunters during deer season along the road going to the National Forest. Last fall was the first time I spent much time not hunting so I probably noticed even more. I caught a pickup load of guys watching a buck on WP's country, I knew they didn't have permission to hunt. Needless to say when I turned around they took off, I ran them down and took 100#s off the load straight out of their butt's. People like that are the main reason why no one local can find a place to hunt. It is the local people as well, there was a guy that lives right next to town that got caught hunting on some ground without permission after he had already been run off.

burnt said:
gcreekrch said:

I guess you could call that ringing his door bell. Was there anybody home after that? :lol:

His bell was definately ringing a softer tone when he drove off.

gcreekrch said:

Can I borrow you? :wink: I have a neighbour that could use this treatment! :mad:
Typical city transplant that doesn't have a clue. They've been in my pasture without my permission pissing around with my horses. He's shot arrows in my pasture, as far as I know he could have been shooting them at my horses as my horses are in that pasture. He's cut my fence along the road and never bothered to repair it. He thinks its his god given right to be able to graze his animals where ever he pleases. He has no fencing at the back of his property that backs onto crown land and he lets his animals graze there illegally. He has opened the gate to my 80 acres that also is connected to the same piece of crown land and let his animals free graze on my property. I presented him with 1 month pasture board bill, (as his animals were on my land for over a month after I told him to remove them) and he got all pissy about and won't pay it. I told him next time I see his animals on my land or on the crown land I will report it to forestry and the brand inspector. Idiot thinks he can do whatever he wants where ever he wants. :mad: :mad:

Jigger Boss said:
gcreekrch said:

Can I borrow you? :wink: I have a neighbour that could use this treatment! :mad:
Typical city transplant that doesn't have a clue. They've been in my pasture without my permission pissing around with my horses. He's shot arrows in my pasture, as far as I know he could have been shooting them at my horses as my horses are in that pasture. He's cut my fence along the road and never bothered to repair it. He thinks its his god given right to be able to graze his animals where ever he pleases. He has no fencing at the back of his property that backs onto crown land and he lets his animals graze there illegally. He has opened the gate to my 80 acres that also is connected to the same piece of crown land and let his animals free graze on my property. I presented him with 1 month pasture board bill, (as his animals were on my land for over a month after I told him to remove them) and he got all pissy about and won't pay it. I told him next time I see his animals on my land or on the crown land I will report it to forestry and the brand inspector. Idiot thinks he can do whatever he wants where ever he wants. :mad: :mad:

There is NO WAY that my neighbor can live in two places at the same time! :roll:
Unless he has an identical twin. :wink:

Latest posts